I finally bought an H&K!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, bring it in, bring it in
GroupHug.gif

you guys are hysterical.

IMO HK, Sig, and Walther all make quality guns. I'd trust my life to any of their current generation centerfire guns (except maybe the sig p250).

Fishbed77

They're really not, I've owned both. The angles of the two grips are slightly different, as is the hump at the bottom of the P99 grip. The P30 grip is more vertical. I also prefer the P99 grip.

Didn't say they were identical. I said they were dang close.

They feel almost the same in my hand, aside from the texturing. I like the little indentation of the P99 grip right where the tips of the strong-hand fingers rest.

No one can deny that H&K was strongly influenced by the P99 ergonomics (as was every other company that has adopted interchangable backstgraps for their polymer service pistols, a Walther first). It's also interesting to note that the P30 slide also somewhat mimics the sloped sides of the P99 slide, which supposedly aids peripheral view/situational awareness when

TunnelRat

No one can deny that H&K was strongly influenced by the P99 ergonomics (as was every other company that has adopted interchangable backstgraps for their polymer service pistols, a Walther first).

Not denying that at all. Walther is a very innovative company, you'll not get any argument from me about that.

It's also interesting to note that the P30 slide also somewhat mimics the sloped sides of the P99 slide, which supposedly aids peripheral view/situational awareness when

Which were also present on the P2000 a decade ago. Many of the design characteristics of the P30 are a direct translation from the P2000. The simple fact is most people know a heck of a lot less about the P2000 than the P30, even though the P2000 has been arguably more successful than the P30 in terms of contracts. Was the P2000 influenced by the P99? No doubt. But a lot of these design traits have been in use by HK for a long time too, so give them some credit. Acting like the P30 was the first time HK had an ergonomic and styled pistol is just factually wrong.

I get that you like Walthers, I do too. But this thread is about a guy celebrating that he got an HK. Can we maybe talk about HKs instead of arguing if designs were borrowed and how you think the P99 is a better pistol? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CDR_Glock

Congratulations.

Can you believe after over 20 years of shooting, I never had an H&K? It had to do with affordability. Last week I paid for a Mark 23 and the H&K USP. I have owned Glocks, Sigs, Smith and Wessons, Springfield, Colt, and Beretta.

ragwd

TheGunGuy, nice buy, congrats. I bet you will have that H&K for years. But why does all H&K threads morph into a H&K vs SIG vs Walther. I dont see that happening to sig threads or Walther threads. I own a usp45c, sig229, walther p99. Like my kids I love them all the same.

But why does all H&K threads morph into a H&K vs SIG vs Walther. I dont see that happening to sig threads or Walther threads.

All gun threads turn into gun threads, this is a gun forum. You won't know good if you didn't know evil, would you? You need to know about what you don't like to know what you like.

This is a gun forum in general. Not an Hk forum, or any other single manufacturer forum.

usp45c, sig229, walther p99

I love those three :D

TunnelRat

All gun threads turn into gun threads, this is a gun forum. You won't know good if you didn't know evil, would you? You need to know about what you don't like to know what you like.

This is a gun forum in general. Not an Hk forum, or any other single manufacturer forum.

No doubt. But when someone buys a new gun and posts it on this forum I don't go on that thread and post how I like gun X better. To me it's somewhat rude. But I know others think differently.

No doubt. But when someone buys a new gun and posts it on this forum I don't go on that thread and post how I like gun X better. To me it's somewhat rude. But I know others think differently.

No no, I agree with that. There's actually a thread that's pretty recent where I chewed someone out for just that.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498525&page=2

Post #34 and me on #35

I didn't say anything sucks. Just what my personal preference is. So did some others. No bashing. Happens to me, happens to everyone. Everyone has their own preference. Everyone posts it. On this GUN forum.

What I said to that person in that post, was because they bashed.

Even if I did misunderstand. I never really bash anyone personally.

We have admins...Don't worry lol

People's $0.02 will always be around on this public forum. So far this has been 100% civil and not directed badly.

There wouldn't be much to talk about here if everyone agreed on everything all the time and didn't give their opinion.

Typo correction: $0.02 ---- I mean $0.01 after Obama's taxes. Oops..

Fishbed77

But this thread is about a guy celebrating that he got an HK. Can we maybe talk about HKs instead of arguing if designs were borrowed and how you think the P99 is a better pistol?

Huh?

I never said the P99 was a better pistol than the H&K P2000 (or any other H&K model).

I merely responded to Constantine's question about which H&K model (he specifically asked which model #) was similar in ergonomics to his PPQ, and I explained why.

That the P99 influenced the P2000 and (especially) the P30 is impossible to deny. It predates both designs and was the first polymer service pistol design to feature interchangeable backstraps and a serious attention to human ergonomics (with Walther going as far as hiring Cesar Morini to design the grip). Any subsequent pistol design that uses such features owes a debt to Walther for bringing such features to the market.

Likewise, Walther owes a debt to H&K for bringing the first polymer framed pistol to market (the VP70) and to Glock for popularizing the idea.

I mentioned several times that I think both the Walther & H&K pistols are fantastic products, just that I slightly preferred the ergomics of the P99.

That's no slight against H&K - that's an opinion, and we are all entitled to have those. That's why these discussion boards exist - so we can discuss. The comments were entirely relavent to the discussion, especially since the question came up.

On a side note, I have been hankering to pick up an H&K USP in .40S&W lately, a decidedly "un-ergonomic" choice compared to the later H&K offerings, so ergonomics are clearly not the only consideration that goes into my opinion of what makes a great pistol.

TunnelRat

I didn't say anything sucks. Just what my personal preference is. So did some others. No bashing. Happens to me, happens to everyone. Everyone has their own preference. Everyone posts it. On this GUN forum.

I was referring to you. Look I fixed it!

BTW, you have your own opinion as to what is good form on this GUN forum just like I have my own opinion as to what is good form on this GUN forum. Yay opinions. :D

Likewise, Walther owes a debt to H&K for bringing the first polymer framed pistol to market (the VP70) and to Glock for popularizing the idea.

And Walther also owes HK for borrowing the idea for their mag release, which was certainly influenced by HK, though improved in the process. Many companies do that. Borrow ideas and then improve upon them.

So I assume by your above comments that you go onto posts about Glock to remind them what they owe to HK in regards to a polymer frame?:rolleyes: Come on now, it's fanboyism at its best.

Last edited:
Fishbed77, I don't know why they're being so sensitive. Holy (insert anything) it's a GUN forum! Not a fisher-price price forum.

lol anyways....back to our guns...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.