How much is too much for Hodgon HP-38?

mboylan

You can store up to 20 pounds of powder without a powder magazine. If you do decide to store more than 20 pounds in your house without a magazine, it will void your homeowners insurance if there is a fire.

Waldog

Here in thE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF KOMMIEFORNIA, Last week I paid $30.99 @ pound for HP-38:mad: It's the first HP-38 I have seen in nearly 2 years. LGS said that powder had been on back order for over 12 months. When they got their shipment, it was TWO pounds of HP-38.:confused:

skizzums

I pay as high as 28$ these days. I guess I would pay even more if I had to since it goes such a long way in 38 and 9mm. It's the rifle powders I have issue with paying that much for since it pretty much takes all the savings out of reloading.

Navistar

I keep looking all over the interwebs at the stores you guys suggest and its hard to find these prices you guys speak of. To even break even with Cabelas I have to buy 8lb jugs and to see a savings after high shipping and hazmat, you need to buy 16lbs. I am willing to do so if anything ever stays online long enough to purchase.

Long story short, I bought HP-38 at Cabelas today for $22.99/lb. They also had a shelf full of Win231 for 25.99 but all of you say they are very similar in metering so i went with cheapest.

hanno

Navistar, you did okay.

Long story short, I bought HP-38 at Cabelas today for $22.99/lb. They also had a shelf full of Win231 for 25.99 but all of you say they are very similar in metering so i went with cheapest.

They aren't very similar in metering, they are identical. Win 231 and HP-38 are the exact same powder and always have been. You would have gotten the "Winchester" name on the bottle for the extra $3, nothing more.

WVsig

I would have bought local at that price!

Everytime it comes into stock it goes out within 24-48 hours. People are still buying scared.

Nick_C_S

They aren't "very similar in metering," they are identical. Win 231 and HP-38 are the exact same powder and always have been. You would have gotten the "Winchester" name on the bottle for the extra $3, nothing more.

'xactly.

Right down to the lot number, in some cases.