How many wear Safety Glasses

rwilson452

I just wear my regular glasses but they are polycarbonate lenses. If I have a need to pry out a live primer then I go to full safety gear. Gloves, Eyes, Ears, and a heavy apron.

ShootingNut

If I have a need to pry out a live primer

Whoaa, is it worth it? I'm new to reloading, never had a primer blow off, tell me what it's like.

K96771

Always when dealing with primers or powder. I only have one good eye and none to spare. I'd rather chuck the case then mess with a live primer. Why risk it to save a dime?

rickh

"If I have a need to pry out a live primer then I go to full safety gear. Gloves, Eyes, Ears, and a heavy apron."

Add a LONG pole attached to the press handle to that list! :D
I find newly seated primers come out pretty easy, do not want to go for a full resize, you can feel the decap pin touch the primer and a little pressure applied they come right out. Now if I used a sealer, probably would just toss the case.
I do wear rated prescip glasses.
Rick H...

hodaka

What's it like to blow a primer?

I started reloading with one of the little Lee kits with which you use a hammer to pound out the primer, neck size the brass then seat a primer with a tap. I forget what they are called. I had a couple small pistol primers pop and it was about like having a firecracker go off at the same distance. I was amazed at how loud it was. It did not make my wife very happy either.

I wear safety glasses when handling primers but not in any other reloading step.

Striker1

Might feel a lot clumsier being blind. I wear the glasses. That goes for shooting too.

I once had an M60 MG cook-off while trying to clear a stoppage. Safety glasses saved my behind, nomex gloves and l;ong sleeves limited my inmjury to just a small powder burn on my forearm where the powder blew up my sleeve.

Dave Haven

I wear prescription safety glasses when reloading. After working 27+ years as a machinist, I feel naked without 'em.

You can walk with a wooden leg, and you can eat with false teeth, but you CAN'T SEE with a glass eye!

Just because something bad hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it can't or won't. <organic fertilizer> happens.

ShootingNut

Prescription Safety Glasses

Anyone know (and use) of a good online source, that has reading only prescription poly safety glasses, light Rx only 1.50 or so?

rickdavis81

I have to wear them at work and I wear them in my shop a lot so it feels weird not to wear them while reloading. After awhile you forget that they are there. The cheap ones are uncomfortable but the ones I get from work are comfy and close fitting so they can be smaller.

WCW

Always

I always wear safety glasses while reloading. I have a pair of bifocal ones that keep everything nice and sharp, as well as protected. I've never needed them, and i want to keep it that way too!!