How many shoot with a sling?

Do you use your sling as a shooting aid?

• Always

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Never

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Usually

Votes: 41 47.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 20 23.0%

• Total voters

Lavan

Not for lugging the log around on yer shoulder, but actually SHOOTING with a sling. You know, under elbow, over wrist, standin up.

??????

Scorch

I have shot with a sling ever since I learned how in USMC boot camp. 31 years later, I'm still doing it.

Anthony Terry

i marked always, but now that i think about it, i only use it on standing and nealing shots. when i can get a shot on my bipods i dont need it. it will give you extra stability when shooting standing.

swampdog

I use a sling in sitting, kneeling, prone, and any other position in which I can support my elbow. I don't find a sling really improves my accuracy standing, although it does help in keeping your muzzle down and on target for repeat shots. I usually sling my rifle muzzle down on my offside shoulder. When I mount it to fire, I naturally twist it into a "hasty" sling.

FRANK1669

When target shooting from standing always sometimes while hunting I dont have that much time to hook the sling but I use it when I can

Mannlicher

Its a rare thing for me to take a shot using the sling. As far as I am concerned, slings are for carrying, not shooting.

Yes

I use a shooting sling.
Not from standing.
Not just a carry strap wrapped around my arm.

MTMilitiaman

On my hunting rifle, whenever I get the chance. I don't have a sling or even a carry strap on my AK. I have a carry strap on my SKS but couldn't really sling up with it.

I read "Art of the Rifle" by Col. Cooper and put a 1907 military style sling on my hunting rifle. When I crest a hill I'll put my arm through the loop so I can be slung up faster if I saw something. And if I saw something far enough away to not be running and had time to get into a stable position, I would certainly make sure I was slung up good and tight before making a shot. But for most quick, offhand shots in timber, I would not have the time to use a sling, nor would it be much of an advantage.

I don't carry a bipod on my hunting rifle because although it is only pound, it is out far enough that it always seemed to upset the balance. Plus it has sharp metal corners. I am 6'5" and like to have my hand out farther than most on the forend. The first time you have a knuckle busted off by your bipod, you quickly find yourself reconsidering its advantages v. its risks. If I had a designated long range rifle that was always shot prone, yes, I would have my bipod on it. But for the country I hunt in, though the possibility for a long range shot certainly exists, most shots are taken offhand within 100 yards, and for the vast majority of the others, sitting slung up over a stump, rock, or fallen tree would be amply stable.

skeeter1

Sling shooting, yes

My dad taught me how to use a "hasty sling" back in the 50's. I consider it an essential part of my kit. Do a Google search and you'll find a bunch of hits on how to use it. I don't use it for hitting tin cans out at the farm, but for serious shooting/hunting, it's a big help.

Tim R

"It depends" would have been a good choice as well. I put always as I compete in High Power. Pretty hard to make good sitting and prone shots without the sling.

This week end I shot my best 300 yard rapids so far with a 196 out of a possible 200 points.

tINY

When I have a sling and an instant to get set - almost always.

If shooting over a good, soft rest, occasionally I will use the support hand under the butt if I can.

-tINY

Picher

I shoot a lot offhand, but don't usually use a carrying strap as an aid to shooting. I've shot deer and woodchucks out beyond 200 yards offhand without slings.

That said, I have used slings from a sitting position more often than from any other. Some days a person is steadier than others. It's good to have one around if you feel it works better for a particular shot/position.

I use a very light 1" nylon strap on my deer rifle, so it doesn't "wag" the rifle when trying to shoot offhand without it being around my elbow. Often, speed and/or lack of movement are important when walking along in deer or varmint country. Getting a sling in position can sometimes hinder a shot.

My buddy, who used to be a rimfire target shooter, uses a sling more than me, but he also has missed opportunities at critters because he's so deliberate (read "slow") in getting a shot off. I can usually get a shot off within 4 seconds at a deer-sized animal at under 150 yards.

I've probably fired a million rounds offhand, starting with BB guns when 8 years old and I'm over 60, so my results may not be typical of most hunters/shooters.

Picher

Last edited:

rezmedic54

Using a Sling

I picked up David Tubbs shooting Vest and really like it. I use it in all positions it seems to make following your target easier when prone and really makes for a stable platform when standing or sitting.

skeeter1

I think a sling helps make the rifle complete, depending on the type and vintage.

My Marlin leverguns just wouldn't seem "right" without a nice leather sling.

Attachments

• marlin 003.JPG
    marlin 003.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 28

Olaf

I answered "usually" on the poll. I always use a sling as a shooting aid if shooting from a standing/ off-hand position....or sitting/ off-hand. I do not use a sling if shooting from a rest....regardless of position. So, that is the governing factor - whether a good rest is available or can be improvised.