I know I'm setting myself up for a world of hurt

culcune

As boring as the shows are, I agree with WayneinFl. It makes for good public relations. Just because Bush is in power now, does not make guns safe in 2008. Look what happened under Clinton during his 8 year reign. The shows are broadcasting a very legitimate reason that one owns a firearm. Its all there on video for the public to see.

Brian D.

Some of the Action Shooting games are interesting to watch, and could no doubt be TV-fied a bit more with colorful moving/frangible targets and such.

But yeah, things like Precision Shooting, seen very briefly during the Olympics, aren't much fun to spectate.

However, here's an idea by some media genius that played out even worse: Some years ago, one network or another got the bright idea of putting PGA Golf on the radio! It didn't last too long...

Monkeyleg

MeekandMild, if you think watching golf on TV is boring, you should try listening to it on the radio.

I'm serious. I got stuck in an area in northern WI where that was the only program I could pull in on my car radio.

Jeeper

I shoot IPSC and I think it is boring to watch also. It is fun as hell to shoot though. Of course Golf and Bowling are worse. The worst of all is any auto racing. I would rather clean the dog crap out of the yard when it is 120 degrees outside than watch NASCAR.

NRAhab

Ah yes, NASCAR. When I was in college, my roommate that loved cars and good car racing, once happened upon a NASCAR race while channel surfing. The following are actual quotes, 100% accurate of what he said, and my opinion of NASCAR as well.

"OH MY GOD!! THEY'RE DRIVING IN A BIG OVAL! HOLY COW HERE COMES A TURN! WHAT WILL THEY DO? WILL THEY TURN LEFT! OHMYGOD THEY DID THEY TURNED LEFT! HOLY COW THAT WAS AWESOME! OH NO HERE COMES ANOTHER TURN! WILL THEY TURN LEFT AGAIN! THEY DID! THEY TURNED LEFT AGAIN!!!"

tjhands

I find myself watching hunting shows every once in a while. Pretty boring, really. Especially when he ends up telling the viewers about the brand of dog food he uses to maintain his dog's energy.
It's effective advertising, though. I bought a bag of it last time I was at the grocery store, and my dog died 4 years ago.

Lycanthrope

I think you have to try shooting those ports to even understand what's really going on (such as how IPSC competetors approach courses of fire). If you don't understand the nuances, there really isn't any difference between watching any shooting/hunting shows. You see a guy with a gun, you see a target, you see him shoot......and then you have only two possible endings.

Of course, if you have done it and have an understanding, it becomes quite a bit more than that and you can see things you hadn't recognized before.