How much .357 do you shoot through your .357?

Bill56

I probably shoot about 2/3 .38 spl. and 1/3 .357 mag in my 4" Model 28. I'm looking for a Model 10 or 15 right now so that ratio may change. The .38's are like powder-puffs in the N frame. For that matter, it eats up the .357 rounds too.

CajunBass

Yea, yea . . . I know about the "little rings" . . . that's why I clean 'em when I'm done shooting.

This is something I wonder about too. How much shooting do you need to do before you see a problem? I don't shoot a lot of 357 ammo, and I make a minimum effort to clean my guns, but when I do load 357's, they drop right in.

Seriously, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it.

Crankgrinder

At risk of this thread being moved from revolvers to the reloading forum;How much shooting does one have to do to get carbon rings from 38s that are so hard to get out? because i shoot on average 3 or 4 boxes (150-200 rds) and never have needed a drill or anything besides a bronze brush and a few patches and have yet to experience a problem shooting 357s immediately following the 38s. Could it perhaps be the powder? I use unique for 38s.

Cosmodragoon

I've been wondering about the rings both in .357 and .327 magnum revolvers. In either, there may be times where someone wants to shoot .38 or .32. If they are anything like me, they don't go out to the range to shoot 6 rounds. I usually blast a few boxes. So, am I really going to crush performance or cause malfunctions by doing that? Will it really but so arduous to remove the rings?

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
At risk of this thread being moved from revolvers to the reloading forum;How much shooting does one have to do to get carbon rings from 38s that are so hard to get out? because i shoot on average 3 or 4 boxes (150-200 rds) and never have needed a drill or anything besides a bronze brush and a few patches and have yet to experience a problem shooting 357s immediately following the 38s. Could it perhaps be the powder? I use unique for 38s.
I;m thinking I had about 600 rounds of 38 spcl through my gun when I tried to shoot .357 mags and discovered the carbon ring problem. Fixed it with the drill and brass brush combo and now I just do it because its quick and easy to clean my cylinders on all my revolvers that way. Easier for a guy with shoulder problems and arthritis to hit the trigger on his drill then to run the bore brush back and forth with a cleaning rod. I clean more often now so it isn't really a problem.

bamacisa

I reload and mostly shoot steel plates with my 357's. The range is not too keen on shooting the steel plates with 357 rounds, so I usually just shoot 38's. I am retired and I go to the range at least one time every week.

Dave T

Since I discovered the old 38/44 loadings of the 38 Special case, the grandfather of the 357 Magnum, I don't shoot Specials or Magnums in my revolvers so chambered. The 38/44 delivers 1100-1150 fps with a 158g bullet from 3" to 4" barrels and that's all I load and shoot. For a factory version of this try Buffalo Bore's Heavy +P 158g SWCHP-GC.

Dave

BigJimP

I have about a dozen .357 mag ( S&W revolvers ) and one single action ( Freedom Arms) in .357 mag....

I reload ...and I use a 158gr JSP Montana Gold bullet...in either .38 spl or .357 mag....

99% of the time, I shoot .357 Mag myself....in K, L , N frame S&W's or the Freedom Arms..../ I load them up toward upper end - but not at full power. Its the load I like to shoot.

I keep about 10 boxes of .38 spl around - mostly for the grandkids to shoot...