How Many Magazines Per Pistol Do You Keep?

mountainclmbr

I was just wondering if I have too few. I have a minimum of three for pistols I don't shoot much and as many as 10 for pistols I shoot frequently. I am looking at the pistols that have a normal capacity greater than 10 rounds and thinking I may want to stock up before any silly bans get passed again.

D-Bak

I have 3 for my g22 and 5 for my g19. I do know that a lot of people would tell you that you do not have enough but in my opinion you are ok.

Redneckrepairs

I try and tun 5 spares which makes a total count of 6 per . I seldom load more than three ( one in the pistol and two reloads as per LE standard ) but like to have " spares " . My Kahrs and my P7 i am still buying mags as i can to come up to my self imposed standards . God forbid i should carry a gun that has cheap mags lol .

Lurch37

I'm kinda like you Mountain in that I like to have 2-3 for most things. For the stuff that gets shot a lot, I have several dozen, but then thats what happens when you like 1911's. :)

I guess I'm right in there with the rest of you guys... I have some newer guns, that I only ( currently ) have 2 magazines, but for most I have somewhere between 4 & 10...

( funny, because I was pulling all the AR rifle stuff together for one I'm getting ready to trade, & I found about a case of new in wrapper hi cap magazines that I had forgotten I'd bought... sucks getting old... but always better tohave too many, than not enough )

Magyar

Those that are readily available, at least 4...However, I learned a costly lesson about purchasing after-market mags for some lower caliber European imports, such as Mauser....They just don't function: period....:eek:

snail

G-22: 6 extra mags + 1 in the gun
G-19: 9 extra mags + 1 in the gun
G-17: 5 extra mags + 1 in the gun
G-36: 5 extra mags + 1 in the gun
Beretta 92: 3 (20rnd), 4 (15 rnd), 2 (10rnd), + 1 20 rnd in the gun.
And in addition to the extra magazines, I always have enough ammo to load the magazines just in case.:p This crap really starts to get expensive..........

Pilot

Most of my guns only have two or three mags. Pistols I use for running courses I have six mags only because that is what's required. When I carry, I only carry the mag that's in the pistol, so two or three mags per gun is fine.

Perldog007

B.A.M. {Bare @$$ Minimum) Three for any pistol. Four if carrying with one reload. Five for duty i.e. one mag in pistol and two on belt, two spares for rotation and back up.

10 is nice to have during quals, because you are standing there looking all cool while everybody else - what prolly don't shoot regular anywho - is fumblin and dropping rounds on deck, turning blue, etc - and you is still cool :D

When I gits into competition (code for getting spanked by old timers) next year, I want to have 12-15 for my competition gun.

For me three is the baseline for a range gun or nightstand queen.

BigJimP

I have 8 mags for every gun I own.

That gives me a lot of duplicates like in 9mm's for all my 1911's / quite a few in .45 ACP for a variety of 1911's as well - but I just figure the cost for 8 mags with every gun I buy ( and I usually buy mags from Wilson Combat whenever possible - regardless of the mfg of the gun ).

For my Sigs - I buy factory Sig mags in 9mm and .40

Manedwolf

For the ones that take hi-caps, the safe looks like a Mec-Gar distributor. :D

Never know when they'll do another ban.

skeeter1

I've got 5 7-round magazines for the Beretta 87 (.22) and 7 15-round magazines for the Beretta 92 (9mm). That sounds about right to me.

DMK

I only have a couple semi-auto handguns that I use for SD/HD, but I keep three mags loaded for each. Then I like to have three spares so I can rotate them. So that makes 6 mags for each gun. Some guns I have more.

Now for my 1911s, I have about 20 USGI range mags. That way I can go to the range with a bag of mags and I don't have to reload them there.

allenomics

I have two 17's for my G17 and four 10's for my Ruger .22.

As far as stocking up in advance of a ban, I think you don't need to dash out and stock up any time soon.