I Don't Know Anything About Kimbers, But...

Joe_Pike

I was in my LGS today and they had a used Royal II for $1,500. That seems like a ton of money for a used 1911 to me. Is there something special about this gun that warrants that kind of price? I will say it was a really nice looking gun, but I picked up a 1974 Colt Series 70 1911 with gorgeous bluing not that long ago for $679.

Like I said, I don't know much about Kimber since I've never owned one, but for another $500 I could get a new Les Baer Monolith and feel like I have a much better deal for the money. Of course, I could be wrong.

dajowi

I've got a Kimber Ultra Eclipise II. It has a 3" barrel and it is stainless. It is a very good gun and the most accurate .45 that I've ever owned. But...I'd pass on this used firearm. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I don't want to buy someone elses problem.

laytonj1

For less than $1800 new I bought this Les Baer Premier II.
No MIM in it...

Jim
DSCN1931.jpg

Last edited:

kennethlee

I bought my Wilson Professional used for $2100. It's the best shooting pistol I own. Every time I shoot it I'm glad I own it.

KyJim

According to Kimber's site, the MSRP is $1975. http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/custom-ii/royal-ii

Now, I've paid more than that for 1911s. I've also paid less than that for 1911s that I think are way better guns. I don't think I'm dissing Kimber when I say there is no Kimber worth $2K. I personally wouldn't give the $1,500 the LGS is asking. You have to wonder why such a steep discount.

michael t

Thats a lot of money for MIM parts and a needs 500 round break in. Buy a Colt or Dan Wession Either way better than Kimber.

Venom1956

Kimbers are a joke. No offense they are decent pistols but the quality isn't even close to other guns in that price bracket. But that's the power of marketing I'll give it to them I've seen many people who believe that Kimbers are the end all be all of handguns.

I will be honest the Charcol finish on the Royal II is quite pretty... Then again Kimber has to send the pistols else where for that finish to be applied. Apparently its to much craftsmanship for them to handle... :p (JUST A JOKE!)

DasGuy

For a couple hundred more you could get a new Les Baer.

Yeah, horrible price. Reminds me of a local store that has a Colt 1991 NRM in stainless for $1,500.

LarryFlew

I REALLY like my Custom Kimber (4 inch barrel on a custom short mag frame-not built like the steep ramp commander frames) that I paid nearly that amount for BUT I knew the guy I bought it from. Not sure if I would pay that for the gun you looked at without knowing the person or background of the gun.

Shoot45's

I think for 1500 I'd go out and get a new Dan Wesson Guardian (no MIM) instead of a used Kimber....thank you very much!

I think Kimber makes great guns especially all of their upper line series, including the one you're talking about, but I do think they are over prized.
You can certainly get more for your money if you just shop around.

Mystro

I love the Kimber Custom Shop guns. I had IPSC Limited race guns built for more than twice what a Kimber cost and were not any more accurate. In my experience, all the Kimbers I have shot were tack drivers. Fit and finish were excelent and I have owned a lot of custom 1911s. My personal Grand Raptor 2 Kimber out shoots just about all boutique 1911 customs I shot against in my IDPA shoots. I can't tell you how many boutique brand 1911s had failure to feed after only 3 stages and about 60 shots. The guys shooting even mid grade Kimbers had no issues. I bought my GR2 with the idea of if I had to tweak it at my gunsmith for IDPA I would. Turns out I haven't had to touch the gun for accuracy or reliability. Anyone that says the Kimber Custom guns have poor fit and finish are blowing smoke or have a hidden agenda.

IPSCRaptor.jpg

Strafer Gott

No complaints with my Kimber, but I didn't pay but half as much. My LGS
sells Kimbers all day for pretty reasonable. That keeps the FTF prices even lower. Local custom has much to do with what used guns bring.

Mrgunsngear

http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/2012/01/kimber-ultra-carry-ii-review.html

That was my foray into Kimber ownership. Some people have accused me of being a fanboy for certain brands---Springer, S&W, Glock, and FNH for example. I love all of those brands and except for FN, I've had a problem with at lease one of their products. The difference between those brands and Kimber is that the makers above stand by their products and fix them should there be an issue.

Let's face it---guns are expensive; 1911s especially. For the kind $ we shell out for these guns they should work, period. If they don't the companies should fix them. Seems simple to me :confused:

RickB

My personal Grand Raptor 2 Kimber out shoots just about all boutique 1911 customs I shot against in my IDPA shoots. I can't tell you how many boutique brand 1911s had failure to feed after only 3 stages and about 60 shots. The guys shooting even mid grade Kimbers had no issues. I bought my GR2 with the idea of if I had to tweak it at my gunsmith for IDPA

Not using the holster in the picture, I hope?

KyJim

Anyone that says the Kimber Custom guns have poor fit and finish are blowing smoke or have a hidden agenda.
I don't think anybody has. You do hear about their guns not being reliable and parts breaking. They sure are pretty, though.

Mystro

"Not using the holster in the picture, I hope?"

That's from my IPSC days. That holster is a rock. I have done years of IPSC tactical stages and my gun never came loose. It's lightning fast and a great rig.
RaptorIpsc2net.jpg

Last edited:

coolbreezy

I wouldn't personally buy another kimber again. Nothing personal against kimber, I think they make a great gun. Mine is beat up and fairly old stainless II that has 4k down the tube with not one problem yet. I'm just not into brand loyalty and like owning different makes.

5RWill

For 1530$ you could get a dan wesson valor which is IMHO in a different league than kimber. No MIM, high quality parts, completely made in the US, Bevelled magwell, front & back strap checkering, match barrel, duty treat finish, 416 SS, except the slide stop which is 410 SS, etc. The list goes on.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...46/Dan+Wesson+Valor+45acp+Ceramic+Duty+Finish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOJjljxcDDw

DW employee talking about the valor and the other lines of 1911s.

Spending 1500$ you shouldn't have to worry or second guess about the product you buy is my point.

Last edited:

Mrgunsngear

I agree that DWs are in a different class than the Kimber you're looking at. I'd also throw the TRP in the mix as well. I love my TRP; I have nothing but good things to say about it---fit and finish, accuracy, 100% reliability, ect...
IMAG0783.jpg

dayman

The whole MIM argument is just hype in my opinion. MIM parts can be made poorly, or can be made quite well - just like forged parts. Parts failures have been around a lot longer than metal injection molding. But I digress.

To answer the OP's question, that seems like a lot to pay for a used gun - personally I wouldn't do it. But if that's exactly the gun you want it's certainly cheaper than buying new.

I guess the question is: would you rather have that gun or $1500?