I bought a chiappa rhino. Got a few questions about it and my impression about it.

ausher

So I bought a rhino 40ds. Look wise I think it's a cool looking revolver. The 4" barrel makes it look stout. I loaded it with 158 gr jhp .357 magnum rounds. First 6 rounds out of it went fairly smooth, little tough to cock tho. Next 6 rounds on the second shot it felt like it locked up. Couldn't cock it for single action and or shoot it double action. The cylinder wouldn't turn. I managed to get the cylinder open and emptied the cylinder and it operated fine unloaded. I think a fired round got pushed back against the breech. Loaded 6 fresh rounds in it and it worked perfectly though all 50 rounds I had. More I shot it, the better the trigger got and easier to cock. Recoil is hardly noticable and no muzzle flip at all. Comapred to my 9mm or .45 acp semi autos it's a more controllable gun to shoot. The trigger isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Double action is a lil heavy tho. I pretty much been shooting it 1 handed because it's so easy to do so. Very accurate too.

A couple issues I found after I shot it is the side plate that covers the guts of the revolver doesn't sit flush with the frame. I cannot recall if it was like that before I shot it or not. Anyone else who owns a rhino can you tell me if your cover sits flush or not? I took the grip off to add a little blue loctite to the bolt and I checked to see if any of those little torx head screws were loose and I noticed one was stripped out. The screw behind the cocking lever above the beaver tail of the grip. I know I didn't apply too much pressure tightening it. There was no resistance at all when I was tightening it. Like it was stripped when it was assembled. Not sure how I will fix that. Thinking loctite thread fix kit. I could send it back, but don't want to wait to get it back. I want to shoot it more to see if any more problems pop up.

Anyways, here it is...

0212161651_zpsvflcwjp8.jpg

Pic of The side plate
0215161848_zpsrvzet123.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainO

Sorry...

if it's new (read: under warranty) send it back. If you don't, you'll be sorry down the road (having to pay for repairs whe you shouldn't). If I am buying a handgun, I am paying for a fully functioning product.

You'll find it worth the wait.

g.willikers

The fit of the side late isn't perfect, but it looks ok.
Usually when there's a problem the plate will have a bulge somewhere on the surface.
The stripped screw is a concern, though.
So as to not cause grief with the warranty in case it's needed, you could just try a new screw.
Usually the threads in the frame are the culprit, but it can't hurt to try a new screw.
If that doesn't work, you could also try a thread chaser tap on the frame.
Chances are that's what the factory will do.
But there's the risk of negating the warranty with doing that.

Last year when I was new to the Forum, I was inquiring about this gun. The feedback that I got was similar to what you said and more. Went with the GP100
and glad I did.
Good luck on it though. Really hope it works out.

Ozzieman

Do nothing with the gun. Contact Chiappa and let them make the decision. If the gun shows tool marks or glue or a different screw than the original manufacture you could kill your warranty.
Chiappa has a good record since they started making guns.
Contact them before you do anything.

lee n. field

There was no resistance at all when I was tightening it. Like it was stripped when it was assembled. Not sure how I will fix that. Thinking loctite thread fix kit.

No. Send it back. Send. It. Back.

Chiappa need to fix this.

CaptainO

I know I said this earlier...

not just no, but HELL no! If Chiappa wants to remain in business they need to build decent quality firearms for the price.

You paid for the revolver and they fouled it up. They need to "pay the piper"!

They'll get over it, you should be required to do so.

Lee6113

I eventually want to get one, just to have it. I agree with Sequins- it looks like a space cowboy gun, lol. But I'm not paying their retail price for it especially if there are so many issues with it our the box. Hope it works out!

Lee

ausher

Despite the problem of the screw. I like the gun it shoots great. I got an email back and they said warranty would still be covered unless I screw it up by fixing it, but even if I screw up fixing the screw everything else will still be covered under warranty. I'm going to shoot about 200 rounds through it and see if any other problems pop up before sending it in. I got a year so I would like to see if anything else goes wrong. I'm a machinist by trade, I can fix anything wrong with it after warranty expires. Like the cover plate not fitting flush and I could machine any internal parts if it Was to fail.

Here's a vid of me shooting it. Very controllable even 1 handed and holding a camera.
https://youtu.be/dOZCZMHN1OI

Ozzieman

Why are you waiting? Send it back now. You will still have months to go with your warranty. Shoot the 200 rounds but get it back as soon as you can.

1stmar

Personally I like innovative ideas and this qualifies. Wonder how objectionable it would be if it said s&w on the side and or jmb. Be aware of a forward thumb, muzzle blast from the lower barrel can cause serous pain if you have large hands and get your thumb near the front of the cylinder.

ausher

Well got the screw out. Replaced it with a longer one. The ones in it are kind of short and the threaded hole in the frame are plenty deep enough for longer screws. I'll probably replace all of them with longer screws. Side cover now fits a little better, but still not flush. I cleaned and oiled the ejector star and rod and haven't had any problems with the cylinder sticking. Seems like call is good now.

@1stmar I got but by it a couple times already. Defiantly got to watch where your thumb is on your support hand. Feels like a quick pinch on the tip of my thumb.

Last edited:

khegglie

So Sir..... why did you not send it BACK?
You say the side plate is still not flush.
Wouldn't it be better to be reviewed while under warranty:confused:

Radny97

Really nice video. Shows the lack of recoil really well even with full house loads. My range has one under the rental counter and I have shot it a few times and I was favorably impressed. However, i am concerned about quality control and durability. I'm not a machinist like you so I would be pretty shy about buying a gun I'm not sure will last and that I won't be able to fix myself. Especially when it only has a one year warranty. Plus they are kind of pricey. I will probably still get one eventually just because I like all types of DA revolvers but it might be a while.

Sequins

Khegglie, I believe it's so new that the plan is to shoot the heck out of it until nearly the end of warranty. That way he can get any other problems that occur within the year fixed at the same time and under warranty.