I Have the Worst Luck Buying New Guns

Dragline45

Like the title says I have the worst luck buying new guns. Just bought a new 686+ today and the hammer is hitting the frame and gouging it, enough where it displaced metal on the right side of the inner frame. So off the S&W it is going this week.

The Sig 226 I bought a few months back was covered in scratches from the factory, the worst was whoever installed the takedown lever drug it across the frame while installing it so there was a big semi circle scratch. I know my fault for not seeing it in the store, but it was so heavily coated in oil all the scratches were masked. Sig ended up replacing it no questions asked since it was so scratched up.

Few months before that I had a Ruger LCR 327 that the cylinder was scraping the frame when opening and closing, Ruger could not repair it and couldn't replace it since they had no 327's so I got a Vauquero instead.

Then there was my M&P Shield which had a huge divot in the feed ramp, went back to S&W, and they sent it back with a new barrel.

Then there was my Beretta M9A1, it was out of spec and the frame was getting battered, Beretta had to replace it with a new one.

These were all in the past 5 years, seems I cant even buy a new gun today without having to send it back to the factory for one that is right. These are the reasons I pay a premium from companies like BCM who pride themselves on quality control. Seems the gun business has turned into letting the customer be their quality control.

joe sixgun

Bad run of luck. Were they all purchased from the same dealer? Maybe he just saves the bad ones for you? LOL.... Seriously though at least they were all taken care of for you by their factories. I wish you better luck in the future.

Targa

Wow...you do have some bad luck!! Sounds like the issues were ultimately taken care of but geez...like Joe said, I hope your luck changes and you are able to have a uneventful purchase next time.

Boncrayon

Most unfortunate that you would not enjoy the firearms mentioned right out of the box! The companies are good on their word and warranty though. That's why I buy mostly from local so that I can view it and work the action before purchase. Hope your luck changes for your future selections!

g.willikers

We'll have to rename you Joe Btfspik.
You know, the guy in the Lil Abner comics that was permanently jinxed.
We must balance out, 'cause I've only had two bad ones ever.
And even those still shot ok, mostly.

pete2

I've had bad luck with new guns too. The last 5 new S&W revolvers all had something wrong with them, new Ruger CMD replaced on warranty and the replacement had to go back on warranty, Browning XD Skeet, Beretta 92 FS, Kimber 1911, Citadel 1911, Taurus, Henry. Some went back on warranty some I repaired myself. One I couldn't get repaired even after offering to pay for the repair. I estimate about a 50/50 chance of a firearm being as it should be when I buy one. We are fortunate that the mfgs will take care of the issues on warranty. Most (not all) of the guns would at least function, a few would function part time.

Sad state of affairs.

Dragline45

While it is great that the manufacturers made it right, out of the last 7 guns I have bought 5 had to go back right away. It kinda sucks to buy a new gun then have to wait up to two months to shoot or even handle it.

SpareMag

Sounds like it is time to get into CommBlocs. They have all the same issues, but these are then not flaws, just normal in-spec manufacturing.

hemiram

I had a string of bad new guns starting with the first gun I ever bought, a Taurus 83. Next new one was a great one, a Browning BDA 380, then came my awful Colt Combat Commander, and FTL Auto Nine, a couple of PPK clones, a real German made PPK, which wasn't much better than the clones at 3X the price, and finally, two AMT duds, a Back-Up, and a Hardballer Longslide. The Back-Up had the worst trigger ever, and the Hardballer had galling issues and only would shoot reasonably well when it was dripping with oil. I had much better luck with used guns, which all were fine, with the only problems being really easy to fix, like a Dan Wesson 15-2 that had a clipped off mainspring that caused it to misfire a lot, or a Beretta 92 that had a broken magazine follower.

Road_Clam

I feel your pain o/p. Back in late Nov. I bought a new Vector Arms full size Uzi carbine. Had to wait 3 weeks for shipment. When it finally arrived the rear apatuer flip sight was clearly bent and assembled out of position. I payed $1100 for this Uzi and im pissed that my Uzi left Vectors shop in this condition. To further add insult to injury i tried shooting the pistol and i got about 15 stovepipe jams out of 50 rounds fired. After numerous complaint emails exchanged I Sent it back to Vector on 12/22 and have heard nothing from Vector.

Don P

Like the title says I have the worst luck buying new guns.
All manufactures have QC issues from time to time. Seems you need to accept it, that just because its new does not mean perfect or without issue.A better inspection process at the store is in order.

old bear

Dragline45,

Boy you do have the worst luck, remind me never to buy a used gun from you;)

It's sad that quality control, often, across the board had dropped to such a low level. With two exceptions I have not bought a new firearm in years and I hope to keep it that way.

g.willikers

This:
A better inspection process at the store is in order.
Treat every one you buy with suspicion, new or used.
The same goes for lots of other things.
Remember - "Trust No-one."
Well, not completely. :)

Dragline45

A better inspection process at the store is in order.

No doubt, I take partial blame in some of the cases. But with the Beretta and my most recent S&W revolver the problem didn't show up until the Beretta was fired, or until some dry firing with the S&W was done. In the case of the Sig it was covered in a coat of oil at the shop, it wasn't until I cleaned all the oil off at home did the scratches show.

pete2

Better inspection at the store won't tell you if it shoots low, if it jams, if it'll fail to cock half the time, if the chambers are oversized, frame mis machined, firing pin block dragging on firing pin, etc.

Lohman446

When I buy something from a specialized retailer I expect said retailer to be a subject matter expert and to have done some degree of inspection on the product before or during the sale. If that fails I expect said retailer to step up and work directly with the manufacturer to handle it.

Most brick and mortar gun stores only manage to stay in business because federal laws prevent me from buying directly online. The stores that step up and provide customer service that would survive outside of this legally created niche should be able to just clean up.

tallball

...and some people are equally lucky.

I have purchased something like ten perfectly good new or used handguns since the last time I got one that had a problem.

Some people are struck by meteors or lightning, some win the lottery.

It's luck of the draw. Ya pays your ante and ya takes your chances.