How much magnification for precision shooting?

taylorce1

Shadow9mm said:
I was considering the fixed power SWFA 20x42

I don't think you would like it, I've looked through most of the SWFA SS fixed power scopes. The 6X and 10X fixed power are by far the best, and the 12X is serviable but not as bright as the lower powers. However, the 16X was extremely dark and the FOV was horrible. I haven't looked through a 20X but I can't imagine it being any better.

The 42mm objective just too restrictive for more magnification than the 12X. I only own a couple of the 6X now and they're on rimfire rifles. I'd not hesitate to use the 10X again.

reynolds357

So I test most of my reloads at 100yds, as its the closest range I have. in the past I have generally had 12 to 14 power scopes which seemed to do well for the work in general.

On my last outing I was shooting my 223 AR with a 2-7x33 scope on it. I had a poor choice of targets 1in black squares that were intended for use at 25yds. the reticle in the scope was thick enough to completely cover the squares at that distance.

I plan to make some better targets for use next time.

I am also considering getting a dedicated scope to keep around for testing so I can just swap between guns as needed. but I am unsure of how much magnification I will really want or need. Also I am 36 and my eyes are still good, but I am always trying to future proof. so I am thinking a good piece of glass will las a life time, and I want the proper power so I can still use it as I get older and my eyes start not being what they used to.

Size and weight are not huge concerns as this will only be used for load development or target practice, not carried around. Generally shooting at 100yds, occasionally out to 500yds. all recreational.

How much magnification do I need, or should I get?
As much as you can use without getting mirage screwed.

zeke

Have several SWFA single power 10x, 12x. For their purchase purposes, their main advantages are price and repeatable elevation/windage adjustment. Big plus if you are using the knobs for elevation /windage changes. Their glass is usable in good light for a budget, which is what i was on. Unless you are shooting little things off a dead solid rest, would not want to invest in a single 20 power. A 20X significantly increases the "wobble" factor, and the need for maintaining eye/scope reticle alignment.

While they are older models now, went to the Viper pst 6x24 and 3x15 powers. Better glass, solid/repeatable elevation/windage adjustments. They were at my upper limit for affordability, but worth it for my purposes. Mostly they are used at 12x.

Scorch

Don't know how much I can add to what's already been said, but here's my insight from a few years of playing the game. Buy the best glass you can afford to do precision shooting. Not the most magnification, not the biggest lense, but the clearest with the least color aberration and the thinnest crosshairs.

Years ago I used to do a lot of varmint shooting. A lot. I started out with a Weaver K6. Clear enough and thin crosshairs. Then I looked through a friend's T-10 and realized how bad my scope was. So I bought a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20. WOW! It was super clear! But it had too much magnification for what I was trying to do, so I backed off to a 4.5-14.

I knew an old guy who shot bench rest, and he shot a 36X Unertl scope. In benchrest where your targets aren't scampering all over the hillsides, more magnification works, but not so much for a varmint rifle. So figure out what you need. I keep a Zeiss scope in my shop for testing rifles I build, and it's a nice old 6-18 and very clear.

The other thing you need to figure out is what you really mean by "precision shooting". Some people mean shooting unknown distance out to 1,200 meters, others mean shooting their deer rifle for groups at 100 yards. A deer rifle at 100 yds is not precision shooting, just FYI. Typically neither the scopes nor the rifles approach presision shooting.

So if you just want a nice scope for your "really accurate" deer rifle, lots of scopes can fill that bill. If you want to scope your $10,000 custom benchrest or tactical rifle, you can easily spend $4,000 by going after a US Optics or Nightforce scope. Figure out what the purpose is, then figure out how much it makes sense to spend.

Jim Watson

So I bought a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20. WOW! It was super clear! But it had too much magnification for what I was trying to do, so I backed off to a 4.5-14.

You couldn't just dial down the 6.5-20? You wanted less than 6X?

I bought a 32X for BR50 and found it too high, even off a bench; should have been a 24.
I always used a 8.5-25 for F class, gradually worked up from 16 to about 22X as I got familiar with it.

stagpanther

It's interesting to see what is referred to as "too high magnification"--other mechanical and optical functions might be degraded that are not necessarily an absolute function of the degree of magnification--meaning the same magnification can look very different across a wide range of scopes.

Drm50

I’ve got a Redfield 16x with fine reticle that I use to check out rifles and loads. I would say use the biggest one you have for testing. I just use 16x to see what rifle will do. I even use it on lever actions that will have receiver sight on it if it makes the grade.

Shadow9mm

Thats kind of what i was thinking. Just to test things out and see what they can do. Kinda considering either the primary arms 4-14×44 or the swfa 12×42. Thinking about it 12-14x at 100yds, where i do most of my testing those power ranges have worked well for me in the past.

Last edited:
Have three flat shooters here. 270 win 25-06 & a retired 243. All have Vari X 3 Leupold's. All my center fire rifles have been tuned (Bedded trigger work ) I shoot those distances I'm comfortable with. Club range bench-resting for accuracy & practice. Never beyond 250. I am a home reloader been a re-loader for a few years so I have developed custom ammo for each of the rifles (above) Having a good scope is important so is custom made ammo for the rifle. It's a win/ win when having both in the field or at the Range.

stagpanther

or the swfa 12×42
I have several swfa fixed scopes--they are great for the money, but have their limitations as well. their glass tends to distort at the edges, no big deal for me. One of their biggest advantages is their extra-sharp fine reticle, the little diamonds in particular I find very useful for getting focus/parralax adjusted at long distance. They are built to take punishment--in other words quite heavy. They were unavailabe for a long time--glad to see they are back in stock.

jmr40

Scope quality and a fine reticle are much more important than magnification. Once you get above 10X magnification you start to experience some negatives. Especially with low to mid-level scopes. If you're going to use something with 12X or more magnification you need to bump up quality.

I have a couple of the SWFA fixed 6X scopes. I've shot 4" groups with that scope at 600 yards. I have one mounted on a 22 that I shoot out to 250 yards with.

Most hunting scopes have thicker reticles that are easier to pick up quickly. Especially in low light. But it does make it harder to shoot small groups since they often cover so much of the target.

darkgael

Prone smallbore “any sight” matches (160 shots 50 yds., 50 m, 100 yds) frequently employ fixed scopes at 24X to as much as 36X. Winning scores are often perfect with the win taken on Xs.