How many shoot with a sling?

Do you use your sling as a shooting aid?

• Always

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Never

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Usually

Votes: 41 47.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 20 23.0%

• Total voters

Scribe

I have a Ching Sling on my Scout which works very well on prone, I don't use it off hand. It's as good as, and lighter than, a bipod but not for prolonged periods. If, when, I get a dedicated long rang precision piece, I'll bipod it.

youp

When I am hunting I almost never use a sling. It is in my pocket. To use after I kill a critter and need two hands to get it out of the woods. I walk about a good deal and shoot game as I find it. I have never had anyone show me how to use a sling that takes less time and motion to shoulder a rifle than one carried in my hands.

If I am in some steeper than a cows face hills or mountains I will use a sling. Mostly because I need two hands to hang on.

sparkysteve

I usually sit while hunting, but have shot deer with help from a sling. Usually I just use it for carrying my rifle. My hands are usually full going in or out of the woods. When walking, I carry my rifle on a sling, pointed down, on the backside of my right shoulder. (I shoot lefty) That way all I have to do to pull it up is reach down and grab the forearm with my off hand, lift it up, let the sling slide off my shoulder, swing the butt up to my shoulder, wrap my off hand around the sling, aim and shoot. It takes a litte practice but you can get pretty good at it. A little trick my dad showed me.

hippo

I shoot offhand and with a sling more often than I would like to and more successfuly than in any other position. As a pasionate woodchuck hunter I am constantly looking for the longest most dificault shots where I can take my time. But I am constantly in situations in which I am shooting at hogs I jump or see at a mid-range while walking and the only way to get a shot is offhand. Consquntly - I walk around rerady to jump into the sling and rock and roll. No brag -- I have always been a better shot off hand than in any other position. Maybe because shooting off hand disconnects my brian from all the distractions - except for safety - and instinct + sight picture + trigger control take over.

texfar

Generally use one when shooting from most positions, but depends on situation. Can say that I use one most of the time. Most of my rifles have a military sling on them which is very stable.

LoadIt

I killed my first deer standing up while using a sling. Well, the deer dropped but I remained standing.;)