I bought a chiappa rhino. Got a few questions about it and my impression about it.

ausher

Ya. I want to know if any more issues pop up before sending it in. I dont want send it in for a cosmetic issue and get it back and something else goes wrong and have to send it in again. I'll send it in before the warranty expires. I don't know what they would do to fix the stripped screw hole. I'd hate for them to drill it out and put a bigger screw in. All it needed is a longer one. I'm going to measure the thickness of the cover and the depth of channel it sits in. Its probably only a couple thousands difference.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Screw problem aside, that revolver appears to be out of time. The cylinder stop (i don't know what Chiappa calls it) is dragging on the cylinder notch because the hand is trying to move the cylinder before the cylinder stop clears the notch. (That might have been the cause of the locking up problem.)

Then the stop is dropping too soon, way before the leade, leaving a dimple and a drag mark. That is not necessarily bad (drag marks on S&W's are normal), but it goes with the other timing problem and may eventually cause a problem.

Jim

ausher

I don't think it's out of time. It shoots great. I check the forcing come pretty much every time I shoot it and it doesn't appear the bullets are hitting the sides of it. I just shot another 6 rounds a little while ago and didn't see anything that looks like a problem. From other rhino pics I've seen. Other rhinos have the lines on the cyliner notch from the stop.

Whenever the cylinder hangs up, you can see all the rounds are pushed out against the breech. I just pop open the cylinder and push the rounds back in. I haven't had any problems out of it after shooting about another 100 rounds after oiling the ejector.

My buddy ordered a 2 inch rhino I'm going to look at and compare and see if his side cover is same or flush. I hope he doesn't have any issues out of his because he won't send it in for repair and would rather sell it than deal with mailing it.

Pic of The forcing cone after shooting it a little while ago.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a213/ausher/guns/0307161744_zpsqqvuu2hq.jpg

Last edited:

Kvon2

I am all kinds of jealous. I want one very badly but don't want to pay for one. Don't let people hate on them, they are awesome guns.

I hope it holds up!

GunsNLoaded

The Rhino is a excellent revolver. Many innovative ideas. People that hate have not had trigger-time on the range with the gun. Go to the Chiappa website and also look at the history of the gun. It's pretty neat!

CCCLVII

The Rhino is a excellent revolver. Many innovative ideas. People that hate have not had trigger-time on the range with the gun. Go to the Chiappa website and also look at the history of the gun. It's pretty neat!

while I think they are cool i would not buy one. I have shot one of the older 2 inch models and the trigger was some where between super heavy and impossible to pull heavy. At the time I Was carrying a J-Frame and the trigger was much better on the j-frame. I have since upgraded to a model S&W 327 8 shot 357 which has an awesome trigger.

spEKTre

I had a few shots out of a 6 inch silver rhino, my initial thoughts were..double action is pretty much useless for accuracy, didn't like the fact even when single actioned the hammer goes back down and covers half the back sight, the rotation of the hexagonal shaped cylinder doesn't appear to be smooth like the Smiths and the grip is way too small and its a badly balanced revolver.

It shoots ok single action and I fired a couple of 357 magnum loads through it and they felt about the same as a 38 special loaded up to 120 pf. But in all the trigger is so bad I wouldn't bother with one that hasn't had a factory trigger job done.

Andy Blozinski

I have a nickel plated 40DS. Trigger pull is pretty good. They made one of their lighter triggers the factory standard a few years ago. I sent it in and they lightened it a little more. They paid my freight both ways. It's been getting a little lighter with me dry firing it. It works great cocking the hammer back for an extra light trigger shot now.
One thing you'll want to do is swap out your rear sight. Buy the rear sight from the 6" model. It has the high visibility fibre optic rods and it's lower profile for better concealed carry draw.

ausher

Shot off another 50 rounds without any problems. My buddy got his rhino. I checked his out and his side cover doesn't fit flush with the frame either. He only shot about 24 rounds without any problems. His trigger is heavier than mine, but his is still new. My trigger felt smoother and lighter than his. I got about 250 rounds through mine.