I Have the Worst Luck Buying New Guns

Model12Win

I know what you mean, brother.

Sometimes it can seem like it doesn't go as planned. Have faith, have hope. Contact the manufacturer and bitch a whole, whole lot. This will help you greatly. :)

Guv

Dragline,
That Beretta battering is quite common and stops after the initial "bumps/damage" show themselves. 1 out of the 3 Beretta's I own has these bumps and it has not changed since I first noticed it. They may have been there from the first test firings from the factory.:confused:
And maybe your Beretta had other issues, the damage did look identical to mine though.
I will say that in this day of CNC machining there sure seems to be a lot of problems out there with new guns. Maybe we are just more aware of them due to the internet.?

diggler1833

OP: This is exactly why I "almost" completely stopped buying new firearms. The only exception are guns that I plan on using for tools and beat up a bit.

In my opinion: I think that there has been a bit of analysis lately in the manufacturing industry, and the results are that it is cheaper to fix the problem after the consumer finds it, than add a more robust QC process. Unfortunate as it is.

dgludwig

Better inspection at the store won't tell you if it shoots low, if it jams, if it'll fail to cock half the time, if the chambers are oversized, frame mis machined, firing pin block dragging on firing pin, etc.

Absolutely. Time to stop faulting the buyer and start blaming the maker. Yes, it's prudent to give any firearm a look over before committing to a purchase; time well spent in terms of avoiding future hassles, but, ultimately, the people who make the guns are the ones responsible for making them wrong. And it's time to stop giving them a pass for poor workmanship.

my question is similar to others. Who did you buy these from? I can't imagine getting so many lemons time after time. I truely hope that your bad karma changes and soon.

Dragline45

my question is similar to others. Who did you buy these from? I can't imagine getting so many lemons time after time. I truely hope that your bad karma changes and soon.

I've bought 20+ guns from these guys, just the past couple years I have been getting alot of lemons. It has nothing to do with the shop, when you buy a gun from them, the gun that you are checking out at the counter isn't the gun they sell you, they go in the back and grab a brand new gun. The gun industry has turned into letting their customers be their quality control, like I said before this is why I'm willing to pay a premium for companies like BCM who pride themselves on their quality control. Id gladly pay extra for all my guns if it meant that it went through a strict quality control process.

stagpanther

Don't feel bad--over the years about 50% of "new" fully assembled firearms I buy have something wrong with them. Most of the time I can either fix it myself or send it back and play the round-robbin game.

LGS's can be hit or miss--and in some cases they will push to get old stock out first. I usually ask for one in stock in an unopened box--and sometimes am told the demo one (scratched and worn somewhat) is the only one they have. More than once I've gone back the next day and a new replacement has miraculously appeared in the display case.

Last edited:

Model12Win

You must understand that most guns today are made to a price point. They are being churned out in biblical quantities to satisfy the near insatiable capitalistic consumer hunger in this country.

What I like to do is look to the past and to other ways of thinking. For example, the Makarov PM is a beautifully made and virtually trouble free pistol but it is inexpensive. This is due to it's communist heritage that put a premium not only on quantity, but on quality as well. Instead of producing a greedy nation with poor goods for sale, the Soviets prided themselves on good equipment and durable goods.

Guv

Like a Lada or Zil? We had a Zil V8 engine that leaked oil through the porous casting of the cylinder block!