Hunting versus...

Uncle Billy

Hunting and fishing trips of my childhood...

While I'm not a hunter myself, I've spent a lot of time in the woods with friends and family on hunting trips. I do like fishing and fishing trips as well. The best parts of it are the fellowship of a bunch of guys who like each other, living rough, cooking on a fire, sleeping in tents or a tepee or, most often a log cabin 28 miles by outboard boat from the closest people, with outside facilities, no electricity or running water, cooking on a wood-burning iron stove with lids and brass decorations...

... the smells of bacon and eggs frying over an open fire in the middle of our little cluster of tents on the river's edge, the coffee perking and steaming on a frosty morning as the mist rises off the river and the boats and motors are wet with dew or even frost; the shore dinner miles from camp at noon where we beached the boats, filleted and breaded about 2 dozen walleyes we had started keeping about 11 o'clock, and fried them in a huge frying pan over a driftwood fire, the beans steaming in a pot and the potatoes wrapped in tin foil with onion and butter tossed in the fire burning our fingers as we unwrapped them; then after washing the gear, the old guys would lounge around the impromptu campsite on the deserted shore, napping in the warm sun while we kids would toss spinning lures off the shore and wish the oldsters would wake up and go fishing again, where the only people we ever saw for a week were the 10 of us, and if you saw a boat in the distance, it was one of ours...

... or the early mornings in my grandfather's primitive but roomy log cabin which was 15 miles up a first-gear-and-crawling logging "road", in the late fall, before dawn, where the cooks (usually including me as "helper") would have the huge iron stove hot with a softwood fire which warmed the main floor level, the bacon or sausage frying, the toasted bread on a platter in the warming oven, taking egg orders or serving the oatmeal as each of the hunters came down from the loft and had their juice, and coffee poured from a 6 quart pot (they never would have rolled out of their bedrolls into the early morning chill and damp of the cabin loft if the smell of the cooking hadn't waked them up); laying out the summer sausage, bread, candy bars and fruit for each to pack his lunch; dressing in woolen clothes and heavy boots, handling the rifles and shotguns as the party was readying themselves to head out on a 4 or 5 mile hike to the area of the day's watch-and-drive for white tails, leaving as the weak, cold light of dawn spread through the forest...

... the warmth and friendly baking bread smell of the cabin at day's end when the 8 or 10 hunters returned, chilled and shivering with the sweat of the hike back, maybe carrying a field-dressed buck or two which was hung from the giant pine out front; the bunch of them in their long johns and heavy sox, having a beer and telling stories of the day's hunt while dinner was on (or in) the stove, filling the cabin with the smells of roasting beef (early in the trip) or venison rump roast (later, if we had been lucky enough to bag a button buck for camp meat); the inevitable poker game after cleanup, with the Coleman lantern hissing overhead and Canadian Club or Chevas Regal poured over ice from off the porch; the antics that always went on, making story-telling fodder for the rest of the year, like the time somebody snuck out to the outhouse and fired a few rounds with the .45 my uncle always carried, into the collected mess under it while somebody was aboard one of the 2 holes- it was an up-scale privy- and was never invited to go hunting again, or the time someone tossed a firecracker into the stove, which blew all the lids off their holes- he wasn't invited again either...

...the deep silence and absolute darkness as the Coleman faded and went out at rack time; the rapid dash to the privy or behind a tree, when pausing outside for a moment presented you with the absolute isolation, the absolute blackness of the sky freckled with a million spots of sparkling light, and whiteness of the snow, the outlines of tall standing pines that surrounded the cabin rustling gently in the breeze, the cold brightness of moonlight shining over it all made you feel small and insignificant, but really fortunate to have an opportunity to be this intimate with the natural world, the forest, and the beauty of what God had made for us...

... this goes on and on as I encounter a huge memory readout. I apologize if this is too long.

Last edited:

BIGR

To me its about being outdoors in the woods, smelling the outdoors, seeing wildlife in its own world. Getting together with family members and buddies at the deer camp, cooking those big meals after a day in the woods. Yeap if I had my choice right now I would live way back in the woods and be a hermit. Heck with the everyday hustle and bustle......:mad:

castnblast

I saved tons of $$$ in college by hunting 4 legged instead of 2 legged deer!!!:D

I'm spending my last 3 days vacation hunting - one this friday, and 2 the first week of December for a bowhunt.

Sometimes it's a toss up between kayak fishing and hunting though. I got into offshore kayak fishing, and the rush it gives me is equal to hunting. Nothing like catching a 58 3/8" kingfish on a kayak 3 miles out in the gulf of Mexico! The best thing is, that season does not interfear with my hunting!!! It's a summer thing. I hate cold water.

wyobohunter

You have one buddy that invites you out on hunt on the same weekend another buddy invites you to a ballgame. Which would you pick?

Hunting of any kind every time...

You plan on spending an entire afternoon hunting, your best girl wants you to spend that same afternoon with her? Which would you pick?

Define "spend the afternoon", also depends on what kind of hunting.

You have two days of vacation left this year. Do you use them to go to a vacation resort or to a hunting cabin?

Hunt... Err, what kind of resort? Premium skiing vs. rabbit hunting? Skiing.... Or is it X-Country skiing vs. an awesome Dall Sheep hunt?.. hunting for sure;)

Last edited:

rodwhaincamo

Hunting is my favorite of favorites. I would always chose hunting over anything else. I used to be able to nearly hunt at will, so if my GF/SO were to want me to be with her that time I would choose her instead only because I don't want the tension and would have plenty of other opportunities. But she is not like that, and so I would go hunting. Anything outdoors ranks high with me.

grymster2007

I've never really been hunting, so depending on what kind of hunting, I'd pass up a lot of other activities if I had an opportunity to try it.

1. I've been to a couple of professional baseball games in my time (yawn) and had season tickets for the 49ers for a few years, but these days, you couldn't pay me to walk across the street to see most any "sporting event".
  2. An afternoon with Mrs. Grymster rates pretty high on my list, but I'm sure she'd understand.
  3. I'd probably choose hunting... as long as I hadn't been shorting the missus.

one-shot-one

You have one buddy that invites you out on hunt on the same weekend another buddy invites you to a ballgame. Which would you pick?
HUNT, DON'T EVEN HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THAT ONE!

You plan on spending an entire afternoon hunting, your best girl wants you to spend that same afternoon with her? Which would you pick?
MARRIED FOR 29 YEARS, HUNT!

You have two days of vacation left this year. Do you use them to go to a vacation resort or to a hunting cabin?
1 WEEK HUNTING 1 WEEK AT RESORT, TO MAKE UP WITH THE WFE!

How high of a priority is hunting in your life?
SURE WISH I HAD MORE TIME & PLACES TO HUNT!

I find hunting boring. If venison, duck, pheasant and squirrel were not so delicious I would not partake. I actually started deer hunting only after I was unable to find a source for venison at less than $20/pound.

TMUSCLE1

Great thread...for me it just depends on the occasion. I honestly enjoy hiking just as much as hunting. I enjoy walking a new hard path with a small pack and a water bottle. Not only is it relaxing to be out in the quiet, but it keeps me active as I enjoy working out.

I also enjoy a good ball game with friends, as I'm a sports fan. I will also sometimes choose to go fishing over hunting.

Last but not least, hanging with the girl is a really good time too. After a hectic week of work for both of us, it is nice to go on a walk or out somewhere with her to just spend some "real" time together. That and sometimes it is just as much fun to be active indoors. :D

williamd

Had my spouse drop me about 5 miles across the ridges and I was to hikle/hunt to camp. About half way saw a doe so decided to check chamber ... nothing in chamber, nothing in pocket! :D Enjoyed the hike on a sunny day with an inch of snow on the pine needles.

Won my club's prize (twice) for the guy who 'went the fartherest, spent the most and shot the least!' Yukon and upper BC.

All great trips. Yep the hunting/outdoors is it. As an old (older than me!) friends sez, 'that's why they call it hunting and not killing'.

Enjoy all you can while you can!!!!!!

cnimrod

How important is hunting to you?
Father always said you won't hunt long if all you care about is taking a deer.
Gotta love just being out in the woods. I do. Deer hunting does get you up a lot earlier to see the woods wake up.

Ballgame over hunting. Never (unless the kids are playing)

Your best girl wants you to spend that same afternoon with her.
Family does come first but she wouldn't be my best girl if she gave me that choice.

vacation resort or hunting cabin?
Hunting, unless I'm alone, the camaraderie is a big part of the appeal. After 25 plus years of hunting with pretty good success, I'm more excited to take less experienced hunters out and I work harder to get them a deer than myself.

is hunting a priority? I was more rabid about it when i was younger sometimes family commitments cause me to change plans. Following thru on commitments is more important but hunting is definitely up there.

zahnzieh

Hunting and outdoor activities rank number 1 with me. Cant think of anything I'd rather do than bowhunt. I think I get the biggest kick out of "the stalk/set" - positioning my tree-stand just right and out-witting mr. Buck. It is sufficient for me just to see deer in an evening hunt. Kind of like the old Indians 'counting coup" getting as close to their enemies from another tribe as possible without being detected. I think people who go on canned hunts miss this aspect of hunting - it has to be MY accomplishment

RamSlammer

Only thing that comes close for me are the far too infrequent sailing trips I get in every few years. Not a spin around a bay one afternoon, but actually going somewhere at least 500 miles over blue water via just the wind.