How much scope is too much?

tangolima

Squirrel at 400yd, prairie dog or coyote at 600yd. Assuming not insisting on head shot, the target size is about 1moa worst case. Sounds like 10x should be plenty enough.

Agree with the comments "long range hunting". I highly doubt a real hunter would do such things. Say no more.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stagpanther

It's the quality of glass lens that's most important to me--followed by precision of tracking. I don't sweat over x numbers.:)

25-06 is pretty darn flat shooting 250 yds on in, probably most if not all within point blank range. A quality fixed magnification lightweight scope might be a good choice if that's what your intended primary use might be. Another great hunting scope I've used (but don't own) is the Trijicon accupoint--great clarity in low light, available with battery-free perpetually on (but you can dial it down so there is no illumination at all if you wish) and adjustable red-dot.

Last edited:

marlinguy

I've almost always liked variable scopes just for this reason; I can crank them up or down depending on how far most shots will be. I'd much rather have more magnification than I needed, and keep the scope turned down, than see game I could take at longer distance, but not have enough scope to feel comfortable aiming at them.
I've got some 3x-12x, 4x-16x, and some 4x-24x scopes, and a couple 3x-9x scopes. I much prefer the higher power variables for my needs.

Shadow9mm

I was always a big fan of the 4-12 over the 3-9. I have a 4-14 on my 30-06, and just picked up a 6-24 for my 6mm arc, which is hopefully going to be a good long range target build. its the most powerful scope I have ever had a chance to use. Seeing as I hope to shoot it out to 1000 I dont think it will be too much, but only time will tell.

tangolima

I don't know. Torso size target at 1k yd is about 1.5moa. It becomes 15moa with 10x magnification. It is mighty good enough for me. I routinely shoot 2moa with iron sight. I actually can do 4x if I don't hold over with reticle. Cranking up to 10x - 12x is to see the ticks on the reticle.

Shooting tiny group at 1k yd? I can't and higher magnification will make it even more difficult.

Scope is a gun sight, not a camera to take pretty pictures with. Seeing the acnes on target's face is unnecessary.

-TL

deadcoyote

It’s funny you bring this up. I agree with folks above depends on glass quality. I have a good 1-6x scope on my deer rifle, my friend has a 5-20.5x. He would make me glass deer to determine if they were legal to harvest or not. He’s 10 years younger than me so I thought he had bad vision but I finally looked through his scope and that thing is trash.

stuckinthe60s

when no matter what you do, and no matter how tight a weld you have, or how controlled your breath is, the hairs bounce around worse than iron sites...................

Blue Duck

It depends on how and where you hunt. If you are on stand, watching a field, etc. then a big scope is pretty handy, but I would still want to be able to crank it down to 3 or 4 power on the low end. A scope that can give you a few more minutes of daylight to see and shoot is nice.

If I am walking a fair ways, especially woodlands, then I want a light fast handling rifle with a low powered varible like a 2 x 7 power, kept on 2 for a fast shot. If you need to crank up to higher powers then you probably have time, but you don't have time to crank it down on a quick fleeting opportunity.

Red Devil

The rifle (25-06) I have on lay-away comes with a 6x18x44 Vortex Crossfire 2 BDC Dead Hold scope, much larger than I would have chosen. It seems to be a good scope and I like the reticle, so I'm going to keep it and keep the power cranked low. I live in western Pa. so I won't be shooting over 250 yards. Anyone use a scope this larger than they need? I suppose it's better to have more than enough than not enough...

Disagree.

Just Enough - is optimal for hunting.

Lower power optics increase field of view, and bring the kinematics of aiming closer to the Natural 1:1 ratio, so there is less crosshair "dance."

Running game is also easier.

One does not need to see the precision, just to be able to aim accurately and hit with precision.

1x/100 yards works fine in the field, and you will shoot better and quicker.

So, 2.5x is a good field magnification out to 250 yards.

Red

tangolima

To be fair, it depends on the size of the target I try to hit. For me it is 1moa minimum, ideally 4.

Say a soda can at 300yd is about 1moa. 4x brings it to 4moa. Mighty good enough for target identification and sight placement. I don't need to read the brand to hit it.

-TL