How many own trigger gauges?

rdtompki

My wife and I own 4 centerfire M&Ps between us, two 9mm (hers) and two 40 cal (his). My two 40s have somewhat different triggers; although both guns are recent vintage, one is a California gun, the other a free state gun. I've already put an Apex DCAEK kit in the CA 40 cal. and like the way the trigger came out although it's still very different from its "twin".

I've decided to order a digital trigger gauge. I've concluded that if you're going to make these sorts of mods you've got to have some way to measure the results beyond "feel". I'm wondering how many others making these sorts of mods came to the same conclusion.

rock185

I came to the same conclusion years ago. I retired my RCBS spring type gauge and have been using the Lyman digital type for several years now....

g.willikers

I have one, but rarely use it.
The weight of a trigger pull is only part of what makes a good trigger.
Mostly I just judge by the overall feel of it.
How smooth and consistent seems more important and noticeable than a few pounds on the scale.

I have two trigger scales, both analog. I simply don't trust digital. My primary is the tried-and-true RCBS spring scale, which measures to a maximum of eight pounds. That won't handle most revolvers in double action mode, so for those I found a company (Feather River, IIRC) that offers what appears to be the same scale as the RCBS, but going up to 25 pounds.

Locoweed

I used the RCBS spring scale for many years but then switched over to the Lyman digital and haven't looked back. I have several Anschutz target rifles with very light trigger pulls and the RCBS won't register with them.

10-96

I have and use the Lyman digital scale. I wish it had the finesse of the weight types, but I generally go with a 4 or 5 pull average. Unless you have the firearm secured in a padded vise or anchored down- it's difficult to get the same reading two pulls in a row.

Another down-side is they don't read over 12lbs. But on that note- if you show that to a customer, they generally feel pretty good about whatever readable pull you can come up with (S&W Bodyguard .380 comes to mind).

Pahoo

Don't buy cheap !!!!

I use a Wagner force dial gauge.
My primary gauge, is also a force dial with a .2 to 5.0-lb. range. I also have higher range spring gauges. I recently bought the low end RCBS spring gauge and sent it right back as it was really cheap. I've been looking at the Lyman digitals and compared my dial, to my buddy's Lyman and would have no issues with them. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

jglsprings

This gadget falls into the birthday / Christmas gift category.

I never felt the need to buy one for myself. But, when pressed by my wife for gift ideas that didn't cost as much as a new Browning Citori I asked for a digital trigger pull gage. After I got it, I found out it was nice to have around and I liked having one on the bench.

Go figure.

fastbolt

While I own a digital gauge, I only bought it to try for some occasional quick averages. I wondered if it would be handier and more accurate than some of the similarly priced inexpensive spring devices.

Good enough for providing some rough averages. Even though the guns are positioned in a vise, some varying readings can result, especially if the angle at which the gauge is pulled changes ever so slightly in a couple of planes.

When precision is required, such as when I was called in to inspect an issued 1911 that had been involved in an on-duty ND, I carefully use trigger weights in the traditional manner. Expensive, yes, but they were included in the S&W revolver armorer tool kit I received and they've been accepted as a "standard" for long time.

I don't get overly concerned about measuring trigger pull weights, aside from confirmation of whether a gun is within a stated factory spec (which can often have a +/- range of allowable trigger pull weight).

As someone else previously stated, there's a lot more involved in a "good trigger" than just the weight of the pull. As an instructor, it's often a better investment of time to "modify & improve" a particular shooter's technique & trigger control. ;)

Worc

I got a Lyman digital about five years ago. Every new gun I get, has it's trigger measured in the first or second day I get the gun. They are real nice for rifles with adjustable trigger pull weights.

The RCBS analog scale reads to a maximum of 8 pounds, the Lyman digital reads to 12 pounds. Many double action triggers exceed both. The Feather River scales are available in a 25-model. They look a lot like the RCBS analog scale -- not surprising, as I've been told that Feather River makes the RCBS scales.

http://www.featherriversports.com/triggerscale_025hr.htm

025hr_480_shdw.jpg

rclark

I do. Just a simple spring gauge. Basically use it just for my knowledge. Ie... So this is what 7# pull feels like, ugggh .... I like my all of my Single Actions to have around 1.5# to 2# on them (have been cycling my guns through a gunsmith). That way they all 'feel' the same across the board no matter which one I pick up and go shooting with. For me, trigger pull weight has a lot to do with pin point accuracy and well as minimal/no creep.... All of it (including the shooter) has to come together for a good shooting iron. Of course semi-auto shooters may have a different take on it when you have 17 rounds to feel for the target ;) hah....

PoiDog

I have one of the RCBS versions. It does what I want it to do, but I haven't had the occasion to go up over 8 lbs.

Not yet anyway.

If I do, I'll look into the Feather River version.

tipoc

I have a Lyman Digital. I use it occasionally. Best of 10 pulls. Useful for rifles and handguns.

It never occurred to me to use it on a double action revolver (other than in single action) or a pistol with da capability. In da, to me anyway, the smoothness is more important than the weight.

tipoc

VonFatman

Lyman digital. It's a luxury, not a necessity (unless you work on triggers for a living/hobby)

I bet if you threw out a 'want-to-buy' you'd get several PM's from folks who have one they rarely use.

Bob