I know I said I wouldn't! 6X45 Build

taylorce1

I've been saying I'd never build another rifle on a Savage action but here I am going down the rabbit hole again.

20170406_151058.jpg

20170406_151053.jpg

20170406_151028.jpg

One problem all the parts are too heavy! The rifle's a 6X45 (6mm-223) what do I need a 9lb rifle for?

20170406_150800.jpg

So I tore it all back down and sent it to Marty at Twisted Barrel to see what magic he can work on the barrel, bolt body, and bolt handle. He said he thought he could get 10 ounces off the barrel. That'll get me to 8 lbs. with VXII 3-9X40 and Talley LWT mounts. I can live with 8 lbs. and it's cheaper than going to McMillan or Manners for a light stock.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

Kinda pretty just like that. Holds the truck up nicely too. snicker.
Doubt you'll notice a 10 ounce difference. Maybe by the end of a day's hunt though.

taylorce1

FrankenMauser said:
Run some 62 gr Varmint Grenades through it when it's back together.
They're magical.

I have 1000 55 grain SHOTS and 70 grian BT from Nosler and 1400 100 grain Sierra GK that I'm going to try and shoot in this rifle.

T. O'Heir said:
Doubt you'll notice a 10 ounce difference. Maybe by the end of a day's hunt though.

Well I know what I like, and I hate rifles that weigh 9+ pounds. Most of my big game rifles are well under 8 pounds when I have a sling and full magazine of ammo in them. When I get to calibers larger than .308 I try to keep the weigh under 8.5 pounds for hunting. Most of my hunting takes place between 4000 feet and timberline, I usually pack in pretty deep to get away from other hunters. That's why I'm picky about the weight of my rifles.

jmr40

The heaviest rifle I own is still under 8 lbs with scope and mounts. Most are 7-7.5 lbs and the Kimber is under 6 lbs. Once you get used to a lighter rifle 10 oz is huge. I can, and have hunted with a 10 lb rifle. But after doing so I choose not to do so. Around 7.5 lbs is about the perfect balance between ease of carry and shootability.

I don't have the elevation they have in Colorado. Mostly between 2000-4000' for me. But steep is steep anywhere. And most public land anywhere is pretty rugged.

eastbank

i have a 6x47 in a rem 40xb and its heavy and would use the rifle a lot more if it was lighter, i have thought of having it slimmed down. but i can,t bring myself to do it. eastbank.

taylorce1

i have a 6x47 in a rem 40xb and its heavy and would use the rifle a lot more if it was lighter, i have thought of having it slimmed down. but i can,t bring myself to do it. eastbank.

I have a 6X47 as well on another Savage, it has a 1:12 twist and doesn't like anything heavier than 70 grain bullets. This rifle would have been a 6X47 as well if X-Caliber had the reamer, I didn't want to pay the extra money for them to purchase a reamer. If it doesn't perform the way I want I may just punch it out to 6mm Creedmoor or .243 Win and switch and purchase a new bolt head.

FrankenMauser

I have 1000 55 grain SHOTS and 70 grian BT from Nosler and 1400 100 grain Sierra GK that I'm going to try and shoot in this rifle.
That should be enjoyable.

I've got 600(?) of the 'SHOT' 55 gr bullets, as well; but mine wear a Midway label (Dogtown). Not sure if I've run any of them, yet.

What twist rate did you go with?
I went with 1:9"; but after dealing with the COAL issues of an AR, and spending some time with the rifle, I wish I had actually gone slower. I shoot primarily 55-62 gr bullets, with the odd 87 gr Hornady SP or 90 gr Partition thrown in.

taylorce1

I wanted a 1:8, but it's a 1:7. X-Caliber didn't make 1:8 twist barrels with 5R rifiling when I ordered it. I got two blanks on special and paid just over $300 shipped for two #3 barrels. It's a lot faster than I need, but I can always clean it up with a bigger 6mm cartridge later if I want.

hooligan1

If you punch that other one to 6mm Creedmoor let me know, I still have plenty of those DTAC 115's.
Also once a year George Gardner post on Facebook that he recieves a huge shipment of 6 Creedmoor brass, and hes not far from me, I could earmark some cases for that cartridge.
Some say its better than 6.5 Creedmoor, I wouldnt know for sure, just say so...

taylorce1

std7mag said:
I didn't know Savage ever barreled a 6x45....
Thought that was a wildcat round...

Savage doesn't make a 6X45, I don't know if it has been standardized yet. However, Cor-Bon and Black Hills both sold ammunition for it. I think though they dropped it sometime in the last 8-9 years because they focused on building .223 and 5.56 when it was in short supply.

I ordered a 6mm barrel from X-Caliber, and I now have a recoil lug coming from PT&G. All the rest of the parts are Savage.

taylorce1

Got the barrel and bolt body back from Twisted Barrel yesterday. 14 days from the day I sent it off. Marty took nearly 11oz off between the two. I have the action out getting worked on, hope to have it back soon as well.

taylorce1

I guess I was a little off, actually a lot off! I can't find my original weights for each piece to know how much weight was removed. However, in the end I lost 9.9 ounces for the sum total of $310 or nearly $32 an ounce. Anyway, I need to com up with a couple of more parts and then off to get it coated.

$160 for the bolt and barrel fluting from Twisted Barrel. Action work was another $150 and done by Stephen Field of Macon GA. I was going for a look similar to that of the Savage light weight hunter with the action.

20170601_100431.jpg

16879.jpeg

16880.jpeg

20170601_100915.jpg

20170601_100934.jpg

20170601_100959.jpg

I'm very happy with how my build is progressing.

bamaranger

cartridge

Hey Taylororce1,

Can you post some pics of your cartridge, and advise some of the numbers you are getting / assorted loads?

Please