How to remove nipple with rounded-off shoulders?

maillemaker

The Uberti 1858 I picked up has one nipple that has the shoulders rounded off so I cannot remove it with a nipple wrench.

What's the best way to remove it? Easy out?

Steve

g.willikers

Unless there's a reason to remove them, like they need replacing for some reason, it might be better to just leave them in place.
Just treat them as part of the cylinder and quit while you're ahead.
I have a Remington, gotten used, with the nipples so rusted in place it's just about guaranteed they will break off with any attempt to remove them.
And so far, nothing tried has persuaded them to loosen.
So, I just leave them there and avoid risking a real headache.
It shoots just fine that way.
Just a thought.
Like the old adage, "When in doubt, don't."

Pahoo

Never a joy !!!

Just treat them as part of the cylinder and quit while you're ahead.
g.willikers, brings out some good points. However, eventually they will have to be removed by "someone". We know what caused the problem and after going into the practical's of removing any stuck fastener and still won't budge. The last one I removed, I first tried an easy out as is. Let some penetrant work in for a few days. Still, no go. Eventually drilled out the vent and thinned out the wall. Applied a lot more heat. Tapped it hard with a brass punch, reapplied a larger easy out and slowly worked it out while still tapping. It finally broke loose and the threads dressed up pretty good. When you thin the wall, you weaken the nipple and applying heat will cause expansion and contraction and will help to brake the bond. .... :confused:

Personally, I hope to never go back there, again .... :eek:

P.S. By the way, in the process, I messed up two wrenches.

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

maillemaker

All the rest of the nipples came out just fine, so I don't think they are seized up. It's just that the shoulder has been rolled off. I figure I may as well replace the nipples now before they do seize up.

If I could somehow cut a slot in the end of the nipple I bet a screwdriver would do the trick. Thought about a dremel cutoff wheel but don't want to knick the cylinder.

Steve

mehavey

Run the Dremmel's cut-off disk against something hard (and sacrificial) until
the diameter is worn way down to the point that you can get it into the recess
w/o scoring the cylinder. Then cut through the nipple longitudally enough to get
a screwdriver started with a few hammer taps.

Even if you split the nipple cone at that point, you can then jam the screwdriver
blade down/into the nipple body itself enough to get good bite.

Pahoo

Good call !!!

All the rest of the nipples came out just fine, so I don't think they are seized up
Well then, if that's the case as and you feel it might come out fairly easy, why not let it soak a bit, apply some heat, insert the easy-out and lightly tap while trying to remove it? Then if this doesn't work, try cutting in that slot !! By the way, what is the material of your cylinder? My last one was SS. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

ConRich

Maillemaker

First thing, soak the nipple from inside the cylinder. Drive a round toothpick into the nipple from the outside to seal the chamber, then fill that cylinder with a good penetrating oil, I recommend Kroil, then let it soak for a day with the cylinder vertical and full of Kroill.

After it has soaked, using a small sharp punch and a small ball peen hammer you should be able to get the nipple started, then you can finish the job with needle nose pliers.

I have used this method many times, it works.

Rich

Chris_B

In all my years of wrenching old rusty classic cars (20) I never once had an easy out that handled the job. I preferred to make my own drill block on a Bridgeport rather than use an easy out.

The hot wrench, Kroil or P'blaster, and drills at low rpm with plenty of cutting fluid were things I could rely on.

For the revolver...I'd soak the cylinder in Kroil or P'blaster for 4-5 days first ;)

maillemaker

Again, these nipples are not stuck. At least, none of the other 5 took any appreciable force to get them out.

It's just that the previous owner rounded off the shoulder so I can't get any purchase on them to get them off.

I think I will protect the cylinder and try to cut a slot into the end of the cone with a cutoff wheel with my Dremel, and then use a screwdriver to remove.

Steve

Chris_B

:) Logic dictates that the shoulders were rounded off for a reason. One reason may be that it was stuck when the previous owner tried and now you are dealing with it. Hope it comes out easy.

Chris_B

Huh. Good to know Ben. I never had a problem but you know what that usually means: it means that I haven't had a problem....yet!

Malamute

Logic dictates that the shoulders were rounded off for a reason.

Yes. That reason may be that a previous owned used a cheap nipple wrench that was soft. Its surprising to me sometimes that many people choose the cheapest tools, and are surprised when they dont work all that great.

I'm also in the "if it aint causing a problem, I'd leave it alone" camp. I'd wait til it doesnt work before taking a chance of damaging the cylinder. I rarely take mine out.

foolzrushn

if it's not broke.....

That works as long as you're sure that it's not in the process of breaking. I pulled the nipples on a pistol that may not have even been fired. Sat in a display case for years along with several others. The nipples may have only been set years ago at the factory.

I found that an accumulation of rust was evident in the space between the nipple seat and threads, even though from all outward appearance, everything was really clean.

There was some errosion of the threads nearest the cap end of the nipple, and on the cylinder threads. Several jeweler's screwdriver tips worth of rusty gunk were removed from under each nipple. I even went back to show the owner so that he might take action on the others.

If the gun had been fired, I believe that the BP would have made this area worse. I am of the opinion that pulling the nipples regularly for inspection, and using anti-seize, is a good thing. Gives me peace-of-mind (not the kind given by a spouse).

Any new developments maillemaker?

Last edited:

foolzrushn

I kind of like conrich's post #8 as a start, if you haven't already tried that.

If that didn't work, at worst you would have to drill and carefully file out the nipple. If lucky it will move.

Maybe epoxy a tight-fitting allen wrench in the nipple to twist it out without splitting the nipple. Don't know if it would provide enough force, but you could fracture the epoxy if not and be no worse off.