Hunting Skills

FrankenMauser

I'm not a blind/stand hunter. I'm a stalker. I take off into the mountains, and may cover 10+ miles in a day, trying to find my prey. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but I figured I'd try to add some generalized (and hopefully short) responses here:

Deer behavior (finding the deer, knowing where to set up your stand, lots more in this category)
-Every area is different, and the animals may spontaneously change their travel routes and habits on a weekly basis. Experience and knowledge of the area really come into play. Being able to read a topo map is a great head start, but actually seeing the land that topo map represents can turn all of your preconceived notions upside down, due to unforeseen circumstances.
"Hot Spots" are always a good thing to hone in on: wallows, isolated water holes, "super highway" game trails, bedding areas with massive amounts of use, mineral-rich soil, or anything else that may be important in the area.
Choke points can almost always be used to a hunters advantage, too (this is one of those times where being able to read a topo map can give you a head start in locating such a feature).
Most importantly.... Deer, Elk, Antelope, and most other big game animals are lazy. If they aren't running away from a predator, they're going to take the path of least resistance. Even if they are running away, they may still take the easiest route for maintaining speed.

Deer anatomy (knowing where to aim for clean kills)
-Study anatomical drawings, help field dress and butcher other animals, and understand what you're shooting (capabilities of the rifle, cartridge, and bullet).

Tracking skills -- incl both before & after shooting
-Scrapes and rubs can help you get closer to a buck, but plain old hoof prints can be more useful. Size and shape of tracks are useful in determining animal size and health (and even sex). Orientation, depth, drag marks, stride length, and proximity can determine speed, type of gait (bounding, running, loping, etc), how far the animal was likely to have traveled. And, of course, you always need to be able to read the age of the tracks. If they're 3 days old, they helpful, but not as much as something that's 5 minutes old.
Poop is useful, as well, but most hunters don't enjoy grabbing piles of feces to see how warm it is, or checking to see what the animals have been eating. (I know one hunter that has been know to taste it, if it looks exceptionally fresh. :eek:)

Judging the distance / angle of the shot, knowing which shots to pass up
-Practice and experience matter the most. Time spent with your firearm and the load you hunt with is very important. Additional experience with that rifle and load, while pursuing small game, hogs, or varmints is even more helpful.
Knowing when to pass is a very personal thing, relying heavily on the hunter's ethics. I, personally, won't take a shot I don't know I can make. If there's ANY doubt, I pass (or find a way to improve my confidence, before taking the shot).

Field cleaning
-I took a Hunters' Ed class when I was about 13 years old. I know we watched a few videos on field-dressing Elk, Deer, and fowl. But... All I really remember was a stupid "burning snowball" stunt the instructor pulled, and all the bullet holes in the ceiling of the classroom.
When it was time for me to field dress my first animal (Antelope), I actually had 2 of them to take care of, and it was going to be 45 to 90 minutes in the hot sun before an experienced hunter could lend a hand. I dove in with my crappy knife, doing my best to remove what I thought I should, while trying not to taint the meat and attempting to keep the liver and heart clean. The experienced hunters arrived in time to guide me through proper removal of the anus, genitalia, and colon (a critical task). -I made some mistakes, but none were serious; and I learned A LOT from that experience.
Reading books and watching videos can offer insight and valuable warnings, but there's nothing as useful as diving right in.
Having a good knife helps a lot. Buying a more appropriate knife (or set of knives) after you realize the first one was a mistake, is something that comes from experience.

How to drag the carcass out of the woods
-Plan ahead. When that plan falls apart for whatever reason the Gods chose that day.... Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

How to cut up the carcass & store the meat for use
-Books are very helpful in this case. However... it doesn't hurt to just cut a quarter off the animal, and start de-boning by following the muscle groups. With a little experience, you learn what types of muscles are best for which uses, and how picky you have to be about trimming sinew from each cut (fat is bad - get rid of all of it).
Storage seems to be a personal decision. My family prefers wrapping everything in freezer paper, but most hunters we know tend to prefer vacuum-packaging methods (and a few still use canning/smoking/preservation methods). Each method has its pros and cons that have to be weighed by the end-user.

(Those were 'short' responses... :rolleyes:)

jmr40

Just learning how to be comfortable in the outdoors. In addition to hunting I'm also outside camping,hiking and backpacking much of the year. I know lots of good hunters who freak out if out of site of a road. Many don't know how to stay warm and dry, or own the equipment, to be able to stay out when weather conditions go bad.

If you are not at ease with being outdoors, don't have the skills to get miles into the woods and back safely, you won't concentrate on hunting while you are there. Or, you'll stay within 200 yards of the road with all the rest of the hunters.

Kreyzhorse

Just to add to Frankenmauser.... Beyond field dressing, just the proper care of the game meat in general.

I've seen guys bring in a deer for processing that had clearly "gone over." I believe the deer was shot at least two days prior.

One warm day, 80 degrees or more, I watched a guy shoot a doe and then allow her to lay for over an hour before he even got out of his stand to look at her. From there, he started dragging her out of the woods without cleaning her.

A coworker's family does game processing a during deer season and I was amazed at how often they get hunters bringing in deer without field dressing them.

To me, not immediately dressing the game is asking for some funky meat.

scottycoyote

probably the biggest skills in my mind is using topo maps and onsite scouting as well as taking into account how the wind goes thru the area as to successful deer hunting. I try and find multiple good spots that work with all the different scenarios......ex.i have one spot i can only approach from the south and the hunting area lays to the north and east, so i only hunt it when i have a southwest, eastern, or northeast wind, anything else is a waste of time. Ive got one that i come in from the east, so a westerly wind is perfect, etc. Once you find good spots, only hunt them when they are under optimal conditions...i feel like you burn out your stands the more you use them.

Buzzcook

Visit your game unit several times before the season starts. Wonder around and make your own map of the area.

Be wery wery quiet.

buck460XVR

Visit your game unit several times before the season starts. Wonder around and make your own map of the area.

Since the OP is from Washington State, I suggest he do that walkin' now. I suspect like us here there is still some snow on the ground...old snow, showing major game trails and evidence of where the game spends it's time bedding and traveling from beds to food. It is also a good time to learn the easiest access in and out of an area and is the time to clear shooting lanes if legal and needed. Old snow will also show the lesser used trails that old bucks use as opposed to main trails used by does, fawns and smaller bucks. These trails are almost impossible to find in summer and fall because they are the travel routes of a single deer. Scouting, making blinds and clearing shooting lanes now means one does not have to disturb game come this fall. Many times that old buck only needs to be jumped once or feel the slightest pressure and they change their area and habits for a long period of time. With leaves off the trees, it's also easier to see thru the woods as opposed to when the trees and brush are leaved out. One needs to consider this when picking a stand, but it easier to see what direction the animals may come from or what they use as alternate routes. Trails used for normal movement differ many times from trails used as escape routes, even tho they may only be a short distance apart. A heavy trail in a more open area means normal movement...a slightly used trail thru thick cover close by generally means a escape route. Different stands for different types of hunting. During bow season normal trails work well for smaller bucks and antlerless deer, and may work for large bucks during the rut. But the big bucks will take their own trails early on. Come gun season and the shooting starts, most deer will tend to leave their normal trails and stick to the thicker cover of escape routes. Again, this is just general woodsmanship.

Panfisher

SAFETY. No deer on the planet is worth your life or someone elses life. Safety is an attitude that should never leave your mind.

Quadpod88

In addition to all the fantastic tips mine would have to be:
1: If you're camping a game trail, don't sit directly on it, instead have a good line of sight on it(but still out of sight).
2: Know the water holes in the area, especially the popular ones.

When I decided to go on my first deer hunt...

I was almost 30 years old. I had grown up in a part of Texas where there were no deer.

I finished that first hunt with a 16 point, 175 (gross) B&C buck!

The secret to my success was that I spent about a month going through back issues of hunting magazines, writing down "how to" tips on a yellow pad of paper.

Each time I found a tip I had previously read, I would put a little "tick mark" beside it, in the margin of my notes.

When I finished my reading, I had about 2 dozen tips, techniques, and tactics.

Then I went to the woods and put them in practice

Nim Rod

Looks like you've had a lot of really good advice given here..and perhaps some not so good advice, but I'm not going to address those as a newbie here and make new enemies right off the bat, lol...neither do I wish to be redundant in stating anything that has already been said.
What I didn't see asked, or stated, is what type of deer you plan to hunt? White Tail, Mule Deer, other? I am only familiar with hinting the first two, and I prefer Mule Deer over White Tail (ok, so I'm not normal, lol) I bring this up because hunting strategies can vary according to which type of deer you hunt.

I can see where stand or still hunting might be good for White Tail, but not so much for Mule Deer....where I hunt in Wyoming anyway...I'm a stalker, not a sitter. So I imagine where you hunt also needs to be considered to determine if stand hunting or stalking will best serve you. And yes, knowledge of your hunt area is a must, for many reasons already stated in previous posts by others.

Peroxide hasn't been mentioned yet...that I noticed anyway...as part of my hunt pack, I always carry a bottle of peroxide in a spray bottle..if you ever loose a blood trail, it can be used sparingly to locate small specks of blood as it will bubble and foam on contact....but one needs to have at least an inkling of which way your game was headed else you just waste your peroxide. I've never had to use it deer hunting as my kills rarely go more than a few feet before going down and staying down...but for elk or antelope, that can cover a lot of ground on adrenaline even with lung or heart shot out, the peroxide can be invaluable.

But my best advice is for you to go with a seasoned experienced hunter your first few hunts....nothing beats hands on education and experience. Good luck

reynolds357

Skill #
1. Planting Soybeans.
2. Planting Corn
3. Planting Clover
4. Planting Oats
5. Hanging around you hunting grounds so regularly that the deer pay you absolutely no attention.
6. Disregard all the traditional things always thought necessary to kill deer.

Last edited:

reynolds357

Thats the idea. Watch the small ones and only shoot a big one every year or two. Meat hunt away from the trophy hunting land.

buck460XVR

Skill #
1. Planting Soybeans.
2. Planting Corn
3. Planting Clover
4. Planting Oats
5. Hanging around you hunting grounds so regularly that the deer pay you absolutely no attention.
6. Disregard all the traditional things always thought necessary to kill deer.

Watch the small ones and only shoot a big one every year or two. Meat hunt away from the trophy hunting land.

Most folk call that "shooting" as opposed to "hunting".

You forgot to include the erection of a high fence. You know.....just to keep the other animals out.:rolleyes:

reynolds357

No fences. Its fair chase as long as its open range. With my work schedule, I dont have an exceptional amount of time to be in the woods at dawn and dusk. I do have time in the middle of the day to go over to the hunting land several times a week for a few hours and plant some food plots. I look at the time invested in agriculture as part of the hunting.

Priority #1 >BUY YOUR OWN LAND!!< Then hone what hunting skills one claims they possess.To say there is none available or I can't. "Than one hasn't tried hard enough. As there is a way.> Always."

S/S

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Let's not go wandering off topic. The deal is about the skills needed to find some particular game animal.

HOW one hunts is controlled by terrain and vegetation, which has a whole bunch of variation for success. What works in the Wyoming grasslands won't work in the south Texas brasada--and that is different from the bottomland swamps of the Appalachicola River.

shortwave

HOW one hunts is controlled by terrain and vegetation, which has a whole bunch of variation for success. What works in the Wyoming grasslands won't work in the south Texas brasada--and that is different from the bottomland swamps of the Appalachicola River.

Now that's worth repeating.