I am buying a 1911 and want feedback Please

BigJimP

Around $1,000 - I think Springfield will give you the most gun for the money.

I have some Kimbers - but I wouldn't recommend them ...even out of their custom shop at close to $2,000 / they just ship too many guns with a lot of trigger issues - and its too bad.

I've fired some of the new Sigs - and they were pretty good guns.

The higher end of the market on 1911's - is around $2,500 - $3,000 where you'll find Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer ...with Wilson Combat at the top of my list.

greyson97

The "idiot scratch" is something that is easily avoidable. If you are unfamiliar with the 1911 disassembly, have someone (that's not an idiot) teach you.

make sure you have them teach you with THEIR guns. Murphy is a bastard like that

Wildalaska

Around $1,000 - I think Springfield will give you the most gun for the money.

I'm going to try to dispell this bit of net wisdom right now.

Colt now makes three "bells and whistles" (ie beavertail, tac safety, etc): models: The Rail Gun, the Special Combat Govt and the Combat Elite. The Rail gun and the Combat Elite can be had for less than 1K. The special combat is about $1250.

All three of those guns are Colts. They are made in America with forged slides and frames using American steel. They have one piece barrels made in America. All the rest of the parts are forged or cast, with exception of the sear and disconmnector which are MIMed'

The equivalent SA is as or more expensive, is loaded with MIM and has IIRC 2 piece barrels made in Korea

WildandthatsthestoryAlaska ™

epr105

Wow thank you all for the replies I have lots to think about. Just to answer a few of the posts. I normally buy used and have never had any trouble. I have 14 Handguns and only 3 were purchased new. This is a gun that I have been saving for and I don't want to be disappointed with junk. Thanks for the info and the offer Wildalaska. I think that I will go with a Springfield or a Colt I am going to go to some dealers in the area and see what they have or can get and the price. I will take me about 3 weeks to get the new gun when I find it (I live in a communist state NY). When I do I will post some Pictures.

Hunter Customs I really like the look of the front strap treatment it looks great!

greyson97 I will look into the idiot mark never even heard of it until now.

gwnorth

My stainless Colt Combat Commander 1991a1 was somewhere around $800.00, brand new in the box. A brand new stainless SA mil-spec was in the same store for not quite $100 less, so the price difference for a basic Colt model is not as great as some people make it out to be. Unless you just have to have a Gold Cup or an XSE or something, but then you are not looking at a basic, entry level 1911 anymore anyway.

The main problem with Colts is just finding them, since they aren't churned out in the same numbers as other makes are.

greyson97

i guess its cause texas is so awesome, theres like 4 different types of Colts on display at my local academy. and they are all under 1k.

Academy = the walmart of sporting goods.

junho806

For an entry level low budget 1911 rock island is fine
owned one myself it was great
but if you can afford it i'd dish out another 100 and just get a springfield
it has a better fit and quality

Mr. James

greyson97 said:
i found out about it when there was actually a name associated for the scratch i put on my gun.

Ain't that a beach? That's how I learned about that, too!

Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson - all fine guns. If I were only buying one, I'd buy the Colt - just because - although the Dan Wesson is a seductive little tart.

TimNelson

I had heard about the idiot scratch but being the idiot I am didn't look up what it was until after I added one to my first 1911.

Les Maynard

I have three Kimbers Ultra CDP II,Pro Carry II, Eclipse Custom II all are 45acp and all have been excellent from the first round. The only problem is I want more a 9mm and maybe a 10mm.:cool:

doc540

DSCN0487-1.jpg

DSCN1023-1.jpg

DSCN0263-1.jpg

all Colts

Hunter Customs

epr105,
Thanks for the kind words about the front strap treatment. Using it really shows how well it works.

As for the debate about Colt or Springfield I certainly owe no allegiance to either one, I've built custom guns using both for a base gun.

I can't speak for everywhere, but around here a basic Colt sells for $300.00 more then a basic Springfield.

A point was brought up about the two piece barrel in the Springfield. I believe the GI model may be the only model using the two piece barrel now. I see no issue with the two piece barrel, I've never seen one come apart.

Now I have seen issues with hammers that lean to the right because the pin holes are machined at an angle, however I've never seen this in Springfield guns.

I have seen issues with the lines between the flats and rounds on the slide being so crooked that cuttng a french border will not even clean them up, again I've never seen this on Springfield guns.

I have seen issues with breeching problems that are so bad that after firing about 5000 rounds the gun will need a new slide and barrel, there again I've never seen this on Springfield guns.

There's a lot of other issue I could tell you about but I don't have the time to type them now.

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com