Hunting ammo for a Garand

sevt_chevelle

Get a gas plug from Garand Gear and some 150 gr Remington Cor-lokts.

The Garand gear plug is basically a hollowed out USGI plug, it decrease gas pressure on the op rod by increasing the available volume. By doing so you are able to use "some" commercial ammo, that ammo is listed in the previous link I posted.

I run one with Garand safe ammo and powders, it just removes some the violence out the action operating and the gun doesn't seem to beat it self anymore.

agtman

Get a gas plug from Garand Gear and some 150 gr Remington Cor-lokts.

Are you referring to that bullet in '06 or .308?

Also, how, if at all, does the GG gas plug differ from the Schuster plug?

Thanks.

Bart B.

Military ammo for both the 30-06 and 7.62 NATO ammo used in both versions of the Garand were spec'd at 50,000 CUP pressure. Winchester spec'd their commercial version of the NATO round dubbed 308 Winchester at 52,000 CUP in a slightly different pressure measuring system.

People in the 1950's used "PSI" documenting pressure derived from crushed copper discs calibrated in copper units of pressure (CUP). They had done that for decades ignorant of the confusion looming as electronic strain transducers were being developed to measure pressure in pounds per square inch (PSI) with higher numerical values for the same cartridge.

Port pressure in the M1 with NATO ammo was too low for reliable operation so it was drilled out a bit bigger. Thousands of rounds of commercial 308 Win match ammo's been shot in Garands without any issues.

A normal max safe load for 308's with 150 to 180 grain bullets with powders in the 4895 and 4064 range will be dandy in 308 Garands. Spitzer bullets will probably function better than round nose ones.

Last edited:

nate_g_2003

I've shot a few boxes worth of 06 Remington Core-Lokt 150gr PSPs out of my M1 (with a GarandGear gas plug). I've never had any issue with feeding with those rounds.

sevt_chevelle

Are you referring to that bullet in '06 or .308?

Also, how, if at all, does the GG gas plug differ from the Schuster plug?

Thanks.

Both.

The plug from Garand gear is just basically an USGI plug that has been hollowed out. There is no adjustment no nothing, remove the stock plug, screw in Garand gear plug. The Schuster plug is adjustable so you have some ability to tune the gas system. The GG plug is kinda a simple one size fits all solution.

I reload for my Garand and run some commercial ammo through it but its Garand safe. Run the plug because like I said earlier the gun just doesn't beat itself to death anymore.

Last edited:

agtman

Bart B. & Sevt, thanks for your replies.

On choosing the right plug, it sounds like the GG plug is the simpler way to go if it's already "pre-set" to regulate commercial-pressured .308 hunting loads.

Again, my cous' doesn't reload (too busy w/work, ... yadda, yadda) so he'll be grabbing something off the shelf in soft-point ammo for the hogs, and most likely it'll be a few boxes of this brand or that so he can test-fire a clip of each to see which gives best accuracy @ 100yds.

Thanks.