How to Build a 30-30 Bolt Action?

FrankenMauser

Interesting combination...

How would one arrive at such a beautiful whitetail thumper?

You may have missed my reply. It blends into my signature.. kind of...

Abel:
You're looking at major magazine modifications, a bolt face 'opening', extractor/ejector modifications, and a rebarrel job; at minimum. Done cheaply, you'd have probably $500-700 into the rifle, after the purchase price.
If you want something along the lines of that post... you're looking at a pretty penny more.
My namesake "Franken Mauser" was destined to become a .35 Whelen. Done cheaply, I was looking at about $450; including an absolutely bland 'factory second' stock. Done the way I wanted.... The estimated total was pushing about $3k.

(The FrankenMauser turned out to have two cracks in the action. Now it rests silently, in the back of my gun cabinet. :()

Lawyer Daggit

I have a TC contender carbine that I 'Ackley improved' so that I cannot mix its loads with a Win 94 that I also own.

In a bolt action or single shot the .30-30 is a completely different animal to what it is in a lever action. I commend your choice.

Lawyer Daggit

I have a TC contender carbine that I 'Ackley improved' so that I cannot mix its loads with a Win 94 that I also own.

In a bolt action or single shot the .30-30 is a completely different animal to what it is in a lever action. I commend your choice.

Lawyer Daggit

30-30 class with spitzer bullets? how about a savage 99? ive also got a savage bolt gun in 30-30 i believe its a savage 340a ive been trying to get rid of it for a while, if anyone is interested.

MTT TL

If you don't reload .30-30 is among the cheapest and most widely available large caliber rifle factory ammo you can get. Even during the shortage this year, everywhere I went that sold ammo had some, even when there was no other rifle ammo on the shelves. Ballisticly it is kind of a dinosaur but so are a lot of rounds that are newer and don't work as well.