How would you describe the Makarov's recoil?

TunnelRat

On my CZ 82 it feels like a sharp jolt to the web of my hand. It's very noticeable, but not at all painful and I can shoot 100 rds in a sitting without it bothering me. Blowbacks are what they are, however.

Ibmikey

Of the many 9x18 pistols that I have, Mak's, P64's , PA 63, CZ 82's etc. the only ones with objectionable recoil are the P64's-- they just make this old hand wince in pain after a mag or so. I like the cartridge and in my opinion of East Block firearms the CZ 82 is the best designed and reliable of all. A bit big for CC but a heck of a shooter.

Deaf Smith

Due to the horrific DA triggers on the PP/PPK and P64 pistols I'd pick the Mak, especially the East German made one's, any day if the week.

Yes the PPK is more finicky in .380 (I've owned several over the years) and the Mak does kick a bit more. But the fmj 9x18 is more blunt than the .380 fmj and a bit faster. JHPs are made for the Mak to, just not as many as the .380.

So if the PPK gives you any more problems, hunt down a EG Makarov. I have one and it is excellent.

Deaf

Doyle

Due to the horrific DA triggers on the PP/PPK and P64 pistols I'd pick the Mak,

DA trigger on the P-64 is only bad with the factory main spring. A 2-minute $5 spring replacement makes it as smooth as any DA gun I've ever shot.

steves2

I have an East German Makarov, and several Walther PPK/Ss. I haven't shot them side by side, but the recoil is similar, and not unpleasant. My Polish P-64s however feel like they are going to split my thumb from the rest of my hand!

Ibmikey

Yeah what Steves2 said ! My E G Mak is a flawless shooter a little heavy for carry on my skinny frame but it is quick to put into action if necessary. The difference between EG Mak's and Russian milling and finish is striking.

Pilot

It is a bit snappy, but not unpleasant, nor uncomfortable as others have said. A Pearce grip helps a lot, but also makes the grip thicker, so I prefer the original Red Star grips for my Bulgies.

The East German Maks are generally agreed to be the best of the bunch in both finish and trigger. The one I have has a trigger on par with any of my S&W revolvers, and a single action that is quite crisp and light.

USMC 77-81

I find my Bulgarian Mak pleasant to shoot. I don't shoot it very often but when I do I'm always a little surprised at how robust the little round is. My EDC is a 1911 .45 but I have carried the Mak and never feel under gunned.

doofus47

My impression of Bulgie Mak 9x18 recoil

The concussive force is "sharp" in the sense that it happens quickly.
(think spike shaped waves on an oscilloscope).
The amount of force is minimal.
(think of small spike shaped waves on an oscilloscope.)
Hope that helps