I "adopted" this homeless rifle :)

CarJunkieLS1

Today I stopped by the local gun shop just to chat with the owner and kill a little bit of time...wrong move LOL.

I was looking around and saw a nice looking wood stock with hinged floor plate high on the shelf behind the counter. Curiously I asked what rifle it was and it was a rifle he just received on consignment and hadn't even tagged it yet...It was a Rem 700 Classic in 8x57 Mauser 24" barrel Its in 98% condition there is one "ding" on the blued barrel the stock is perfect, bright clear bore, bolt is smooth, and there isn't a spec of rust anywhere.

I FELL IN LOVE I seem like odd ball not so common calibers especially for the Southern US. I'm a reloader so it isn't much concern, but I do have some questions. What is the twist rate? How common is this rifle? What are your experiences with the 8mm mauser? Finally, Any general info about caliber, rifle, load data, experience, etc. is very much appreciated.

here are Pics

here is the ding on the barrel

Nice!

What did you have to give for it?

As for the cartridge, pretty much anything you can do with the .30-06 you can do with the 8x57 Mauser. The bullet selection is somewhat more limited, but you can still find some excellent bullets if you handload.

I've wanted one of the 700 Classics in .300 Savage for some time.

CarJunkieLS1

I thinking a 170gr Sierra Pro-Hunter going 2650-2700fps will be easy enough on the shoulder but will pack a big punch on deer 200yds and closer. I got it for $425 OTD. I've seen a few onlne sell for $500-600 so I done well I think.

"I got it for $425 OTD."

Good price. Solidly good price. I think the chambering helped you a bit on that, though.

I've always been partial to Hornady bullets myself.

T. O'Heir

The 8mm Mauser will do anything a .30-06 will do. Any game in North America. The ding is easily fixed with cold bluing.
Oh and your rifle was only made in 2004. Supposedly not very many of 'em. Only 2248. Not from a 100% reliable source though.

Doyle

The 8mm Mauser will do anything a .30-06 will do. Any game in North America.

That is certainly true for a handloader. For a non-handloader you are stuck with fairly limited factory ammo - much of which includes "downloaded" stuff safe for the old milsurps.

walks with gun

My dad bought one several years ago, it was almost magic the way he took deer with it, it didn't seem to matter what the range or if they were standing or running. He decided to try something else and traded it off, and he's regretted it ever since. I don't remember what his handloads were but keep thinking he used sierra 170gr. bullets a bit hotter than factory loads. Enjoy.

reynolds357

8mm Mauser is one of the few rifles left on my bucket list. I have a 98 German that is still 100% military condition, but I have always wanted a sporter. I have looked for a Remington Classic like your new one for years and have not found many. The ones I have found the owners thought a lot more of them than I did.
Nice Rifle. ;);)

CarJunkieLS1

Thanks everyone. I'm a handloader so I plan on loading them to European specs not the anemic American loadings. I've got 175gr Sierra Pro-Hunters on the way along with brass and dies. A 175gr SP bullet going ~2750fps should be DEADLY on deer out to 200yds (max distance where I hunt)

tangolima

I like 8mm Mauser, could be more so than 30-06. It is as effective, but more efficient, like .308 win. Bullet choice and price is a concern.

I'm sure you will like your new rifle. I have 2 bolt guns and 1 semi auto in that caliber. They all shoot great.

Happy New Year!

-TL

RaySendero

CarJunkieLS1 wrote:

a Rem 700 Classic in 8x57 Mauser 24" barrel Its in 98% condition there is one "ding" on the blued barrel the stock is perfect, bright clear bore, bolt is smooth, and there isn't a spec of rust anywhere.

CJLS1,

Find out the collector value of that rifle. Rem didn't make very many of them that one year. I've seen some go for $,$$$.$$

If you then decide to keep it - I believe the twist rate is Rem's std 1:10. So it should handle 150 to 200 grain bullets well. I've reloaded for two 8mm Mausers. Both liked IMR-4064 with 185 gr bullets and IMR-4895 w/ 200s. I preferred the 200 grain Speer HCs and the 200 NPTs.

Jimro

I would have jumped on that too.

I use 45gr of IMR 4064 and a 185 Corelokt in Rem brass with CCI 200 primers. Mild recoil and quite accurate, more than enough to handle anything in the south. As always, reduce by 10% and do your own load workup because that mostly pristine Remington barrel may handle things differently than my worn milsurp Mauser barrels :)

Happy shooting, and good luck hunting,

Jimro

reynolds357

Tangolima, thanks for reminding me about the semi-autos. I have a Hakim stashed away somewhere in a safe I need to go find.;)

tangolima

Indeed the Hakim is an interesting rifle. It has direct infringement lock mechanism. I sort of regret I didn't get one when it was still available from samco global.

Fn49 could be a bit more refined. But one commonality is the no nonsense 8mm Mauser cartridge. It actually has longer history than 30-06, and like everything German made, it is well thought out and make engineering sense in almost all aspects; instead of just simply bigger is better. Of course it is just me talking to myself.

-TL

Last edited:

SaxonPig

Well, maybe not QUITE as versatile as the '06 given the smaller selection of available bullets but certainly a useful cartridge. I think it would be worth what you paid just to look down and see that caliber stamping.

I have a couple of 8x57s but all are old, none are commercially produced being either military issue or converted from same.

Like this one...

standard.jpg

Husqvarna

That is certainly true for a handloader. For a non-handloader you are stuck with fairly limited factory ammo - much of which includes "downloaded" stuff safe for the old milsurps.

doesn't NORMA sell alotta stuff in the US?

they have several great bullet choices for a wide variety.

the 8x57 is a great round with soft recoil and good power, heck I rather shot that then some of the hotter 30-06 which can be snappy as hell