How perishable is staying proficient with a handgun?

MarkCO

What is a pain is my offhand rifle shooting ability. I just don't have the steadiness to make 100+ yards shots with confidence.

Have you tried the hold-off, move the sights on to the target, breaking the trigger as you stop the movement method?

It works really well. Even if a person has a "hold wobble" of say 5 MOA, they can effectively shoot down to 1 to 2 MOA with that method and a little practice.

totaldla

Have you tried the hold-off, move the sights on to the target, breaking the trigger as you stop the movement method?

It works really well. Even if a person has a "hold wobble" of say 5 MOA, they can effectively shoot down to 1 to 2 MOA with that method and a little practice.
Good suggestion. I'll give that a try.

jetinteriorguy

I never knew there was another way to shoot. LOL

jackstrawIII

I have no hard stats, but I know from experience that you certainly lose your skill over time, but it comes back quickly with practice. All the hours of practice are still there in your brain/muscle memory, but it takes time to polish them back up.

101combatvet

Curious if anyone has any data on how long a proficient shooter can go before they aren’t as proficient as they were.

Military or civilian, how often do you have to shoot to maintain proficiency?
Does the military keep performance records on their shooters, or do they shoot every day / week / ?? when not deployed?
I usually shoot 100 rounds a week. If I miss a few weeks, I will often see a few rounds go out of my normal two-inch circle at ten yards.

shafter

Skill is like a blade, it will cut for a long time but to keep the fine shaving edge you need to constantly touch it up.

BandeauRouge

work 5 12 hour shifts in a row and see how the skills go.

Its why god created Smith and Wesson, and smith and wesson hired someone to make snap caps..