I am in the market for a new 9mm

geetarman

Have you looked at Sig P320C or P938? They are good guns and reliable.

You might also consider Dan Wesson PM9, Smith and Wesson Pro series or Springfield M1911A1. The Springer has been discontinued but you may still be able to find them.

I have all these guns and it is a chore to decide which ones to take to the range. I usually take the 1911 style to the range and ccw the 938 or the 320.

The 1911 style are an absolute joy to shoot as is the 320.

The 938 is not a lot of fun to shoot with 147 gr. defense loads but ok with 115 gr. range ammo.

buckhorn_cortez

The 938 is not a lot of fun to shoot with 147 gr. defense loads but ok with 115 gr. range ammo.

Depends upon the grips on the gun and whether you're using the 6 round magazine or 7 round magazine.

If you put Hogue rubber grips on the gun and use the 7 round magazine recoil is not much of an issue regardless of bullet weight.

In a slightly larger 1911-style, 9mm pistol, the Springfield EMP has less felt recoil.

If one is considering small 9mm pistols, then you should also look at the Glock G43, Kimber Solo, and the Kahr CM9 and PM9 pistols.

I have HK P30, HK VP9, SIG P229, SIG P938, Glock G43, Springfield EMP, and Springfield XDm.

If I wanted a 9mm that was smaller than a Glock G19 but larger than sub-compact 9mm's - I'd look at the FNS Compact. Has a 3.6-inch barrel and comes with two 12-round magazines and one 17-round magazine.

Last edited:

Pianoguy

Between a BG380 and an Beretta M9 - could list at least 25 that are solid choices. You've shot DAO or DA/SA hammer-fired guns but list striker-fired pistols as possible choices - so what trigger-type do you prefer? You mentioned carrying the pistol so I assume that's a priority. Everybody has already listed a good sample of the choices. Unfortunately the category of pistols you're looking at has too many good options. It will come down to what feels best to you since it's a very subjective decision. A Glock 19 is certainly a solid pistol if it feels right to you ahould work just fine. The Glock grip isn't for everyone, though. I personally feel a Shield is a little on the small side and prefer something with a little more heft and a few more rounds - but that's me. If you like your Beretta, check out a Px4 compact. Same manual of operation but easy to CC. If you are okay with the BG 380 trigger, a Sig-Sauer P250 compact of sub-compact is a nice reliable and lower-cost pistol.

JWT

A bit pricey, but the Dan Wesson ECO and Guardian are both very, very nice 9mms. Own both of them and they are great shooters.

rpseraph

For a small/mid size CCW with great capacity, I love my XDM Compact in 9mm. It is double stack, for 13+1 capacity with the flush magazine. It is very easy to carry IWB for me (6'4" 250lbs.) I just got my CCW at the end of last summer, so we'll see how it prints in the summer months.

Everyone I know is able to shoot the XDM series very well, it would be worth a borrow to try it out.

pilpens

you have pocket carry and full size covered.
So. from your list, I pick the G26.
The G19 is nice multipurpose size but I find the G19 size is still big for comfortable CC.
Also, with a G26, you can come close to the G19 size with mag extensions.

Brando1992

Now I am wondering if the money would be better spent on another AR? Long term I might wish I would have bought another MP15 Sport or Ruger AR for the same amount of money or close to it.

You wouldn't be going wrong with a handgun or AR at this point. But if your anything like me and your already asking about the pistol, if you get the AR you will just be prolonging getting the mid sized pistol.

I prefer the Ruger AR over the S&W sport but they just released a sport 2 not to long ago that looks good. I would also look into Palmetto state armory, they have some great prices on quality AR parts/kits.

Also I bought my Glock 19 in case anything were to happen and I could just have 1 gun. (not apocalypse prepper or governmental collapse, but if my family were to go broke and i had to start selling stuff...) The G19 is one of the only guns i've seen that covers everything without sacrifice. get it and you will not be dissapointed.

JBigs

CZ p07. About the same size (it is thinner though) as the glock 19. Multiple carry options (comes with both a decocker and a safety you can switch between). Feels better to me, the g19 pushes my middle finger into the trigger guard pretty bad..can't really get over that myself.

osbornk

Smith and Wesson SD9VE....S&W's copy of the Glock 19, but can use M&P sights and holsters. And it can be had for $350 or less new. I'm liking mine....

I have one an I like it a lot. I paid $289.99 new on sale. Lifetime warranty. I put a M&P sight on mine.

Spats McGee

Administrator
"Compact 9mm" is a field is loaded with good pistols. They are (IMHO) Goldilocks pistols. Not too big, not too small, but juuuuust right. Mine's a G19, but there are CZs, Ruger SR9c, S&W M&P9c, XD/XDm, Sigs . . . Finding a good pistol won't be a problem. Finding the one that's right for you might be.

perrytrails

I have one an I like it a lot. I paid $289.99 new on sale. Lifetime warranty. I put a M&P sight on mine.

I shot a S&W SD9VE last weekend. I think it's a great value and shooter.

I'm a big fan of the glock 19, this gun is very similar in size, accuracy, and feel.
If I were looking I'd try to get one of these in my hand.

herdman

Mad the decision, sort of:.

Went in to buy the Shield and bought it. Also, walked away with a Glock 19. Cost me some more $$, but I would have end up doing it anway.

:D:D

Owner of a new Shield and Glock 19.

best of both worlds

twister

I shoot the xd mod2. If I were looking for a ccw today, I would purchase a mod 2 again. It shoots very nice. It's easy to be accurate. Easy to conceal. Has a double stack magazine. Get a free range bag with two extra magazines and a mag pouch.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
My son and i are100% pleased with our Ruger LC9's.500 rds.each,zero issues,plus accurate too! :D

ZeroTX

Why look for a sleeper? Years ago I decided to stop bothering with the underdog. Go with what everybody says is the best and what is the most popular and you won't go wrong. The S&W 9mm Shield has a great reputation for good reason. It's reliable, thin (easy to conceal), and is actually a pleasure to shoot! I don't mean like just practicing enough to get good with it, but it's flat out fun to shoot. It's smooth, no pop in the hand, good trigger. The only downside is the 8rd magazines, but we resolved that by having 5 of them.

Tomac

SIG P320 Compact, especially w/the APEX flat trigger. I now have 3 that rotate between EDC, training/backup and nightstand duty.
Tomac

P-35HP

Jericho PSL, Mid-Size Polymer

First introduced in the US in 1990, the Jericho 941 has enjoyed wide acceptance by American shooters over the last 25 years. Based on the highly regarded CZ-75 short recoil system, Jericho pistols combine proven design and function with IWI's exceptionally high standards for reliable performance, accuracy and quality construction.

The Jericho features a frame mounted safety enabling "condition one" cocked and locked carry and single action function or hammer down double action function. Additional features include an integral Picatinny rail for mounting accessories, adjustable dovetailed sights, a firing pin block and a loaded chamber indicator. Barrels are cold hammer forged of the finest Mil-Spec CrMoV steel.

Attachments

• Jericho-PSL.jpg
    Jericho-PSL.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 9