I am an American

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I didn't think I was going to be around today. Unfortunately, Chinese visa problems has temporarily delayed my vacation to China, Vietnam and Thailand. Soooooooo, 9 years ago this day, I became a United States citizen. An accomplishment I am extremely proud of :)

I dug this old speech from my records. I just thought I'd share my sentiments with y'all.

I am an American

I sit in solemn silence, wondering if I should even bother with this essay. I am not the ideal Vietnamese child; I am nothing special. Since I was born, English was never my primary language. However, English is now the language I think in, the only language I can express my true emotions. I am a naturalized Vietnamese child, proud of my heritage, yet forever attempting to grasp it. I merely know this: my morals and values, instilled in me by Vietnamese tradition make me who I am today. That is why I write, not because I have to, but to express my pride in my Vietnamese roots. I am Vietnamese. Sometimes, it is hard for me to believe. My grasp of the language is childish at best, and at times, I feel inadequate.

It is something that I am ashamed of, yet something I hope to rectify in the future. But I know I am Vietnamese. The ability to overcome hardship, to face fear and succeed is in my blood. As our people have always found light in every bad situation, I was raised to do the same. My ability to speak and write may not be up to par with other Vietnamese children but my heart and spirit will forever be 100% Vietnamese. My parents are the best. They have never ceased to amaze me. I grew up in Oakland, California, alongside hundreds of other Vietnamese families.

My parents worked long hours at their jobs to try to provide for my siblings and me. My mother was a seamstress, working 80-hour weeks. My father was a textile factory worker, logging 90-hour weeks. I never knew my parents. As a child, I was mad because they were never around for my siblings or me.

As the years moved by, I began to realize what my parents did for the family. Whenever I looked upon my father's eyes, I would weep terribly inside. He was among the top students in his class. All the teachers believed he would go on to do wonderful things. Greatness was his future. Now his body is shattered. His mind an endless fog of exhaustion. His hands rough as lava rock. His facial features appear that of a man 55 years old, not 35. Yet, when I cried, I also see a loving father. I see a man who sacrificed his entire life for his children. The sacrifices my mother and father made for their children are of untold heroics. When I cried, I see two people I love so dearly.

Between my sister and I, we did the cleaning, some cooking, laundry and all the little chores around the house. On top of that, we cared for my baby brother. At such a young age, I learned what responsibility meant. I learned what an adult life was like.

Life was tough for me as child. I was an ESL student (English as a second language). I had to take remedial math courses as well. Word problems were too difficult for me to comprehend. Nevertheless, I persevered. In time, I became a better and more capable student. By the time I got into high school, I started to realize my potential. I knew that I could graduate at the top of my class and get into a great college. However, my family’s financial situation was very shaky. I never told my parents about my academic accomplishments. Instead, I lead them to believe I was just an average student. A vow of silence was created between my sister, brother and I.

Yeah, I worked. Ever since I was 15, I worked until nine o'clock on school days and full time during the summer. I tried my best to balance it with extra curricular activities, debate, schoolwork and volunteering. I worked 30 hours a week to help my parents make ends meet. Somehow, I managed to squeeze sleep in the equation. Occasionally, I would wake in the morning to learn I fell asleep upon my schoolbooks.

The day I received the acceptance letter from an Ivy League school, the University of Pennsylvania, I told my parents. I told them about the grades I received in the school. I told them about my 4.0 GPA. I told them I was speaking as valedictorian at graduation. For the first time in my life, my parents told me they were so proud of me. They looked at me and told me that I was worth their sacrifices. I cried.

I stand before you today, not as a fellow student, not as your valedictorian, not as a Vietnamese survivor. I stand before you today as an American. If not for the sacrifices of soldiers before me, I would be somewhere else in the world. I would not be free in the United States of America. But of my accomplishments, of the hardships I have overcome, of my values and morals that I hold dear, I stand proud. My appearance state that I am Vietnamese. In my heart, if no where else, I am American.

ArmySon

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Instead of going directly to college after graduation, I went into the military instead. After the military, I finished my college degree in addition to getting an education on our Second Amendment rights ;)

citizen

Ya did good, Son. :D

We all have heritage; no American is without it.

It's the realization of Freedom that bonds us.

Hal

Son,
A very heatfelt congratulations on your anniversary. Best to you on what is a very special day, and thank you for sharing this.

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
So impressive. Moving. Your family's struggles shame me for the whining I have done and my lack of achievement. The advantages I've wasted.....

However, if my children ever think of me with one-tenth the regard you have for your parents, I will consider myself honorable and successful.

RWK

Son,

Thanks for sharing this important day -- and wonderful thoughts -- with us.

I was born in the US, but all four of my grandparents were German immigrants. Having spent my adult life serving this county, I believe that no one should receive "automatic" US citizenship (even if born here). I favor some type of "junior citizenship" category for the native born; service and citizenship testing would be required to achieve "full citizenship". In this way, all citizens would be required to demonstrate some basic citizenship knowledge -- and I would add a public service requirement for all. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, I believe, said the United States was the easiest club in the world to join with the highest dues. We need to educate our population to their "dues paying" responsibilities. We do this poorly, particularly for the native born.

Congratulations and regards -- Roy

Ed Brunner

ArmySon; You continue to fascinate me as you reveal yet another layer of your character and your history. Continue to honor your parents and your heritage as they have provided the foundation that you have built upon, but also take pride in what you have accomplished with their gifts.

Yes, you are an American in the finest sense and I salute your accomplishments.

Phil Ca

That is a very impressive and moving story. I remember how proud my wife was when she was sworn in as a citizen. My mother-in-law became a citizen much later and she fretted about the questions that she might be asked. She would ask me to drill her on the citizenship book she was reading. When the day came she was asked only one question and she could finally relax.

Now my son-in-law is studying and prepping on his English, even though he speaks very well. His concern is that since he sometimes thinks in a couple of other languages he might not get something right in English. I have the same problem since I sometimes think in German, even if English is my first language.

Have a good trip and tell us all about it upon your return.

Congratulations once again!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
ArmySon, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Lots of meat there for lots of folks to chew on.

All: Ain't it nice to hear from a grownup? Ain't it amazin' how that ol' "Presbyterian Work Ethic" seems so prevalent among folks from the Asian Rim? Might be time for a ne-namin'?

:), Art

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Thank you everybody for your kind words. Many fellow immigrants and I willingly accept the burdens of representing our country when we take upon a new life in the United States. On the other hand, there are also immigrants who choose not to pay the US back for their freedom. As the group who refuses to fall into the “immigrant stereotype”, we must work harder in order to educate the rest of society that not all immigrants come to this land and live off welfare.

The same can be applied to gun owners of this country. We ARE the minority among the sheep. We must refuse to flow with the label society has wrongfully placed upon us. By being politically active, vocal, and upstanding citizens, we can prove the gun grabbers wrong. This hopefully changes the perception of all gun owners. Never be satisfied with the hand you are dealt. Never.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
"Many happy returns of the day - - -"

ArmySon---

I add my thanks for your sharing this inspiring story with us. I wish there was some way to require the native-born whiners amongst us to read what you wrote.

I agree with RWK's sentiments about "automatic" citizenship. When I first read Robert A. Heinlein's novel, Starship Troopers, I felt the same way, and continue to feel that way down the years. Only those who have gone through some "earning process" should be entitled to full rights of citizenship, most especially including the right to vote.

Happy birthday, ArmySon--both ways. We are proud to have you for a neighbor and a fellow American.

Johnny

MOLON LABE!

mrsMTN

Beautiful essay! Your parents were remarkable, but I hope that you have a good grasp of what you, yourself, have done.

kjm

It just struck me on how amazingly similar all the stories are from immigrants to this country. I presume Son that your folks were fleeing the communist government of Viet-Nam? My Grandparents came over here to flee the constant warfare of the European nobles. My Great grand-father lost two sons in some insignificant battle, and decided it was time to pack up the kids and family and move to Texas. When they arrived, they had one chest full of all the family's belongings that they carried on their backs 70 miles to where they settled. His son ended up going back to Europe in WWII, so I'm not so sure that he was successful except in that his son survived. I still hold immigrants in awe for the hardships that they endure to become Americans.

Growing up in Houston, I went to school with hundreds of Vietnamese kids of the mass exodus, and I also attended with the kids of the South and Central American immigrants (the 80's were a good time to get out of central America!). I noticed that the parents worked like slaves to make it, insisting that their kids do well in school and contribute. The parents of all these kids knew that they wouldn't be rich here. They did it so that their kids would grow up free and prosperous, and they sacrificed their health and all their worldly possessions to do it.

What amazing people. I only wish that those who bitch about immigrants would look to see what sacrifices are made to get here, and how much they contribute to the United States.

BTW- The tumbler is working great! Thanks

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Last night, a group of Russian immigrants were remembering how they got here. I told them ArmySon's story in brief, just to put their troubles into perspective.

ArmySon, glad you are here. Fresh blood is good for America.

Mike in VA

Thanks, Son, for a poignant reminder -

We are a nation of immigrants, but it always srikes me that the ones who do well bring a great strength of character and determination, and on one hand it is comforting to me that these are characteristics are present in all societies, but also sad that some must come here (due to circumstances beyond their control) in order to exercise them fully and reach their potnetial. But then again, their strength is a boon to the American 'melting pot', keeping our society vibrant and strong. You speech is an eloquent reminder, thanks for sharing, congratualtions on your anniversary, and best wishes for another 99 years. M2