I "adopted" this homeless rifle :)

Doyle

doesn't NORMA sell alotta stuff in the US?

They are a very small player in the ammo market. I can't recall the last time I saw Norma ammo on an actual vendor's shelves. The on-line dealers I shop as well don't seem to carry it (or at least carry it in the caliber's I've been looking at).

reynolds357

Norma is readily available in the USA. My gun shop trys to keep it in stock, but it flies off the shelves. Most people are figuring out it is worth every high priced penny they charge for it.

Blindstitch

I see it from time to time. Maybe go to more specialty shops where Remington, Federal and Winchester aren't the major players.

I have 4 boxes of 6.5 Arisaka and when you blindly grab and empty brass you can feel the quality. Just wish it didn't cost so much for loaded or just brass.

Kosh75287

I think S&B also load 8x57 Mauser loaded to full-power levels, though I couldn't begin to guess about their brass. Probably okay, probably not in the NORMA class.

I have a scoped Vz-24 for which I'm developing loads. I'm being quite careful to not exceed recommended maximum loads, but everything I've shot with it (mostly boar) stops quick. I've left the stock as is (which means it beats me like a stepchild), because it really turns in some nice groups, and I'm afraid I'll lose the accuracy if I change the furniture. My other hesitation about restocking is that I'd lose the bayonet lug. Bayonets for these rifles are cheap, well made, rugged as an Abrams tank, and very handy tools for "SHTF" situations, which is in part what I had in mind for the rifle.

Based on the ballistics, I'd be confident using it for anything in North America, except the big bears. It MIGHT work very well on THOSE, but I'd want fatter projectiles, launched faster, since MURPHY and his laws seem to follow me around, when I hunt.

And I think you did a tremendous public service, taking in this poor homeless rifle!! It just breaks my heart, when I see stray firearms abandoned at the side of some lonely road!