I guess I'm feeling nostalgic........

9ballbilly

Let's take a minute and everyone give a shout out to their favorite obsolete cartridge.

I'll start the ball rolling------ .303 savage

Who's next?

Sevens

Oh heck, I'm only posting because I got in early. I don't have a single favorite obsolete cartridge. But I am a big Smith & Wesson fan... though I don't own a Model 53, I will give a shout-out to the .22 Jet!

Skans

440 CorBon. I don't know if its actually obsolete. I just know I always wanted the 440 barrel for my DE and never could find one.:(

osbornk

There is obsolete and there is obsolete. I inherited a gun from my cousin and the ammo has not been produced since 1947. How many have seen a 41 caliber rim fire gun? I donated the rifle to our local historical museum.

Info: Serial number 215811 indicates it was made in 1888. It is a 41 caliber rim fire rifle. It was briefly the standard infantry rifle of a strong and peaceful nation, obsoleted shortly after it was made, and possibly never issued before being sold as surplus long ago. It was later probably purchased by a farmer or hunter of modest means whose heirs lost the cleaning rod.

The Vetterly and its predecessors
On 8 January 1869, Switzerland became the first nation to adopt a repeating rifle. This rifle was chambered for the 10,4 x 38R rimfire cartridge.
This cartridge was not a new design, it had earlier been used for the Milbank-Amsler trap door rifle. The Swiss had converted their obsolete percussion rifles to the Milbank-Amsler breech loading system. The decision for the small bore 10.4 x 38R Milbank-Amsler modification was taken 24 April 1867 and the decision for the big bores was taken 29 April 1867.

The design of the tubular magazine
Friedrich Vetterli used the tubular magazine and repeating system of the the Winchester Model 1866. used their Winchester lever action rifles with great success against in the Russians in 1877.

A bolt action breech loading mechanism
To overcome the drawbacks of the Winchester, Friedrich Vetterli combined the repeating mechanism with a strong bolt action. Vetterli was not the inventor of the bolt action. The German Dreyse rifle was the first military rifle, used at a large scale, with a bolt action breech loading mechanism.

Skans

I'm going to nominate another obsolete cartridge: .32 Extra Short.

I wouldn't mind giving one of those Chicago Palm Pistols some range time.

Bart Noir

I was looking at a Milbank-Amsler trap door rifle in my favorite gun shop, just last week. That is Pinto's in downtown Renton, Washington.

Milbank was an American and he had some sort of patent relating to the trapdoor design, according to a book produced by the owner of the rifle. But it sure resembles the Allin conversion that was adopted as the Springfield .58 rimfire, then .50-70 then .45-70 rifles used by the US Army.

So I really do wonder if Erskine Allin used the Milbank patent (with permission, or course!) or Milbank patented an improvement to the Allin design. I'll have to do some research on this.

Bart Noir

Bart Noir

And to relate to the title of the thread, I'll mention the .303 British. If you have a Lee-Enfield, you need surplus ammo in this caliber.

Or if you have a Pattern 14 Enfield made by Remington for the British. This rifle was the one changed to .30-06 to make the M1917 which was used by most of our troops in WW1.

Bart Noir

skizzums

.22TCM is not obsolete, but can someone please make a desirable small pistol or at least a viable conversion please. I want something the size of a shield or even a medium glock in tthis interesting cartridge. Cmon Taurus, this seems up your alley.

72-cj5

.348 Winchester:rolleyes:
Is this what your talking about?
45983835b5ab985c5216c61b5a88722a.jpg
d247c05d94e02cad9b6341e80e20831c.jpg