I just drew my revolver on a guy

DennisCA

Glad you didn't have to shoot anyone - bad for business!

I had a (drunk) guy came to my house when I lived in NC.
He had mistaken my house for his and was trying to kick in the
door when I wouldn't let him. I opened the door a stuck a .357
New Ruger Backhawk in his face......he sobered up real quick.

Didn't realized he was plastered out of his mind, (and yes he drove
home) he knocked on my house a few days later and apologized.

I accepted his apology but told him needed to repaint my front
door, since he kicked the hell out of it...he did and did a great job!

I live in CA now but hear from him every now and then.

wayneinFL

I refuse to do business with gun stores that have No Loaded Guns signs posted. Isn't it rather odd that Gander Mountain with an average inventory of >5K handguns and long guns in each store does not have a "No Guns" or "No Loaded Guns" sign posted. Never heard of any problem(s) at my local GM when a customer, while talking to a sales person, presents a weapon from his pocket and I have visited the store at least twice weekly since it opened and have seen it done quite often. When does paranoia overcome common sense?
Just my two cents worth.

I've never heard of a gun counter at a Gander Mountain getting robbed, there are an awful lot of witnesses between the back of the store and the front door. Pawn shops get robbed all the time.

I have been to mom and pop shops with "No loaded guns" or "all guns must be cased" signs. Whenever I've asked they said I can carry and that the sign's just there for the idiots who just whip out loaded guns with no explanation.

PH/CIB

I worked in a big box store in the gun department and most folks brought in handguns or longarms cased, although we always cleared the weapons as we bought used guns and had gunsmiths working there too.

However I had scores of times someone would ask me about a firearm or a holster or ammo or accessories and whip out their loaded concealed carry firearm with their firearm already out there was no way I could have beat them to the draw altho they were in close enough to me if they showed intent I could have hit or grappled with them. Working in a small store would have been a lot more dicey and even tho I saw some incredibly stupid and thoughtless things done by gun owners most of the gun owners were safety minded and acted accordingly.

What scared me more than guns was our knife department with combat knives with long blades and even swords, I have handed such hardware to some incredibly rough looking people while standing close enough to be cut to ribbons in short order.

youngunz4life

1st quote microgunner // 2nd quote chuckusaret

1st quote microgunner:

The vast majority, but not all, customers bring their firearms into the shop encased and unloaded.

2nd quote chucksaret:

Never heard of any problem(s) at my local GM when a customer, while talking to a sales person, presents a weapon from his pocket and I have visited the store at least twice weekly since it opened and have seen it done quite often. When does paranoia overcome common sense?
Just my two cents worth.

I don't see any issues with presenting a firearm, but you need to verbally communicate it Before and/or OK it first. I have no problems doing this after reading this thread still.

MLeake

I'd have sworn that the signs at GM, Cabela's, etc are on the lines of "Any guns brought in for service or trade must be unloaded and cased."

IE, no bans on concealed carry, but if you want to be able to show the gun, it needs to be unloaded and visually safe.

That makes perfect sense to me.

I have seen people pull out their loaded guns to try holsters, for instance. Generally bad form in two ways, IMO.

They should ask the sales guy before drawing a loaded weapon, period. And, they should probably ask before testing holsters (and possibly marking the holsters or packaging.)

Rude, clueless and armed is no way to go through life.

m&p45acp10+1

The LGS I frequent has several signs leading to the building, and one in large print on the front door. Though I am sure there are some people that have thier head, and mind somewhere in a place in the back below the belt line.

Though I like the sign.

The Safety Of Our Staff, and Customers Comes First

We support the Constitution of the United States of America. We believe in your right to lawful concealed carry. If you are carrying concealed please make sure it stays that way. If for some reason you need assistance in finding accessories, holsters, ect., and need to remove the weapon. Notify the staff and we will assist you after the said weapon has been cleared, in the clearing area.

All guns brought in for repair, trade, consignment, or appraisal shall be unloaded, and checked by the counter staff upon your bringing them into the store.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
The problem with that sign is that the same people who will draw a gun unannounced are the same people who will see...

"The safety of our blah, blah..." quit reading.

The message of the sign is great and it's COMPLETELY lost on the only people who need it.

I once stood less than 3 feet behind 2 standard sized red/white CLOSED signs positioned at eye level on the counter at the bank I worked at inside of a Walmart. My head was literally bracketed by the signs. A woman walked up to the counter, looked me right in the eyes and said "Are you open?"
I died a little, that day, and I've known ever since that signs are worthless.

m&p45acp10+1

Pizza man I am with you on that. As I said in the post some people have their heads, and minds buried in the nether region. Then again some people are just oblivious to everything in the world. Common sense stopped being common a long, long, long time ago.

wayneinFL

I once stood less than 3 feet behind 2 standard sized red/white CLOSED signs positioned at eye level on the counter at the bank I worked at inside of a Walmart. My head was literally bracketed by the signs. A woman walked up to the counter, looked me right in the eyes and said "Are you open?"

I've asked before. Half the time the numb nut behind the counter forgot to change the sign. happened yesterday at a checkout lane. Two lanes, one lane with the light on and no one home, the other manned but no light.

Come to think of it, one of the times I had a gun pulled on me was walking into a gun shop. The clerk pulled his gun to a low ready behind cover, and yelled, "What are you doing in here?!"

"Uhh... Just browsing..."
"We're not open yet!"
"The light's are on, and the door's open, and-"
"That doesn't mean we're open!"
"-and the great big 'OPEN' sign on the front door is a little misleading."
"It says 'CLOSED'"
"Yeah, on this side- the other side says 'OPEN'"
"Oh... We'll be open in about 15 minutes. You can come back then."
"Yeah.... I'll be back..." :rolleyes:

And no, I didn't come back.

Last edited:
That's a well-known fact. If folks don't read signs like "Emergency Parking Only," "Lane Ends in 10 Feet-Merge Right," or "Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball," what makes me think they'll read a sign banning loaded firearms?

Heck, there are some gun owners who deliberately flaunt those signs. They've made me despise the phrase "concealed means concealed."

lylemsharp

CCW and showing a carried weapon...

I frequently find myself in positions with friends and family who know I am CCW and carrying and want to see what I am carrying. Most days, it is a semi-auto handgun with a firing pin safety and one is in the chamber. Showing it means drawing, dropping the magazine, opening the breach, locking it open, and catching the formerly chambered round before handing the freshly unloaded weapon over for inspection all while pointing in a safe direction. Once show and tell is over I have to insert the magazine, chamber a round, engage the safety, drop the magazine, reload the extra round, reinsert the magazine, while pointing in a safe direction and re-holster my weapon. This is a painfully safe process that I am growing tired of. Would it be rude to tell people I know that I'd rather not empty my weapon and hand it to them? I'm not afraid they'll take my weapon and shoot me with it or anything and I don't feel naked without it, I just don't hand loaded weapons to anyone because that was how I was trained and I am tired of properly preparing it for others to look at. Any thoughts?

youngunz4life

I never really understood those merge notices over and over again. there is no need to merge...it happens gradually

then you get the instance when you need a sign...your on the highway and with no notice the cones just make you run out of room dangerously

youngunz4life

to the other post:

I have handed cops my loaded firearm when I have informed them of carrying....I understood what you were saying and agree; I still always verbally tell the person(usually teice: "Its loaded".) I think that is subconscience; I'm not really expecting the person to point and pull the trigger but you never know...

TheNocturnus

I frequently find myself in positions with friends and family who know I am CCW and carrying and want to see what I am carrying. Most days, it is a semi-auto handgun with a firing pin safety and one is in the chamber. Showing it means drawing, dropping the magazine, opening the breach, locking it open, and catching the formerly chambered round before handing the freshly unloaded weapon over for inspection all while pointing in a safe direction. Once show and tell is over I have to insert the magazine, chamber a round, engage the safety, drop the magazine, reload the extra round, reinsert the magazine, while pointing in a safe direction and re-holster my weapon. This is a painfully safe process that I am growing tired of. Would it be rude to tell people I know that I'd rather not empty my weapon and hand it to them? I'm not afraid they'll take my weapon and shoot me with it or anything and I don't feel naked without it, I just don't hand loaded weapons to anyone because that was how I was trained and I am tired of properly preparing it for others to look at. Any thoughts?

They don't need to see it or hold it. My step brother asks to see my gun sometimes and I just tell him he doesn't need to see it again. If you feel you have to let them see it, never hand anyone a loaded weapon.

In fact, never hand anyone a weapon, set it down and let them pick it up. I was taught that by my SCARS instructor.

357autoloader

Thoughts? Yes.

Why do all these people need to know that you are carrying? And if they do know they need to understand that it's not a game. It is on you to explain that to them.

Learn to say NO. Your gun is not for show and tell. It should not be open for discussion.

The fact that you asked this question and go thru the actions you describe (even while showing safe gun handling) to display your weapon upon request tells me that you probably aren't ready to EDC.

EDC is a huge responsibility and requires maturity of thought and action.

wayneinFL

Why do all these people need to know that you are carrying?

For what it's worth, I do try to let very few people know that I carry. It;s the smart thing to do for several reasons.

However, I probably wouldn't be carrying if it weren't for the fact that several people shared with me that they carry. I just didn't think it was socially acceptable, until I realized half the guys I worked with were carrying.

357autoloader

Glad it worked out for you Wayne, that is the way it is supposed to work.
Hopefullly, it will work out the same for this guy.

A select few know I EDC, none of them ever ask to see it. I like it that way.
I don't give a seconds thought to whether anything I do is socially acceptable. I'm a freedom outlaw. :D

Akrover

I stopped by the Gunsmith to talk to him about sights and some other work for my Delta Elite. As usual I was carrying in condition 1 and had planned to drop the pistol off Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately the gunsmith was leaving town the next day so I had to drop the pistol off then or wait 6 weeks until I got home from work. Before I pulled the pistol I told him that I had the pistol and was going to pull it out. As soon as I pulled the pistol I ejected the magazine and cleared the round from the chamber before handing it to him. Everything worked about great and nobody got unnecessarily excited.

I've had dealings with both state troopers and federal game wardens and I've never had to be told to put down my weapon. I was out shooting my shotgun one night trying out my under barrel light and the trooper pulled up to make sure I wasn't spotlighting moose. As soon as I realized it was a trooper I placed the shotgun on the hood of my truck and walked over to talk to him. The trooper didn't even get out of his truck. With the game warden I was taking aim on a decoy bird when I heard him yelling from the woods across the road. As soon as he came out of the woods and I recognized who he was I went and put my rifle back in the truck before I talked to him. He checked my hunting license and sent me on my way.

StlGuy

Surprised

Im always preaching caution and avoidance, but Im really sure I would have done the same thing..I'd much rather defend those actions and words, than having it explained to my kids that I had a gun, but chose not to use it..

Can't Cure Stupid, but they also carry......Good work on a proper response

Pointshoot

I would never try to second guess another man. Events happen quickly and we make those kind of judgments in seconds based on everything triggering our senses. I don't know what the neighborhood is like or its recent history. I don't know the 'vibe' the man gave off. We are reading the account of one man, after the event. If a shooting had occured, its likely that a jury would have to take hours and be presented with a lot of evidence before anything could be determined.

Glad to hear it all worked out.