• My 1911 Barely Fires At All

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • My 1911 Has Other Issues

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jpwilly

Taurus PT1911

The only issues I've had with my Taurus have been with a Kimber mag and SWC reloads. Otherwise Flawless!

Don P

1911 Failures

My question is, how offten are the pistols being cleaned and oiled : how many rounds between cleaning and oiling.
Cylinder & Slides web site states oil should be applied every 50 rounds to ensure function.
Let the flame war begin:cool:

ranburr

My question is, how offten are the pistols being cleaned and oiled : how many rounds between cleaning and oiling.
Cylinder & Slides web site states oil should be applied every 50 rounds to ensure function.
Let the flame war begin

I usually clean mine every thousand rounds or so. Sometimes longer.

ranburr

fastbolt

If it's just going to remain in the safe, and not be carried, then it gets cleaned whenever it starts to get noticeably black and cruddy, or whenever I happen to feel like doing it.

When I recently took my XSE out of the safe for some practice I looked at it and realized I couldn't remember cleaning it since sometime last Fall, or maybe it was last Summer. I'd occasionally used it at the range in the interim, too.

That being the case, I wiped it down and gave it an embarrassingly abbreviated field-strip cleaning & lubrication. I wanted to be able to actually see the feed ramp, barrel throat and breech face, and didn't want to apply lubrication to the congealed black crud. It wasn't what I'd consider properly clean for carrying, but it was clean enough to take it downrange and fire more than 300 rounds of various FMJ/JHP loads through it. No problems. Since I'm not carrying it at the moment it was put away without cleaning ... again. I have little doubt I'll be doing some more shooting with it before I get around to cleaning it again.

I've been treating my SW1911SC 5" the same way, leaving it dirty between taking it out for training & practice sessions. Just as with the XSE, though, I wouldn't carry it unless it was properly cleaned and lubricated.

Now granted, neither of these standard 1911 pistols have anything more than standard tolerances. They aren't match guns.

I've previously used a couple of S&W Performance Center 9mm TDA pistols and have had to keep them cleaner and more frequently lubricated because of their very tight tolerances.

One of the reasons I don't have much inclination to own anything other than "working" 1911 pistols, built to standard tolerances. Of course, not being a competitive target shooter I can afford to 'get by' with ordinary (but good quality) ones.

I just need mine to work reliably enough for my off-duty (and retirement) needs.

I don't need them to be tight enough to shoot offhand 2" cloverleaf groups at 50 yards. Wouldn't matter if they could ... because I can't.

I am a bit surprised at the almost 30% of respondants that have had a failure of some type with their 1911s. (I was one of them) Its higher than I thought it would be.

fastbolt

I am a bit surprised at the almost 30% of respondants that have had a failure of some type with their 1911s. (I was one of them) Its higher than I thought it would be.

I'm not really surprised.

When you consider the importance of replacing recoil & magazine springs, periodic inspections/maintenance, using good quality magazines AND decent ammunition, and the variable familiarity, experience and skills of some people using a 1911 ... AND the apparent variable compatibility of magazines & pistols ... AND the QC of the incredible number of folks making not only the guns, but the parts being used in the guns ... I'm just not all that surprised.

The shooter variable can be a significant one, too. I know everyone owning/shooting a 1911 likes to think they're fully familiar and competent to shoot them, but shooter-induced problems still arguably rank as the significantly greatest cause of pistol functioning 'problems'.

When you start reducing the overall size of the 1911 platform you can sometimes see an upswing in folks reporting 'problems', as well. You'll hear lots of folks offer the opinion that the smaller the platform is reduced, the more potential exists for functioning problems to occur. I can't disagree. I think the smaller platforms do ask more of their users.

I've had more than one user of a diminutive 1911 pistol tell me they can't get their pistols to consistently feed & function, asking me to try them ... and then they work fine in my hands, but once I give it back to them they continue to experience problems.

Grip-related issues (engaging the grip safety insufficiently, thumbing the slide, too lightly tensioned, support hand's thumb riding the slide stop, etc.) and forearm/wrist stability (weakly locked wrist, 'broken' or unlocked, etc.) can create the potential for one person to 'have problems' and yet the same gun may function just fine in the hands of another person, using the same ammunition.

On the other hand, I've seen the occasional small 1911 style pistol just not easily respond to the attention of either the factory or a licensed gunsmith who is reported to specialize in 1911's. I empathized with a shooter one time who had their own gunsmith spend a lot of time trying to get their small 1911 pistol, made by one of the better known makers of such pistols, to reliably function. After the most recent trip to the gunsmith to do something to make the pistol work, the owner brought it to a CCW class and still experienced repeated functioning problems. Frustration was evident. Good ammunition, good magazines, properly lubricated and a skilled shooter who indulges in competition. No joy, though.

I suspect that on the one hand we often have folks who enjoy tinkering, modifying & 'improving' their 1911's ... and on the other end of things we have everybody and their relatives making them nowadays, and who knows how consistent the QC is on any given day.

Last edited:

GWbiker

I have two RIA 1911's with Novak 8 round magazines. After several hundred rounds passing thru them I find NO FTF or any other digestive ailments using Wally-world WWBox, Blazer Brass or Fiocchi 230 grain FMJ.

I initially wanted a used Colt .45 1911, but prices in my area range from just under $600 to $900 depending on it's physical condition.

Kreyzhorse

I find it very interesting that almost 28% of various 1911's report FTE of FTF as a common occurance.

Beyond the scope of this poll, but I'd be curious to see what price range those 1911s with occasional FTE of FTF fall into.

indy245

My 1911 FTE and has never FTF.

My 1911 is a Norinco Commander as seen here:

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/1911A1C.shtm

Marstar is where I bought it and it cost $350.00.;) I'm not sure how to fix the FTE but it seems to do it randomly, I have 4 clips that I have tried that do not make a difference and I have tried alot of different ammo.

I know that this is a cheap knock-off and not even in the same category of gun as most of yours.:barf:

Don P

1911 Reliability

I have a Springfield Mil-Spec. I have been able to run 232 rds. through it before having a FTF. This was after the 500 rd. break-in. Now a lot of people would consider this pistol UNRELIABLE and NOT suited for SD. I will disagree with that.:eek: My reasoning is, when was the last time anyone in a SD senario need 200+ rds? IMO if you can pick up any pistol or revolver after a cleaning and put 1 box (50) rds. through it WITHOUT any issues that handgun is reliable to carry for SD. Again this is my opinion and veiw point.:cool:

4orty5ive

ive put 1500 through my PXT, it only jammed twice. The first time it was just a horrible bullet (the bullet actually was depressed into the casing causign a rough edge where the bullet meets the casing, and it caught). The second time my gun needed to be lubricated (i know, i know..)

so 1 for bad ammunition, and 1 for operator error.

bikerbill

I had to check "occasional" because I had a handful of FTFs while breaking in my then-new Springfield Loaded Champion. After about 300 rounds, the gun has been dead reliable -- probably 3,000 range rounds with no issues -- and it's my nightstand gun, so I trust my life and the life of my wife to it. a great weapon, IMHO

badlander

My Gold Cup has never jammed ever. Over 20,000 rounds all reloads.I do not think It has ever fired factory ammo.
Trigger is to light for carrybut it is reliable.

drail

My Springfield is 100% totally reliable. It feeds fires and ejects with monotonous regularity. I love it to death. I've won matches with it. I still can't bring my self to trust it for defense use. I carry a wheelgun.

captkirk9195

FWIW, my new Kimber 1911 Stainless II, FTFeed at ~178 rnds. I dropped the mag, an noticed the follower in the Wilson Mag was sticking (when stripping, I noticed a slight burr on the follower).

I stripped, cleaned, deburred, and lubed (then unlubed) all 3 Wilson mags afterwards. All is nice since then

HTH

Jason