How often do you clean your carry weapon

Crankylove

I clean when they are dirty. A mag or two (or a couple cylinders) through the carry gun when I go out target shooting doesn’t justify a cleaning.

Used to have a 3” 1911 that I would clean before I shot it. First couple shots after it was disassembled/reassembled would always shoot about 10” high at about 7 yards. After the first couple shots, it settled in, and shot fine. Didn’t matter how many times I’d rack it manually after reassembling, would always shoot high. So, o started cleaning before the range trip, put a couple mags through it, then carry it dirty, before cleaning for the next range trip.

jrothWA

Initial detailing and lubing when first comes home.
After a range section, clean the bore and wipe down with oil [that you prefer].
Coming home from a match details it, to see if parts wearing /replacement.

off season detail again.

When I get the erg too. Usually once a month. A good look over, rotation of clip, a wipe down w/micro fiber cloth slightly dampened with Break Free synthetic Clip Lubricant. Having a P7 M8 carry. Fact is its not a pistol its owner wants to disassemble as its workings is quite intricate.

Nick_C_S

How often do you clean your carry weapon?

Not as often as I should.

Until last month, I lived in California. My permit expired in November and I chose not to renew it (it's a two-year permit), considering I was only going to be there a few more months.

I'm in Idaho now and we have permitless carry. However, you must be an Idaho resident for nine months. So it'll be a while before I carry again. In cooler weather (and it's certainly cooler here :p!!), I can layer up and thus, carry my preferred piece: my 3" 686+ 357. With revolvers, cleaning is less of an issue ;)

That said, I do need to get better at maintaining my compact 9mm carry piece (or whatever I'm carrying). I rarely shoot it too; but, at the risk of sounding smug, whenever I do shoot it, I blow out the center of the target, so I really don't see that as much of a problem (I shoot a lot of other handguns regularly). In Ca, you have to qualify with your specific carry piece(s) every two years. I believe, there was a time or two that I hadn't shot my carry piece between qualifications - seriously. But yes, maintenance was done between those periods.

I guess in the time I composed this, I could have given my 9mm a quick clean and lube, right? :)

totaldla

Not as often as I should.

I'm in Idaho now and we have permitless carry. However, you must be an Idaho resident for nine months. So it'll be a while before I carry again.
You don't have to be here 9 months - you just have to be here permanently (get your driver's license).
You have waiting times (6 months) to buy resident hunting/fishing licenses.

Nick_C_S

you just have to be here permanently (get your driver's license).

Getting my driver's license and registering the vehicles are on the agenda for next week. I'm not in a hurry to carry. I find it ironic that the places with permitless carry are also the places where you hardly need to :p (I know. It's neither ironic nor coincidental. But not going political here.)

Getting back to the subject of the post, I did clean my two carry guns today. My Kahr CW9 had quite an abundance of "pocket lint" in it. It was kind of disgusting, actually. Shame on me. The 686+ had lint in the barrel and charge holes, but that was it, of course. That one only took about 3 minutes to get spruced up and ready to go.

Now that I'm in Idaho, I can carry whatever I want. Whatever I carry, I promise I will make sure it's clean before I do so. I cleaned six guns today. More are forthcoming. They were being stored for me in my son-in-law's safe for the last year, while going through the move. It's so nice to be in Idaho. Sorry, I digressed - again.

totaldla

Getting my driver's license and registering the vehicles are on the agenda for next week. I'm not in a hurry to carry. I find it ironic that the places with permitless carry are also the places where you hardly need to :p (I know. It's neither ironic nor coincidental. But not going political here.)

Getting back to the subject of the post, I did clean my two carry guns today. My Kahr CW9 had quite an abundance of "pocket lint" in it. It was kind of disgusting, actually. Shame on me. The 686+ had lint in the barrel and charge holes, but that was it, of course. That one only took about 3 minutes to get spruced up and ready to go.

Now that I'm in Idaho, I can carry whatever I want. Whatever I carry, I promise I will make sure it's clean before I do so. I cleaned six guns today. More are forthcoming. They were being stored for me in my son-in-law's safe for the last year, while going through the move. It's so nice to be in Idaho. Sorry, I digressed - again.
The "constitutional" carry really removes the stress about carrying a firearm. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, SD, (States I frequent) are just very relaxed about firearms.
But, a fellow still needs to maintain their carry weapon. :) I live close to a public range, so I put a few magazines through my carry pistols each month. And that causes me to do a boresnake, wipe-down and lube.

I recently serviced a Glock19 that hadn't been cleaned in 15 years, but shot occasionally and carried on the hip or pack all over. It is a Gen2, so no rust, but the firing pin channel was full of sand and crud to the point that the owner was getting occasional light strikes. Pistol was bone dry - no lube, squeaked when racking the slide, but ran. I pulled the firing pin, cleaned the channel, cleaned the crud around disconnector, cleaned the extractor, very lightly lubed the rails, and returned it - thinking I'll see it again in 10 years.

dgludwig

The "constitutional" carry really removes the stress about carrying a firearm. Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, SD, (States I frequent) are just very relaxed about firearms.

Fortunately, just about half the states in the Union are now "Constitutional Carry" states. Oddly, the last I heard, Florida hasn't got on board (yet).