how many .32?

JERRYS.

I am far from doing well enough to have play money and all that let alone guns that don't have a practical purpose... no range queens, no safe queens, no bbq guns, just carry guns. well, while fiddling in my safe I realized that over the years, and years... I have accumulated four .32s.

I have two Seecamp .32s, one is mine one is my wife's. one Walther PP .32 that was to be my daughter's but she preferred her LCR .22lr. One LCR .327 for my daughter since she prefers the LCR gun and now has something that can be loaded with more umph than a .22lr yet still has soft recoil. Lastly, one Kel-tec P32 that I happened across recently and decided to try again because of how light it is.

anyway, if I'm not careful I'll end up with more .32s than 9mms or something. Has anyone else of meager means found themselves acquiring a lot of one caliber than you hadn't planned on?

Last edited:

stinkeypete

I’m interested that you feel that a .32 for a carry gun is “practical”.

Bringing home fresh organic meat isn’t practical?
Meeting your pals at the range for Wednesday Night Bullseye league isn’t “practical”?
I agree that all my guns I shoot, but collecting and investing in firearms isn’t “practical”?
Supporting master gunsmiths isn’t “practical”?
Exploring the wide range of hobby interests in the shooting sports isn’t “practical”?

I’ve found shooting to be an affordable hobby. Buying good quality used guns has been- not profitable- but economical. After 10 years, I get back far more than I paid for them- which probably covers the costs of primers and bullets and gets me in to the next good quality used gun I am interested in.

Right now, it seems there are a lot of nice surplus .32s on the market. Tempting. There needs to be a new trend to sell pistols...

Kreyzhorse

I believe the OP was simply saying that all of his guns are users and doesn't have much interest or funds in guns that go beyond CCW. I don't think he was calling other guns unpractical, just unpractical for him.

To the original question, I find variety to be something that I enjoy, however, my collection has started to center around two cartridges, 45 ACP and .38.

I've always enjoyed shooting .45 and the 1911 in all formats is my favorite design. I've found they've started to multiply. .38, well, I can't say its my favorite but I enjoy revolvers and have started a moderate collection of snub nose .38s and just picked up a 3" .357 for back country.

Oddly - the one cartridge I don't own is a .32. Almost bought a Tomcat last weekend but passed to add another .38 (.357). I'll own one at some point though.

I know a .32 isn't an ideal SD round, but in my opinion, any gun is better than no gun and certainly not many people want to be shot.

bn12gg

.32's are nice shooting handguns. I own several oldies. They see their range time. Before antibiotics they were solid personal protection handguns.

Enjoy!

.02 David

smee78

A few years ago I found the joy of the 32's. I even carry one (NAA 32acp guardian) due to the small size. I really love the 32Long revolvers and would love to add a 327 LCRX to the collection.

Cheapshooter

Has anyone else of meager means found themselves acquiring a lot of one caliber than you hadn't planned on?
I don't really "plan" on calibers. Or for the most part particular guns much anymore.
Keeping with your post title of 32, my first was a Walther Manurhin PP. Next came a CZ50. Both from the "good old days" of C&R a few years ago. When C&R eligible guns were plentiful, cool, and affordably priced. My third 32 is a Kel-Tec P32. Just because I think they are cool!
But for my "one caliber I didn't plan on" it has to be 22 rimfire. Since I was 12 years old the only 22 pistol I have had was my grandfather's High Standard HD Military. A great piece. Classic looks, and accurate. But more recently I wanted something more modern. Enter a good sale price, gift cards, and BPS Club points. Voila, a Browning Buckmark Camper joins the family. Then, with the help of an outstanding sale price not seen since, a Taurus PT 22 Poly. Next, wanting a "cowboy gun" at an affordable price I found the Heritage Rough Rider with both 22LR and 22 WMR cylinders. Cruising the tables at a gun show, I found another "cheapy". An Iver Johnson TP22. With practicality out the window, I became quite fascinated by the NAA Mini revolver. Which led me to the miniest of the minis...A 22 short NAA Mini revolver. Then, with the knowledge of having a great experience with my first Rough Rider, I found a good deal on a short barreled version with a birdshead grip. The latest in the list of unplanned 22's was a Beretta Model 71. The price wasn't bad, the threaded barrel was in good shape after the fake suppressor was apparently carefully removed, and the history was intriguing. None are safe queens, none are status symbols, all get their share of range time, but onlyb the Buckmark was planned.

TruthTellers

I’m interested that you feel that a .32 for a carry gun is “practical”.

Bringing home fresh organic meat isn’t practical?
Meeting your pals at the range for Wednesday Night Bullseye league isn’t “practical”?
I agree that all my guns I shoot, but collecting and investing in firearms isn’t “practical”?
Supporting master gunsmiths isn’t “practical”?
Exploring the wide range of hobby interests in the shooting sports isn’t “practical”?

I’ve found shooting to be an affordable hobby. Buying good quality used guns has been- not profitable- but economical. After 10 years, I get back far more than I paid for them- which probably covers the costs of primers and bullets and gets me in to the next good quality used gun I am interested in.

Right now, it seems there are a lot of nice surplus .32s on the market. Tempting. There needs to be a new trend to sell pistols...
I'm not going to say .32 is the best self defense caliber, but for a lot of situations it's far from the worst because the worst is that which you can't shoot well.

IDK anyone who can't shoot a .32 effectively.

The only problem with .32's is lack of good, affordable handguns. Yes, the Beretta 81's that have come from Europe are cheap and good quality, but beyond them what's left? Zastava... maybe, Kel Tec... for CCW they're good, but that's it. It's even worse for revolvers as .32 Longs are very old and cost more than they're worth IMO, .32 Mags have only recently started becoming more available thanks to Charter, and for .327 it's Ruger only and their $500 price tag with the roll of the dice QC guarantee.

TruthTellers

I believe the OP was simply saying that all of his guns are users and doesn't have much interest or funds in guns that go beyond CCW. I don't think he was calling other guns unpractical, just unpractical for him.

To the original question, I find variety to be something that I enjoy, however, my collection has started to center around two cartridges, 45 ACP and .38.

I've always enjoyed shooting .45 and the 1911 in all formats is my favorite design. I've found they've started to multiply. .38, well, I can't say its my favorite but I enjoy revolvers and have started a moderate collection of snub nose .38s and just picked up a 3" .357 for back country.

Oddly - the one cartridge I don't own is a .32. Almost bought a Tomcat last weekend but passed to add another .38 (.357). I'll own one at some point though.

I know a .32 isn't an ideal SD round, but in my opinion, any gun is better than no gun and certainly not many people want to be shot.
No, .32 isn't ideal, but neither is having to shoot a gun to save yourself. The great thing is even a novice can be handed a .32 and be acceptable in accuracy. I was watching a video of Ian McCollum from Forgotten Weapons doing a backup gun match using a .32 French revolver and he commented that it's such an easy gun to shoot that it was something that didn't require even minimal training to shoot it well.

I own quite a few calibers, but like you I'm finding only two or three are my main ones. For revolvers it's .22, .32, and .45, for semi autos it's .22, 9mm, and .40/10mm (don't have the 10mm yet, but it's coming... eventually.)

I have a .38 snub and two .357's with a Taurus 7 shot .357 potentially on its way this year, but I don't reload for it much. I'm more focused on loading for the .32 and .327 Mag because I feel they're more practical not just in handguns, but also in a rifle as loaded down they're like a hot .22 LR, but loaded to max the .327 is near .357 Mag territory and good enough for deer out to 75 or 100 yards.

Sure, there are a lot more guns in .38/.357 available, which is a major reason I own some, but if given the choice of one over the other, I'm taking .32 and .327 Mag all day. If I really feel I need more power, 10mm and .45 Colt are the next step up.

Screwball

I just picked up a 1958 Manurhin PP off my C&R. It has a little bit of pitting, but planning to have the slide smooth out (the pitting is on the original markings, but CAI put their markings on the opposite side) and then some sort of nickel plating (between CPII and Metalife).

Did I need it? Nope... but the PP and PPK are pretty compact. Fixed barrel and easy to shoot caliber means anyone can shoot it. I always have a gun on me, an AR pistol in the back of the truck, and once that is done... a PP in the lockbox up front. A spare gun is never a bad thing.

Would I have preferred a .380 PP? Maybe... being I also have an LCP that I’ll carry from time to time. That way, no new calibers to stock. But at the same time, it will recoil more, and if I give the pistol to my girlfriend... unsure how much more difficult it would be over the .32.

Msauter

I love my .32’s ... added a P32 since this pic was taken

CrFZjXe.jpg

Last edited:

jar

I have more 32acps than 9mm Parabellum and 9mm Kurz combined. Makers include FN, Colt, Savage, Beretta, Mauser, Walther, Ortgies, Bernardelli, CZ & JP Sauer.

For many decades I have often carried a 32acp as my primary rather than any of my larger caliber handguns.

ozarkhillbilly

While I only have one .32 I do understand what you are asking. Myself, I ended up with a wide variety of mouse guns, Berettas in 22short, 22lr, 25acp and 32acp, a colt in 25acp and LCP380.

JERRYS.

^^^ this.

I was not meaning just .32 calibers, but rather guns in one caliber that you didn't "plan on" getting so many in number and just did through happenstance.

Forte S+W

Zero, but in my defense they had gone out of style by the time I had gotten into handguns, and the "Why carry a .32 when you can carry a .380?" rationality had taken over. Had I been more knowledgeable at the time and there had been a wider selection of .32s to choose from, then I may have actually gone that route, as I honestly feel that it's an underrated cartridge.
Seriously, folks these days will trust .22WMR out of a mini revolver, but not .32 ACP despite the fact that out of a short barrel they're going to be roughly equal in muzzle energy.

I own two .380s though, a Walther PPK/S and a Ruger LCP.

TruthTellers

^^^ this.

I was not meaning just .32 calibers, but rather guns in one caliber that you didn't "plan on" getting so many in number and just did through happenstance.
To answer your question, yes .32 and .45 Colt. First .32 was a Heritage, then I decided I wanted to get a top break revolver on the cheap and a decent looking H&R was available. That sprialed into the Henry .327 Big Boy, SP101, a Zastava .32, and lastly the Charter Professional.

And I'm probably not done yet as those Beretta .32's are a dime a dozen and $250 for one isn't bad. Plus, if Ruger ever bothers to make the LCP in .32, I'm buying. As for revolvers, I had sworn I wouldn't buy another .327, but after finding a good, cheap handload for it, I think I may grab the 7.5" Single Seven in the future.

Another I didn't intend to get so many in is .45 Colt. Being able to convert percussion revolvers to it is awesome, so after I got the 8 inch, I had to get the 5 inch. Then that led to a Ruger Redhawk to be able to shoot .44 Mag level .45 Colt and also .45 ACP via moon clip. Then I decided I wanted to try .410 from a handgun and stupidly bought a Cobray derringer, didn't like it, then got a Taurus Public Defender last year.

Pretty much tapped out in regards to .45, but I do think I'll be getting a Rossi in it tho just because.

TruthTellers

Zero, but in my defense they had gone out of style by the time I had gotten into handguns, and the "Why carry a .32 when you can carry a .380?" rationality had taken over. Had I been more knowledgeable at the time and there had been a wider selection of .32s to choose from, then I may have actually gone that route, as I honestly feel that it's an underrated cartridge.
Seriously, folks these days will trust .22WMR out of a mini revolver, but not .32 ACP despite the fact that out of a short barrel they're going to be roughly equal in muzzle energy.

I own two .380s though, a Walther PPK/S and a Ruger LCP.
They like .22 Mag because it's cheap and because it's not impossible to shoot .22 LR from a .22 Mag, it's just not ideal. People don't like having to spend a lot of money and in years past when Walmart had .22 Mag for $10/50 rds, but Winchester Jam Box flat nose .32 was $25, it's not feasible.

The one positive of Walmart dropping ammo sales is that it's going to force people to break the habit of relying solely on one store for all their ammo and send them to the internet where competition drives ammo prices down and supply is near infinite.

If the gun manufacturers would get behind offering their .380's in .32 and more revolvers in .32, the caliber would have a resurrection.

By far the largest growing segment of the market is females buying guns for protection and generally women like low recoil because it's comfortable for them. In response, the industry is making... .22 LR micro pistols. Yeah, real reliable stuff.

I absolutely adore the .32s of all stripes. They're just so damned polite when you pull the trigger.

I have...

H&R Breaktop, .32 S&W. This was my Great grandfather's "cowboy gun" when he was a working cowboy in the Dakotas in the early 1900s.

US Revolver Co., .32 S&W. This was another Great Grandfather's when he was a track gang foreman on the Pennsylvania Railroad in the early 1900s. You worked with some really rough people on track gangs, so it was advisable to be armed.

S&W Regulation Police, ca 1920. First S&W I ever bought.

S&W Model 30 snub. Picked it up on Gunbroker some years ago. Fun!

S&W Model of 1902. Friend of mine originally bought this years ago. GORGEOUS condition with exceptionally good plating for a gun so old. Picked it up last year when he decided to downsize his collection.

S&W M&P .32-20. Can't beat the .32-20!

Colt Police Positive Special .32-20. What makes a .32-20 even better? Another .32-20 from Colt!

CZ-70. My first .32 ACP. Trigger pull from hell, but a fun gun to shoot.

And my most recent acquisition, a Beretta 81. I've wanted one of these for years, but they were always so darned expensive. Then the Italian police surplus started coming into the country last year. Shot it a few weeks ago. Great fun, but boy my eyes stink now.

I have a bunch of other .32s I'd love to pick up -- Savage, Colt, Remington. Someday... someday.

"It's even worse for revolvers as .32 Longs are very old..."

Smith & Wesson was making .32 Long-chambered revolves into the early 1980s.

I have a Model 30 snubnose in .32 Long that was made in the 1970s.

Other manufacturers like H&R were also making .32 Longs into the 1970s.

Granted, they were not big sellers, but they were still available and newer .32 Longs are still out there.

Price? Well, that's a different discussion.

reloder56

Too many .32's?

I've never felt that I have too many .32's in my collection. I presently have fifteen .32 ACP pocket pistols from eleven countries. And I'm always on the search for makes and models that have so far eluded me.
Too many .32's? Impossible!
Gary

Nodak1858

I do have a big soft spot for 32acp, started with a CZ50 years ago and it grew from there to 6. But the one I didn't intend to get more than one was 7.62x25. When the Romanian TT were dirt cheap I picked up one because I thought they looked interesting. But then had to get a few Polish ones, M57s and a few more of the Romanian ones. So now have 9-10 of them. I like the grip on them, I shoot them pretty well and I like the looks. And it's one screamer of a little round. Reloading the little bottle neck isn't quiet as fun as straight walled cases, or rifle cases but it's a fun challenge.