How many wear Safety Glasses

TreyNC

I am new to reloading, so maybe overly cautious, but I wear them durring the whole process. Find a comforatble pair, Lowe's, Home Depot have crap, go to a welding supply store, they usually have a nicer selection.

Trying to wear them while shootng also. I don't want my son to ever get injured because of something so stupid as me not teaching him proper safety.

cheygriz

I would not even consider reloading without OSHA approved Industrial Grade safety glasses. I can't replace my eyes.

Edward429451

go to a welding supply store,

Ditto. In fact, almost any trade supply store nowadays carries osha approved safety glasses. This is where the good selections are. Dark sunglasses type or clear or amber...whatever you want. I'm using wolverines now but have clear ones also for handling primers.

Crazy4nitro

I always wear them. I sometimes forget and go upstairs with them on.
I dont worry about live primers as I will step outside and Chamber the empty round and make the Primer alot safer to remove. I dont even consider it wasting the primer as it closes the case to blowing it while removing it.

Crazy4nitro

jamaica

My prescription glasses are OSHA approved safety glasses. I wear them all the time. It was a job requirement. I put the side-shields on when doing risky things.

I have been reloading for many years, and I have never had a primer pop off while reloading. That doesn't mean it can't happen. Better safe than sorry.

I have had primers go in sideways, and upside down and at times refuse to go in. In this case I de-cap the same way I always de-cap the casings, with the de-cappping die, but slowly and carefully.

I guess you could put some oil on them and let them sit a while before punching them out. It has been said that oil will prevent them from going off. I have never put that to the test. What about water? Any one know?
I have no interest in saving the primer, but it is OK to salvage the brass if it can be done safely. If not, toss the whole thing. Its not worth the risk.

Another thing I reccomend is always keeping the lid on the powder measure and the powder can unless filling. Powder sitting around in open containers makes me nervous.

SIGSHR

I wear them, I should have gotten bifocals at my last eye exam, but I am too stubborn (and cheap), so I take my prescription glasses off for close work and wear safety glasses when I reload.

Daily Fred

always always always

Only one good eye here as well. I wear glasses whenever reloading or using any power tools for that matter.

My dad taught metal shop in an earlier life, and one of his eyes was saved by BCGs from nut or bolt that somehow flew from across the room. He showed me the glasses with the shattered lens when I was little. The image has really stuck with me.

BigJimP

Yes, I wear a safety shield, since I wear bifoculs too, putting safety glasses on over my street glasses is a hassle. Face shields are light - easy on and off - no big deal. Face shield is in my shop - by my lathe anyway. I have perscription shooting glasses - and I prefer not to wear them because they don't have the progressive lenses.

I wear the face shield all the time - on a progressive press - every stroke feeds a primer into the shell. You need to be especially careful if you're using any Federal primers, they are softer, and if you force them they may detonate and it may cause other primers in close vicinity to detonate. I don't use Federal primers for this reason - CCI, Win and Remington are usually recommended vs Federal but Federal can be used safely, just don't get heavy handed. But wear safety gear.