How many 9mm Lugers are there???

44 AMP

Staff
The question came up during a discussion with a friend the other night, and we quickly realized that this is a much more complex question than it seems.

What got us onto the topic was discussion about "proper" or "correct" cartridge names, and what most people think of when they hear the name. In the distant past, when one said ".45auto" or "9mm Luger" people though of a specific gun, the Colt 1911A1 or the German P08 "Luger".

But today, most people seem to think of the cartridge and not a specific gun. Or, at least people who know a bit about the subject do that.

and one instance of a "journalist" who didn't do that. There had been several shooting and the police said they were all done with the same gun, a 9mm Luger. Cops hadn't caught the guy, didn't have the gun, so I would assume they were going off fired cases...

Next thing you know there was an article about how someone was going around shooting people with an antique WWII German pistol! (9mm Luger)

Use about any search engine for 9mm Luger and very often the first thing that comes up is the P.08 Luger PISTOL. Pretty sure that's what the writer did, and decided that had to be what the cops meant when they said 9mm Luger.

9mm Luger IS a valid cartridge name in the US. Its the 9mm Parabellum or the 9x19mm in the rest of the world and it can be in the US too, but here, it's ALSO the 9mm Luger cartridge.

SO, how many 9mm Luger guns, by design are there? And where do we set our parameters for what should and should not be counted as one??

I think, to keep things simpler, we should consider all variants of the same basic design to be counted as one. No matter who makes it or made it. And I think variations of barrel length and grip frame should also be included in the "one design".

So, I would put all the P08 Lugers in one group, the P.38s in another, GLocks in another, etc. Some makers will have more than one such as Beretta, because they have made two distinctly different designs, (the 1934 and the 92) but I would count the Glock 19 and 17 models as one basic design.

Likewise, I would count the same basic design made by different manufacturers as one. Clones go in the basic design group. For example, an FN Hi Power and a Hungarian made clone are the same basic design

That's where I would set my parameters before trying to count how many "9mm Lugers" there are, but I'm asking here, to , "take the tenor of the clans" and see what you all think about what should and shouldn't be counted separately.

Once we establish that, THEN we'll start counting, and see what kind of results we get.

All responses are welcome, please state your reasons, I'm curious about what people think. And how many we eventually come up with.

Current or past production, if its available on the market (including collector pieces) I include it.
Thanks.

"What got us onto the topic was discussion about "proper" or "correct" cartridge names"

Excellent... I'm living rent free in your head... :D

TunnelRat

To be honest I don’t understand the driver for this question. Why is it worth knowing how many designs (as a pure count) use the 9mm Luger cartridge, other than as an intellectual exercise meant to illustrate one’s own knowledge of firearms production?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well, I'd have to say that just about every manufacturer that you can think of off the top of your head has made at least one handgun chambered for 9mm Parabellum (I am, and shall remain, unreconstructed!).

The only manufacturer that popped directly to mind who might not have made a 9mm Luger pistol is Webly.

And I discovered that I would be wrong about that.

Not common. In fact, quite rare with only a few thousand M1922s made.

Another manufacturer I thought about would be Harrington & Richardson. I don't think they ever made a 9mm pistol in their salad days...

Iver Johnson is another that never made a 9mm pistol in their original iteration (which ended when they company folded in 1993).

The newest iteration of IJ does, however, offer 9mms.

TunnelRat

I think, to keep things simpler, we should consider all variants of the same basic design to be counted as one. No matter who makes it or made it. And I think variations of barrel length and grip frame should also be included in the "one design".

So, I would put all the P08 Lugers in one group, the P.38s in another, GLocks in another, etc. Some makers will have more than one such as Beretta, because they have made two distinctly different designs, (the 1934 and the 92) but I would count the Glock 19 and 17 models as one basic design.

Likewise, I would count the same basic design made by different manufacturers as one. Clones go in the basic design group. For example, an FN Hi Power and a Hungarian made clone are the same basic design

This to me is where it gets difficult. What is or isn’t a clone? The current market is saturated with polymer-framed, striker-fired pistols using a Browning tilting barrel design and feeding from detachable magazines. Whether it’s a Glock, M&P, etc., the main differences to the shooter are the ergonomics, which by the first paragraph above (grip frame variations) would seem to indicate they be counted as one design. Internally the manner in which the striker is cocked and released (and to what extent) does differ between the designs, but that seems much less fundamental than the examples you gave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 AMP

Staff
Yes, its an intellectual exercise, not with the intent of illustrating anyone's individual knowledge, but with the intent of adding to both my personal knowledge and to the collective knowledge base via being discussed in this forum.

It began with a comment meant as hyperbole, about how many different 9mm Luger designs are out there, and that led to the question of how many there actually were. And that requires parameters of what should or should not be counted as essentially the same design, or not.

And this is what I'm asking, how would you classify things? All tilt barrel magazine fed in one group? Fixed barrel in another?? Blowback vs locked breech? Where would you set your limits. and why?

What is a clone? Or just a close copy? same group as original base design, or each one separately??

I gave what I thought would be a good place to start, and I'm looking for other opinions and if there will be any kind of consensus, or not.

My ideas of what ought to be counted as one design are not set in stone, I'm open to rational discussion about it.

Are similar or identical basic operating principles all to be lumped together, or should we go a bit beyond that, if so, how far?? If you go far enough to basics, you wind up with very few design groups. essentially, recoil operated, blowback, or gas operated. (and gas operated 9mm Luger designs are very rare,).

Or, you can take the viewpoint that the only actual 9mm Lugers are the 9mm Pistole Parabellums (the P.08 design) and the rest are 9mm Parabellums. Or some other viewpoint. Where do you think the classification lines belong, and why?

Jim Watson

The other way 'round, the number of different things the Internet Culture calls "1911" is amazing, just because they use the same lockwork in a multitude of different configurations.

105kw

Not just semi-autos, S&W made the Model 547 in 9mm, no moon clips required.
Ruger has chamber the 9mm in SP101, Blackhawks, and the Service 6.
Thompson Center made barrels for the Contender in 9mm too.
That's just what I came up with quickly.

stinkeypete

To me, 9mm Luger means the Georg Luger P08 style pistol with the toggle bolt lock thing on top.

My dad and I used to enjoy shooting whatever interesting guns he had come up with. One visit, he had two inexpensive P08s. Being winter, we went to my indoor range.

The first shot, the expelled brass ricocheted off the ceiling and hit my shoulder. About the 3rd shot, a hot piece of brass ricocheted off the ceiling and went down the front of my shirt. HOT!!! ow!

We laughed, but looking up we saw we could hit the fluorescent lights in some of the lanes. It was an interesting design, we had fun cleaning them and seeing how they worked, they were then sold for about $125 each, which is what my dad paid for them a few months earlier.

The old man died a few weeks ago. It was the end of the trail for him, dementia was a cruel way to go. It’s good to remember him before he faded.

To me, Luger means the classic angled grip and top ejecting pistol.

44 AMP

Staff
That is certainly a valid opinion. I define 9mm Luger more broadly, but that doesn't invalidate your opinion.

I happen to hold the opinion that the only "real" 1911s are those guns made by Colt for the US military before the adoption of the 1911A1 changes. I also allow those people who make the gun to name it and if they want to mark their gun "1911" that's fine, but its not the same as the GI guns.

Calling every 1911A1 pattern gun a 1911 is, to me, sloppy shorthand and not correct. I'm a bit odd about such things.

RickB

I'll contribute those that I've owned:
Lahti M40
S&W 539
Springfield Loaded 1911
SIG P938
So, more than four.

HisSoldier

I also allow those people who make the gun to name it and if they want to mark their gun "1911" that's fine,

It's hard to have an intelligent discussion about a pistol without the proper nomenclature, and I admit that when anyone asks me what my 80%'s are, or my SA 38 Super (Two of my many guns I call 1911's without thinking about it) I just say it's a 1911 clone IF I imagine the listener to be pedantic. You have to deal with people as if in their head when talking to them. Mostly I assume they mean generically, as in a "1911 type" or "Old slabside".
But I'm actually pedantic myself about some modern "guns". Different class entirely.

I'll contribute the 9mms that I've owned...

Radom Vis 35
Beretta 92
Kahr K9
Browning Hi Power
Walther CCP
HK P7PSP

I feel as if I'm missing 1 or 2.

44 AMP

Staff
Lahti M40
S&W 539
Springfield Loaded 1911
SIG P938

Radom Vis 35
Beretta 92
Kahr K9
Browning Hi Power
Walther CCP
HK P7PSP

OK, that's 10, so far. and adding ones I've owned (and not already listed)
P.08 Luger
Mauser Broomhandle
Walther p.38
Tec-9
Cobray M11/9
Calico
and while not a semi, Thompson Center Contender.

So, I make it 17 so far and we've just begun.

If it helps, when I said "design" and "type" think of them as one "family" or, an extended family. A Springfield 1911 was named, to me that covers all the 1911-pattern guns, all makes and models in 9mm Luger.

OK, now I'm going to add
STAR
LLAMA
ASTRA
and, of course,

GLOCKs

21 and counting....
what else have you got ??

RickB

CZ, two or five FNs, SIG hammer-fired models, Canik, H&Ks, Walther striker fired; Colt All-American, Pocket Nine; Detonics Pocket 9.

FITASC

S&W 547
S&W has a lot of 9mm models - M&P, Shield, etc
HK P7
Kahr CM9
Sig 365
Glocks 26, 19, 17
All I have owned at one time or another

44 AMP

Staff
sure, they count. 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum and 9x19mm / 9mm NATO are all just different names for the same cartridge.