I know I said I wouldn't! 6X45 Build

taylorce1

Will do Bama, when I get a couple more things finished on it. Hope to have it ready for CO pronghorn and OK deer season. Plan is to shoot 100 grain Sierra Game Kings, hoping for around 2600 FPS.

I'm looking at Cerakote or Duracoat for the coatings. I've used both in the past, and I like Cerakote a little more. Duracoat is nice though as it is easier to touch up if needed.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

A gunzine writer once told of arming his wife with a 6x.222.
He said that it killed like a .250 Savage. It did not have as high muzzle velocity but the greater BC of the 6mm bullets meant it hit as hard at antelope ranges.

FrankenMauser

Checker those receiver flats. Give it some funky style! :D

Hey Taylororce1,

Can you post some pics of your cartridge, and advise some of the numbers you are getting / assorted loads?
If you're curious about Taylorce1's data/rifle/loads, in particular, then disregard the following.

But if you're curious about the cartridge in general, I have one load to share.
(I have tested and recorded about a dozen loads, but my reloading room is in the middle of both a basement remodel and relocation of said reloading room. So I couldn't find all of the other 50 to 95 gr data.)

6x45mm
20" polygonal-rifling barrel (AR-15, 'heavy sporter'/'light varmint' type contour)
62 gr Barnes VG
CCI #34 primer
Hornady .223 Remington brass
2.263" COAL
22.0 gr H4198
2,914 fps, 15 feet from the muzzle

Quickload suggests that that load is only running about 49,500 psi, and I did test from 43,100 psi / 2,764 fps (ave) to 55,000 psi / 3,011 fps (ave); but that "light" load gives me "bug hole" repeatability and perfect function of the rifle.
It is, by far, one of my favorite loads for making things explode.

hooligan1

Cant wait to see what bases, rings, and scope he goes with.
The color of the Cerokote, and the color he camos the stock out in......
That accustock has to be less than 2lbs, or close to it...

SHR970

And your problem with the weight was what? Was this a carry rifle that would be shot offhand or was it a "field rifle fired off a rest"?

I ask since I have a Rem 700 that was made to carry all day in mucky conditions and fired once or twice. It is a First Gen ADL AWR 375 RUM that weighs 8.25 lbs with the scope on it. Mine kicks lick a draft horse....your weight problem is my benefit.

I just don't get complaining about a 9 lb rifle in a no kick caliber unless it is meant to be carried all day and fired a few times.

That said, the work looks good minus the black on the flats that should have been removed.

taylorce1

SHR970 said:
And your problem with the weight was what?

I already explained that I don't like heavy rifles in a previous post. A 9lb rifle just isnt what I wanted, and since it doesn't kick why wouldn't i want it in a lightweight rifle? There isn't any black on any of the milled flats that I didn't add to the photos to hide a serial number.

taylorce1

It's off being finished at a Cerakote applicator, and the stock is getting Hydro dipped. I hope to have it back by mid July. Trust me as soon as I get some groups on paper I'll let you know.

Last edited:

FiveInADime

It's off being finished at a Cerakote applicator, and the stock is getting Hydro dipped. I hope to have it back by mid July. Trust me as soon as I get some groups on paper I'll let you know.
You get this back yet? I heavily considered doing a 6x45 or a .223AI. I figured most 6x45 reamers have varmint bullets in mind and I'd be looking for a plinker to hit 800-1000 yards to impress the ladies which I figured a 6x45 case could do with 87-95 grainers. It looked like the .223AI throated/twisted for heavies would work out better.

The 6x45 would share slugs with my .243 but I also have lots of .223 projectiles in stock too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

taylorce1

No, I don't have it back yet but I got an update this week from the smith. I'm hoping it will be soon, there was a hang up on getting my stock Hydro dipped. The pattern I chose he couldn't get without paying a $60 royalty fee, he tried to talk me into a different pattern but I opted to pay the extra $60 and get the one I wanted.

I simply built it over the fast twist .223 because I can use it in Colorado for pronghorn and deer, as the .224 calibers aren't legal. If the .224 calibers were legal in Colorado I'd have stuck with .223 or tried a .22 Nosler. Still thinking of trying the .22 Nosler necked up to 6mm, it would be similar to the 6mm International or 6XC since I have another 6mm barrel blank laying around.

FiveInADime

No, I don't have it back yet but I got an update this week from the smith. I'm hoping it will be soon, there was a hang up on getting my stock Hydro dipped. The pattern I chose he couldn't get without paying a $60 royalty fee, he tried to talk me into a different pattern but I opted to pay the extra $60 and get the one I wanted.

I simply built it over the fast twist .223 because I can use it in Colorado for pronghorn and deer, as the .224 calibers aren't legal. If the .224 calibers were legal in Colorado I'd have stuck with .223 or tried a .22 Nosler. Still thinking of trying the .22 Nosler necked up to 6mm, it would be similar to the 6mm International or 6XC since I have another 6mm barrel blank laying around.
What bullets do you plan to shot from the 6x45?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

taylorce1

55 grain and up, I'm using a 1:7 twist barrel. I'm even going to try some 105+ grain bullets, but will probably have to single load them.