I am in the market for a new 9mm

herdman

I have a Bodyguard 380 I carry and that covers the pocket pistol.

Then, I have two full size 9mm, Beretta M9 and Ruger P89 that are full size. The old Ruger is the night stand and home protection gun. I like the M9 for the range and I really like it.

That being said, I need something in between. I think 9mm is the best choice for caliber.

I have shot Glock 42, Glock 43, Glock 26, and HK VP9, The VP9 is sweet but a little big for something I can carry(my opinion).

I am really leaning towards a Shield though. Same controls as the bodyguard and people really like them. I saw Larry Vickers review and he prefers it over the G43.

That being said, I am drawn towards a G19 as an all purpose gun that people swear by and I have a soft spot for the Ruger SR9c for some reason. I always like the looks of it and it seems to be a good value.

I can't make up my mind. Any other sleepers out there or recommendations?

ms6852

Springfield has the XD9 in a subcompact with a 3" barrel or the compact in the 4" barrel. I like my walther ppq, great gun and trigger out of the box. I would also consider the newer models.

Cheapshooter

In that"mid-sized" CCW roll for some pockets, but more often IWB carry I have a Kahr CM9. I am very pleased with it in accuracy, reliability, and convealability.
But the Shield is also a good choice as well as a Springfield Armory XD-S 9.

vulcan73

The sleeper you are looking for is the TriStar C100. It's a Turkish made clone of the CZ-75 Compact with alloy frame, 15+1 capacity and 3.9" barrel. I have this gun in both 9mm and 380 Auto. My next purchase will the C100 in 40 S&W. Out the door price was under $400 for each gun. I also have and like the S&W M&P 9 Shield and Ruger SR9E for carrying but the C100 is my EDC. The Shield is carried in those situations where size matters and the SR9E when capacity matters, gotta love 17+1. The two Shield's provided magazines can be modified by Magguts to add an extra round making the 7 into 8+1 and the 8 into 9+1. The Pearce finger extension adds the final touch to the Shield.

Go here to see discussions on the various CZ clones:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=27.0

Go here for discussions on the S&W Shields"

http://mp-pistol.com/mp-shield-pistols/

Last edited:
One of the only guns that I don't mind that are as small as the ones you've mentioned, is the Smith and Wesson Shield in 9mm. I think that is an amazing pistol. And I don't like anything smaller than a Glock 19 / SIG P229.

JDBerg

I'd look at an HK subcompact "SK" P30 or P2000 and I strongly recommend the LEM trigger variant for either one of these.

Last edited:
I'd look at an HK subcompact "SK" P30 or P2000 and I strongly recommend the LEM trigger variant for either one of these.

I forgot about those. Good call.

I will add, if you get the P2000... Get yourself some Talon Rubber Grips. :p

tallball

I was also going to suggest one of the compact sized CZ's or CZ clones. They are available in steel or polymer.

sigarms228

The Shield is a great pistol. I tried one but personally liked the Walther PPS better and was able to shoot it better. Might be worth checking out for you.

New Walther PPS M2 will be available any day now. Looks to be priced in the low $400 range.

http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/pps/pps-m2/

The original PPS is also available for under $400. I recently bought mine for $383 though it has the paddle magazine release.

Nothing wrong with the Glock 19 either you are considering. Try shooting one to see how you like it. A fairly easy gun to conceal for most people with the right holster and belt. I find I can shoot my Glock 19 very well regardless of the "2X4" grip.

Last edited:

ScaryWoody

I carry my Glock 19 the most. I do have a Kahr CM9 which is much smaller and I carry that during the summer or when clothing is restrictive. The CM9 does take some "breaking in" and has a loooong trigger pull.

Worc

For a compact "Sleeper", I would recommend to look at the Steyr M9-A1. It's a very underrated gun and has one of the best striker triggers on the market. They also have the C9-A1 which has the full length grip but, shorter barrel. I like having full length grips. https://steyrarms.com/firearms/pistols.html

There are a bunch of very good compact sized guns available today that you have not already mentioned.

DA/SA: Beretta PX-4, CZ P-01, CZ P-07, FN FNX, Sig 2022.

DAO: Sig 250, Walther PPX.

Striker: FN FNS, Sig 320 C, Walther PPQ's.

Striker DA/SA: Walther P-99AS

Spendy DA/SA: HK P-30, HK P2000, HK USP-C, Sig 229, Sig M11-A1, Sphink SDP.

vyse.04

Of what you listed, I would go with the Glock 19. I've fired a Shield, but didn't care for it compared to my Glocks. But if you like the M&P line, that works too.

For the additional recommendations, I would second (or third) the smaller HK's since you already have a few DA/SA guns... Which I'm guessing you like. I bought a P2000sk and it was a nice gun, but I ended up getting a USP Compact that I prefer for HD use. I didn't like the stock base plates on the P2000sk, but it was easy enough to swap the flat ones. In hindsight I should have just gone with a few X Grip adapters, but I like the option to carry condition 1 with the USP line. For CC I go with a Sig P239, and it is one of the easiest single stacks (about as wide as double stacks) I've shot.

I read that HK would be releasing a VP9 Compact that is supposed to be similar in size to the P30sk. If you prefer DA/SA to striker though I would check out the P2000sk or P30sk. From what I've seen, the P30sk has been much cheaper than typical HK's, and it feels like a scaled down VP9 (or more accurately a P30).

seeker_two

Smith and Wesson SD9VE....S&W's copy of the Glock 19, but can use M&P sights and holsters. And it can be had for $350 or less new. I'm liking mine....

Brando1992

I put guns into 4 categories: pocket, single stack, double stack compact, full size.

I feel there is a purpose for each and you have 2 of them already covered!

So next you should decide if you want a single stack or a double stack. If I were in your shoes since you have pocket covered I would jump to double stack.

If you decide on a single stack I personally believe the shield to be the best option on the market. Sure the g43 is an incredible pistol, for the value I think the shield wins.

For the double stack category I am a huge fan of the sr9c, I owned one and loved it, but ultimately I sold it and bought a glock 19. My reason for going with the glock was for magazine compatability for my g34. The sr9c is a great shooter though and extremely reliable. Next i would say the glock 19 or 26 both incredible guns, either you love them hate them or own them and respect their intended purpose - shoot every time you pull the trigger.

other options to consider would be the m&p9c, i've heard time and time again how amazing of a gun it is. Also its nice to keep it in the family if you plan to end up with a shield and a bodyguard. or the SD9VE is also a great gun. It shoots great and can be had for $300.

Any of those guns will serve you well! Let us know what you end up with and how you like it! :)

BigJimP

Depends on what fits your hands the best...but for me, I'd suggest looking at the Sig 239 model / or a 1911 in 9mm ..... Wilson combat, Kimber and others are making a number of 1911's in 9mm ( 3.6" - 4" barrels ) that are nice guns.

More and more, I'm carrying a full sized 1911 in 9mm ( 10 + 1 mag )...

A good belt / and a good IWB holster ...its really no difference to me to carry a full sized 1911 with a 5" barrel ...or an alloy frame 1911 in a 4" barrrel...( same holster ).

DaleA

Just because it might be sad because it hasn't been included I'll toss the Ruger LC9s Pro out there for your consideration

herdman

Now I am wondering if the money would be better spent on another AR? Long term I might wish I would have bought another MP15 Sport or Ruger AR for the same amount of money or close to it.

StrutStopper

I was also going to suggest one of the compact sized CZ's or CZ clones. They are available in steel or polymer.
Or alloy. The CZ 75D PCR is a lighter weight alloy version of the compact, the P-01 is the same but with a rail.

I have the Shield and I don't think, personally, you can go wrong with it because of it's size. The one thing I really like about it is the fact that you have a pocket-carry ready pistol that you can get your hand on and it still feels solid. I won't go any smaller than the Shield.

I also had the Glock 23 with the 9 mm conversion barrel so it was basically the 19. I loved that gun. The Glock 19 is as advertised.

The big question is, you're looking for something "in-between". Smith and Wesson makes a compact series and so does FNH.

This is going to be as typical of a response as anyone but I would try to shoot as many of what you're interested in as possible before buying one.