How to remove nipple with rounded-off shoulders?

foolzrushn

discontinued?

Was it a good price? That brand has been around a long time. Hope that works. I would rather use a hand rachet for touchy jobs.

Pahoo

Easy-Outs are common

screw extractor bit set
Fellas, these are also commonly referred to as an Easy-Outs which has been mentioned in previous replies. They are very common and easy to find. The last set I bought was at Ace Hardware. Craftsman also make their "improved" version. I don't use mine often but they sure come in handy ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

mehavey

[extractors] discontinued...?
Nope, multiple sets of different sizes (down to and including itsy-bysty
ones that would fit nipple/flash channels) were hanging all over the drill-bit
area of the tool section walls.

maillemaker

After pondering it a bit, I thought of how to get the wrench to bite harder on the nipple. Here is what I did and it worked great. No cutting, grilling, grinding, or easy-out required.

After I got the nipples out, I clamped them in the vice with some leather and gently filed the flats sharp again. At least, sharp enough hopefully to provide sufficient bite next time if someone is careful removing them. :)

http://i.imgur.com/Sk6hvlw.jpg

Steve

Pahoo

Very nice !!!

maillemaker
Good call and you did mention that the others came out fairly easy. All you needed to take care of this headache, was an aspirin. Thanks for the follow-up as I have been looking forward to see the fix. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

maillemaker

Good call and you did mention that the others came out fairly easy. All you needed to take care of this headache, was an aspirin.

Yup, I think the previous owner just didn't apply enough downward pressure when removing the nipples for cleaning and, thanks to the notoriously soft steel in these repros, just rounded them off.

Hopefully with the re-filed flats and the lithium grease applied to the threads they will come out easily enough next time. I really don't feel like dropping $40 on a set of nipples.

Steve

gyvel

This would be my method: First, I would let the nipple soak with applications of "100% pure natural wintergreen oil" that you get from your local tree hugger health food store (not the Walgreens variety), then I would bore the nipple out enough to get an EZ Out into it.

As always, YMMV.

603doug

i had fasteners broke off in a crank and knew every easyout i have ever tried was one more thing to drill out. I chased down a Mac tool guy and he had this system you drill a hole and tap a spined rod into the hole then a special nut slid over the spine and you could back out the most miserable screw. It has all sizes and i have used it hundreds of times with success. Damn thing cost 75 bucks at the time but was well spent.

foolzrushn

undersized?

Does your wrench still fit well enough to remove this filed nipple? It occurred to me that if it was too undersized, You might possibly file new flats 90 degrees from the old ones, that would fit your wrench.

Only if necessary of course. Really I don't tighten my nipples much at all. That might change if I lose one.

In the future, a deep freeze can be your friend.

I've removed VERY thoroughly stuck screws and bolts in the past using penetrating oil and letting the part(s) sit in a freezer for several days.

maillemaker

Does your wrench still fit well enough to remove this filed nipple? It occurred to me that if it was too undersized, You might possibly file new flats 90 degrees from the old ones, that would fit your wrench.

Only if necessary of course. Really I don't tighten my nipples much at all. That might change if I lose one.

I just used a file to dress up the shoulders. Should be enough bite now to remove them if I'm careful. Sadly I was not careful with the file on one of the nipples and now the side of the nipple has a very slight flat spot on it now - hopefully this does not become a gap to cause a chain fire! Really I need to buy a replacement set of nipples and will probably do so at some point.

I do not crank the nipples in extremely tight when I put them in, and I applied lithium grease to the threads before re-installing them, so hopefully they will now come out easily the next time.

You just have to be very careful when disassembling these Italian reproductions and use well-fitting, well-seated tools when working on them as it is easy to bugger screw heads, nipple shoulders, etc.

sTeve

James K

Member In Memoriam
Rounded edges on nipples, and rounded off screw slots have the same cause; the driver/wrench was allowed to slip off the work.

So the removal of nipples with worn shoulders and screws with worn slots can be handled the same way. Use a short nipple wrench or screwdriver blade. Clamp it in the chuck of a drill press. Do not turn on the power. Clamp the work (suitably padded) in the drill press vise and bring the tool down onto the nipple or screw. Hold the chuck down with the drill press handle and turn the chuck by hand, working it back and forth.

If the screw or nipple doesn't respond to that treatment, especially after soaking in a penetrant, give up and drill the thing out.

Jim

bedbugbilly

In years past, I've had original long guns with really battered nipples and shoulders so that they couldn't be removed with a nipple wrench. If all else fails, find a good machinist who can clamp it square in a drill press or mill - bore/drill the hole out large enough to use a very small "easy out". Gently drive the easy out into the bored hole and the gripping power of the easy out on the inside of the bored hole should allow you to use a small crescent/open end wrench to back out what remains of the nipple - which should be pretty much a threaded "sleeve".