I know nothing about revolvers, but..

ie2special

Everyone keeps telling me I need one for concealed carry. In all honesty I have never been attracted to them, but I can see why people say they are best.

I am skinny and I wear tighter jeans and shirts. I do not want to be a purse carrier. I also want to be able to have one ready to go but have a safety. I would like laser grips or a gun that is easy to get them for.

I currently have a Glock 17 so I am used to lightweight. I have been avoiding a Glock for carrying due to the "safe action" not being safe enough for me. I am also in love with 1911's but am leery of the reliability of them, especially the compact ones I am looking at.

I think a revolver that could shoot both the .357 and the 38 special would be nice for practicing but I have no clue what I would want, I really need help.

Ben Towe

If you really dislike a gun you won't carry it. If a semi auto makes you feel better then that's what you should use. If you still think you want a revolver here are things to consider: in general, they do not have manual safeties, a small snubnosed .357 will be a handful to control even with hot. 38s, you have 5 or 6 shots generally (possibly 8), double action triggers will be heavy, laser grips can be had but are expensive (a few new revolvers come with lasers now I believe). Inside waistband carry sounds like what you will be doing unless you go for really deep concealment.

Revolvers are my love but they aren't for everybody. I would really think things over before spending a wad of cash. I won't get into the 1911s since its the Revolver Forum but start a thread about them in the Semi Auto Forum and see what you come up with. Options are always good.

It may appear that I'm pushing you away from revolvers, but that isn't the case. I want you to know the facts and the sacrifices you will make in a revolver. Don't worry, Automatics have drawbacks too. Bottom line is I don't care what kind it is as long as you carry it. Wheelgun, auto, or whatever.

Last edited:

Kodyo

If you have a holster that covers the trigger, it won't be a problem. The double action on a revolver is pretty heavy. I would avoid manual safeties personally, that way you don't fumble with it if you ever need it.

If I were to carry, I would probably get a 2.25" Ruger sp101 (They have a model that comes with laser grips). Disadvantage is that it only holds 5. Advantage is that it shoots higher power rounds and is pretty small.
You can get DA only revolvers as well from ruger.

ie2special

Ben you have a point. I just worry that vanity is getting in the way of what I want. I would really prefer to not have a massive recoil/kick, my Glock isn't even noticeable and I like that.

I appreciate the comments, they are just what I need :)

Kodyo

Go shoot a .357 before you make up your mind.
You would probably want to use .38 special (which kicks about as much as a 9mm auto). It's nice to be able to shoot something that has a little more kick to it like the .357, but most will tell you that it will over penetrate for defense purposes.

youngunz4life

Kodyo

Go shoot a .357 before you make up your mind.
You would probably want to use .38 special (which kicks about as much as a 9mm auto). It's nice to be able to shoot something that has a little more kick to it like the .357, but most will tell you that it will over penetrate for defense purposes.

I appreciate it because I keep thinking I need a .44 for every purpose under the sun, moon, or whatever else no matter how rare. We have a nice 6" ruger gp100 .357 for home defense as well as multiple, different long guns. As far as CCW's, we have a .38 derringer and another two short, snubnose 357's. I'm not gonna lie, some of the "can only choose one handgun for life" threads have made me miss my 44 purchase I never made. I mean defend your family with a 44 I don't think the BG is talking if you have any accuracy(which I do). You must be right though Kodyo! its probably just my revolver addiction, the 357 should be enough right unless I meet up with a bear?!:D

Kodyo

Bears are invading our cities and streets, always be prepared :D.
I wouldn't mind getting a 44 magnum myself, but mainly just to shoot around with. Would never consider it as a home defense weapon or even a carry.

jimbob86

I know nothing about revolvers, but..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone keeps telling me I need one for concealed carry.

This "Everyone" character ..... is he any relation to the "Sgt. They" that my First Sergeant swore he would "chop that (something about uncertain parentage) off at the knees!" if he ever caught up wth him......???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not want to be a purse carrier.

Good for you! Purse carry is a good way to give a firearm to a purse snatcher.........

Casimer

I also want to be able to have one ready to go but have a safety.

Just to confirm, a revolver doesn't typically have a switchable 'safety' - if that's what you mean. There's no lever that you move to activate a safety mechanism that will prevent the gun from firing. They're not so different from the Glock in that way. But they do tend to be very safe due to the weight and length of the trigger pull, and other internal safeties that prevent accidental discharges if the hammer is dropped.

I happen to like revolvers, but I also wouldn't dismiss the 1911. If you prefer them, there are some good carry options available. But you might have to spend a little more.

jimbob86

I am skinny and I wear tighter jeans and shirts.

You may have to dress around the gun a bit ...... but revolvers are, well, round...... most auto pistols are flat, and are skinnier than revolvers of the same general size. Dressing around a small auto would be much easier than dressing around a wheel gun, even a 5 shot snubby. Revolvers don't carry IWB as easy as Autos..... and pocket carry in tight jeans is ..... problematic.

. I also want to be able to have one ready to go but have a safety. I currently have a Glock 17 so I am used to lightweight. I have been avoiding a Glock for carrying due to the "safe action" not being safe enough for me.

Check out a Ruger sr9c ..... Thinner than a Glock (and rounded, too: not blockish), with a toggle trigger thingy similar to a Glock, but with a manual safety, too. That may be a bit too large, though, if you insist on wearing tight clothes ...... you may have to drop down to something like the LCP (.380).

jimbob86

but I also wouldn't dismiss the 1911. If you prefer them, there are some good carry options available. But you might have to spend a little more.

True. I carry a Springfield EMP, and that set me back a pretty penny.

engineer88

Here are my two pennies:

For your glock get a half kydex holster like a mtac, ctac, kholster, or crossbreed. These holsters sort of lock into place, they click and cover the trigger guard with a hard cover. That may make you feel a bit more comfortable with the glock.

Penny number two is that the SP101, while a tad heavy is one of the easier small 357's out there to shoot. Smith and Wesson also makes the 640, 649, 60, etc.

I have glocks as well and I still prefer my SP101 for daily carrying. I cannot explain why, it just suits me. There are many reasons, too numerous to list atm, but try one and see if it calls out to you. You will know. For myself revolvers have become more and more addictive. They may do the same for you as well. :)

jimbob86

Penny number two is that the SP101, while a tad heavy is one of the easier small 357's out there to shoot. Smith and Wesson also makes the 640, 649, 60, etc.

I also have an sp101 in .357, with the 3 1/16" barrel ...... lotsa fun to shoot (.38's- full house .357 loads are fun for about a dozen whacks! to the hand... ), but heavy to carry.

I have glocks as well and I still prefer my SP101 for daily carrying.

How do you carry that 101? I would like to carry mine, but have not found a comfortable way to tote it IWB..... OWB does not conceal very well for me: I'm not very "curvy" ..... old white man's disease.....

engineer88

You are gonna laugh Jimbo, but I carry it in one of those cheapie Galco $24. 99 leather holsters with the plastic belt clip. They redesigned them recently and the clip is smaller and there are cutouts into part of the leather of the holster that makes it lock into place nicely. The older versions of this holster were crap, but I give them credit for addressing the two problems the holster had and I think it is now a great value. Of course just as important as the holster is that it rides on a good stiff gun belt (5.11 Tac in my case). A speed strip on the left hand pocket along with my keys balances me out pretty good. :)

BigJimP

Before you get too far down the path of how to carry .... you need to educate yourself by shooting a variety of revolvers ...especially the Ruger and S&W offerings ... personally I like the S&W's ( I think the triggers are smoother / and esthetically I like them better as well ).

But you should go to a range that rents guns ...and shoot as many as you can. An associate and I just went thru this process ...he shot the airweights, the Rugers and the S&W's in 2", 4" and 6" ....and he settled on a S&W in 4" as his nitestand gun. He'll practice most of the time with it by shooting .38's / and a few .357 mag ....and he'll put it in the drawer with .357 mags in it ... We primarily practiced with it at 15', 21' and 30' ....he found with the 2 1/2" he couldn't hold his accuracy very well beyond 21' ...but the
6" he thought was just too much gun ...and he liked the smoothness of the S&W 4" model 66 ( a stainless gun / easy to take care of, etc )...

I'd suggest you go thru the same thing ... ( the gun shops were trying to convince my buddy he "needed" an airweight model ...) and after he shot them, he realized they were very difficult to shoot.

But there are lots of options for smaller / slimmer carry guns too - like the new Sig 238 in .380 / a 1911 in 4" ( in 9mm maybe ) like a Kimber tactical Pro II ( alloy frame - light ) / lots of options ... and you should shoot all of those too. In my opinion - a 1911 is very reliable / if you buy a good gun ...not the cheapest options out there ...but a Kimber or a Springfield maybe ...a Wilson Combat if you can afford it, is way better ...but lots of very good 1911's out there ...personally I carry a Wilson CQB model ...with no worries.

The Great Mahoo

ie2special, don't let others tell you what you need, only offer suggestions. :) Many of us like revolvers, especially for carry, but that doesn't mean they're for everyone. Try a few out first, or consider ways to work with an auto for better concealment and peace of mind, before laying down some cash on a new carry gun/sytem you may not like.

engineer88 said:
I have glocks as well and I still prefer my SP101 for daily carrying. I cannot explain why, it just suits me.
I'll have to agree whole heartedly. My Sp101 replaced my Glock 36 as my daily carry gun some time ago. Its a bit bulkier and heavier, but not noticibly so when riding my belt. I just find myself a bit more comfortable with it, and carrying spare ammo is a breeze compared to the large magazines used by Glock.

jimbob86 said:
How do you carry that 101?
I carry mine in one of three holsters, ATM.
OWB: Desantis scabbard w/ thumb break (not used very often) or Bianchi minimialist open top.
IWB: High Noon Hidden-Ally

These were all bought for a Taurus 2" 651 I had, but work with my 3" SP101 just fine. I am looking to replace the Highbnoon with one and am presently thinking AKJ Concealco, but haven't layed out the cash just yet. I'm trying to decide if I want an IWB/OWB convertable that can replace my all of my other holsters, or if I want another Tuckable like the one I have from K&D for my Glock. The reason I am looking to replace the Highnoon is that the large clip on it is too noticable, IMO, but it is nice to be able to take off the holster w/o undoing my belt.

Remember, its all about having a good belt to carry comfortably. If you are having problems, consider a new belt if you don't have a great one already.

ROGER4314

I think a revolver that could shoot both the .357 and the 38 special would be nice for practicing but I have no clue what I would want, I really need help.

First, this is a question that comes up often and there are lots of posts that you can refer to and evaluate. We all face the same decisions and they are difficult ones because pistol shooting is 90% mental. If YOU aren't comfortable with the tool that you chose, you will not shoot well with it.

The Glock 17 has millions of miles of carry experience backing it up. It is striker fired which means the gun is not "cocked" until the trigger is pulled. There are several other safety features built in and you need to learn to trust it. Glock 17 isn't the only choice available but you already have it so let's develop a plan that uses what you already have.

Take that pistol out and shoot it. Buy a truck load of ammo and keep shooting until you know that pistol like the back of your hand. When you get to that point, you will know what YOU like and be able to sort and sift what "everyone" is telling you.

Visit gun shops, gun shows and try borrowed pistols for fit and size. When you find that one special tool that really fits, it will ring a bell for you. Until that time, buy ammo and keep practicing!

Remember, you can not buy anything that will make you a good pistol shooter. It takes time and practice and there is no other way to get there.

Good luck!

Flash

dogbone

If you don't like revolvers don't get one. Forget what other people want you buy and carry, buy and carry what YOU want.

Being thin and wearing snug fitting clothing, you'd probably be more comfortable and be able to more easily conceal a single stack auto.

Maybe try to get some range time with a Ruger LC9, one of the Keltecs or a Kahr? Also the Walther PPS might work? Since you mentioned staying away from heavy recoil, you could stick with these in a 9mm.

If you need to go smaller, with Kahr, Keltec and Ruger (and I'm quite sure, others) take it a step further down the size scale with their .380s

Best best is to get to range that rents and have at it for a day.....You'll find what you prefer. :)

FYI, like most of the other guys/girls in this sub forum, I prefer a revolver for daily carry and pretty much anything else :cool: