TimW77

Too many guns

"We all own too many guns."

NO, we do NOT...

"I think i'd be happier if I just owned one."

Simple solution for you, so make yourself happy and sell all but one!:rolleyes:

T.

Picher

I only had one gun after I bought my first. I was very happy then, but I'm even happier with more guns.

NG + 1G= :) (Where N=0, G=# guns)

:) + 1G= :) :)............... (Get it?)

jglsprings

We all own too many guns. I think i'd be happier if I just owned one.

Please don't toss around vague generalizations that are unsubstantiated and inaccurate.

Or if I have to make it clearer - speak for yourself.

tahunua001

I hit that number at about 20, but more from budgetary constraints than anything else... to buy more I would require more dollars at my disposal and more safes to store them in. I've started to set a goal that I sell at least one before I buy another.

TimW77

"I hit that number at about 20..."

With 4 children who like to shoot, I "need" more than 20...

With just 20, I would not have even one to "call my own"...

"...I hit that number at about 20, but more from budgetary constraints than anything else..."

Actually, my biggest concern/constraint is not having the time to shoot everything (or take the kids to shoot)...

T.

Last edited:

Picher

I'm not as concerned with the number of guns as the number of chamberings. It doesn't cost as much to stick with cartridges that I have "fixin's" for; dies, cases, bullet molds, and/or supplies.

Unless a certain cartridge has some unique qualities that are needed, I tend to stick with the known qualities/quantities. So, I have two: .270 Win, .243 Win, .223 Rem, .45 ACP, 20 Gauge. Then, there are 3, .38/.357s, and lots of .22 LRs...both rifles and handguns.

Each firearm has it's own qualities that makes it better for a certain use, like walkabouts vs. range use, but there's also enough flexibility to do either.

Geezerbiker

Only the lack of gun money stops me from buying the next one. The economy sucks right now so I'm lucky to have money for reloading supplies when I can find them...

Tony

I built a walk in gun safe room, & display on the walls... I just bought a CZ 527 in 7.62 X 39, & have room for a 44 Mag lever action... then I'm done with rifles... no more room... after that, I'll need to sell one to have room to buy another :eek:

revolvers... I have 2 spots left... one for a 22 Mag snubbie, & one for a 480 Ruger Alaskan

semi autos... room for 1 more... a CZ in 40 S&W

after that... I may have to take up a new hobby... or add on to the gun safe room ( & that was a huge expense ) so upgrading or replacing will be my only real options... besides... MRS now gives me grief on how many we have, now that she can walk in & see them... no more hiding that new gun in the back of the safe long enough that when she sees it for the 1st time I could say "honey we've had that one for a long time" :rolleyes:

Sporting bolt action ( non Czech gun ) section... no room for more, after I recently aquired a Ruger 308 scout rifle I customized... short actions on the left, from 17 Fireball to 308... long actions on the right from 25-06 to 375 H&H

attachment.php

Attachments

• sporting bolt actions complete.jpg
    sporting bolt actions complete.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:

TimW77

"MRS now gives me grief on how many we have, now that she can walk in & see them... no more hiding that new gun in the back of the safe long enough that when she sees it for the 1st time I could say "honey we've had that one for a long time""

Looks like you have plenty of room for MANY more guns, just need to arrange them differently...

The solution with the MRS is simple...

Put safes in your gun room...:D

Out of sight, out of mind...

Just do not let her have keys to your safes...

T.

For me, it's looking like it's going to settle into to a total of about 25-28 counting all firearms, airguns, and muzzleloaders, as the optimum balance going forward between actually shooting and enjoying them vs. enough diversity to keep it interesting (& yes, brag a bit).

Sure I've got a list of 40+ others I wouldn't mind playing with, and years ago I had a lot more, but collecting isn't my thing quite as much as shooting & hunting is (though, yes, there is some satisfaction from the collecting part of it). I may decide to pare down to a slightly smaller cabal, in the 22-25 range. If I stopped hunting completely, I would likely be happy with more like 12-14, or maybe even less.

The most dramatic shift for me in the last 15 years was the reduction of handguns....down to just 3 (though there are 2-3 more I want). Handguns just aren't as interesting - they're 80% tool and 20% art & aesthetics. Rifles & shotguns are more like 20% tool and 80% art & aesthetics.

Also reduced the muzzleloaders from 3 to 1, and reduced bows & crossbows from 6 to 3. Simplifying is good.

Another big shift was I stopped collecting milsurp rifles - love them, but more into the "every gun has a specific niche/purpose" theme now.

Another big shift was deciding that just one semi-auto fighting / militia rifle is plenty enough. The focus now is my beloved hunting, varmint, and multi-purpose (scout) turnbolts. That's what blows my skirt - uhhh, I mean kilt - up these days. Ammo cost is a lot less than spraying and praying with a semi-auto.

Last edited:

Herluf

Some of you folks are quite lucky. The Mrs. is not a fan of my acquisition of firearms, but I'm like them and am determined to keep most family guns in the family. So when the Grandpa's passed on or when my stepdad makes noise about getting rid of one gun or another from the safe, I'll keep receiving or buying them. I'm currently up to:

-2 shotguns
-3 pistols
-4 rifles

All but 2 of these came from deceased or almost-elderly family members.

As a city boy with limited opportunity to get to the range, I know I've got more than enough, but I know if I let them out of the family, I will later regret not being able to share these with my kids.