How Long Should A Reload Take?

Single Six

I'm about to qualify with my GP-100 with my LE agency. This will be for off-duty carry. For many years, I've been toting my P-90 off-duty, but as I've said before, I miss my early days when I was issued a revolver...now I'm gonna do something about it. My question: How long should a reload take using HKS speed loaders? In other words, what's a realistic benchmark reloading time I should be trying for, since I'm no Jerry Miculek? I've been practicing; so far I'm at 4.5 seconds when all goes right. Thanks, guys.

It will take awhile to get proficient. You need to practice.

At one time, when I was shooting a lot and practicing my reloads even more, I could go last shot, reload, first shot in under 5 seconds. A couple of times I even broke under 4 seconds.

Once you're not practicing that any longer, though, it will get longer.

Single Six

Mike: Sounds like you had it all down pretty good! I'm really just trying to get a consensus on what is realistic vs. unrealistic expectations. I will indeed keep practicing. Thanks much.

kraigwy

I carried a Model 28 Smith when I was in LE. I was a range officer so I had to look like I knew what I was doing so I practice a lot and got fairly speedy.

Then I retired and started playing with everything else neglecting my speed loading of revolvers. About 15 years after retiring I got into ICORE, and found out I don't remember how to load a revolver. Seems like it took me a week to load compare to others.

Back to practicing. Lots of practicing. Whats great about practicing with speed loaders is like dry firing, it doesn't cost anything.

I do use dummy rounds though, that way I can load, shoot (dry fire) six, dump and load again.

Mark you dummy rounds to add to the safety factor. I like dry firing while practice loading. Going through the complete practice. Draw, shoot six, dump, load and shoot six, while promptly dry firing at a target.

MrBorland

FWIW, good IDPA SSR shooters can reload (last-to-first shot, with no "points down") in 3 seconds or less using cut-down competition speedloaders (CompIIIs or Jetloaders), so, to me, 4.5 sounds really good with HKS speedloaders. I've not used them, but I have a few laying around, so I might give it a try.

As Mike suggested, reloads should be measured from last shot to first shot, both of which ought to be hits.

Single Six

Kraigwy: The practice procedure you describe is exactly what I'm doing. Also, the dummy rounds I'm using are blue in color, and transparent as well...no danger of confusing them with the real deal! Even so, I'm still careful to use the 4 basic firearms safety rules, even when using the dummy rounds..that way I reinforce good habits. Mr. Borland: Thanks for the advice. I'm keeping my practice slow and methodical, not trying for speed...I've found that speed is a natural by-product of slow, deliberate practice [that seems to apply to practicing my draw, too..:)]. Hopefully I'll soon see the time trimmed down to an even 4 seconds or better.

MrBorland

Hopefully I'll soon see the time trimmed down to an even 4 seconds or better.

Do-able, methinks.

Turns out I had to swing by the house to let our dog out, so I rummaged around and found a HKS speedloader and gave it a whirl.

The dry fire drill is: draw, 2 shots, reload, 2 shots. With my IDPA rig, I can just beat 4 seconds. With a 1.5sec to the 2nd shot, that's a 2.5sec reload. Keep in mind, though, as a dry fire drill, it says nothing about how good my hits would've been. In fact, in matches, my reloads times are about 25% slower to insure I don't bobble the reload and/or sacrifice accuracy.

Anyhow, with the HKS speedloader, after a few practice runs, I was able to just beat 4.5 seconds in this drill, so that'd roughly be a 3 second reload. Again, though, during live fire, they'd be slower to insure consistency and good hits. I'm thinking a consistent 4 seconds with good hits would be an excellent reload.

The only people I ever saw who could CONSISTENTLY meet the sub 4 second reload with speed loaders were using spring loaded units that "shot" the cartridges into the chambers.

HKS units are naturally going to be a bit slower because you have to twist the knob enough to ensure that you have a clean release, and then you have to let gravity do its thing.

What took me the longest time to master was getting the cylinder lined up the same way every time (which I solved by using my index finger through the frame window and placed in one of the cylinder flutes AND making sure that my speedloaders were lined up correctly in the pouch.

Once I got those two things down, I could reload the cylinder without fumbling without looking at it.

Using round-nose flat point bullets helps, too, as the bullets find the chambers a lot more readily.

Single Six

Mr. Borland: Sounds good. I'll keep it up with the training on the reloads and we'll see how it goes on qualification day. You know, when I watch that footage of Miculek I feel sort of like a first-time weight lifter looking at old footage of Schwarzenegger...hopelessly out-classed. But then, that brings me back to what I said about keeping my expectations for myself realistic. After all, I'm just an average guy, and Miculek is, well....The Revolver God. Amazing stuff, that. Mike: So far, my biggest issue is getting the bullets lined up just right with the chambers..I'll keep working. Thanks again, guys.

MrBorland

You know, when I watch that footage of Miculek I feel sort of like a first-time weight lifter looking at old footage of Schwarzenegger...hopelessly out-classed.

As do many exceedingly talented and skilled master-level competitive wheelgunners.

Look, scan the results of this year's IDPA nationals below, and you'll see that those shooting in ESR were shooting for 2nd place. Even more incredibly, on stage 14, JM scored the fastest time for the entire match - soundly beating IDPA God Dave Sevigny, and flat-out stomping the other, Bob Vogel - and this was a 12-round stage, where everyone must reload at least once and any revolver shooter who flubs even a single shot needs to do a 2nd.

Sounds to me your reloads are coming along great, no matter what JMs are. If you haven't done so yet, maybe think about dipping your toes into some IDPA. It'd be great practice and it's a whole lot of fun to boot. If you're interested and in NC, PM me, as I've got extra gear you can use if you need it.

http://www.idpa.com/matchresults/2010_nationals/idpa2010/2010-09-22.pdf

RWK

Single Six,

I know this will not answer your question, per se. However, my reload speed with moonclips is MUCH faster than with any speed loaders, of any type. I mention this because I have found that a real collateral advantage of my .45 ACP and 10mm/.40 S&W N Frame revolvers is reloading as quickly as I can with any autoloader. I did buy these Smiths for this reason, but I am certainly glad their reload speed is so good.

Eagle0711

I'd say 4.5 sec. is very good,especially if your'e consistant. That's about the best that I can do using HKS or Safariland { non- competition } type.

HKS used to advertise 6 sec. for a reload. As a practical suggestion practice in the dark.

Single Six

8shot: The caveat here is that you have to carry whatever load you qualify with, and nothing else. Not my idea, but rules are rules. :( RWK: I do appreciate the advice, but I'm stuck with the GP as far as that goes; budgetary constraints, don't ya know...Eagle0711: That is excellent advice, and I confess I hadn't even though about trying it in the dark. Thanks for all the great responses, gang....keep 'em coming!

Moon clips do tend to be faster.

But, unfortunately, not a lot of revolvers are set up for moon clips, and setting one up that is chambered for a rimmed cartridge requires machining.

357 Python

I have used both HKS and Safariland speedloaders. While the Safarilands are considered quicker the difference to me is negligable. I personally like the HKS better because I started with them. With practice you should be able to reload from 4 to 6 seconds without any trouble.

Glenn Dee

On re-loading

A great subject.

For most of my career in policing I carried revolvers. My origonal qualification required that I fire 6, reload from dump pouches, then fire 6 more in 30 seconds or less. All rounds must hit center mass. That was then

Now I've learned to use HKS speed loaders. Speed is important. But still only second to technique. When reloading a revolver the shooter should be able to do so without looking at the gun or loader. Many people become fast but make the tactical error of burying their head(sight) in the gun. Tactically one should maintain eye's on the threat. Even if it takes a smidgen longer to reload.

I'd recomend two exercises. First practice reloading with the speed loader without looking at it. I'll describe it for a right hander. Open the cylinder with your weak hand, placing your thumb over a chamber, With the revolver pointing downward, hold the speed-loader knob between your thumb, and onefinger salute finger with your pointer finger laying atop of one cartrige. Without looking let your right pointer find your left thumb. The cartrige under your finger will enter the chamber under your thumb, guiding all 5 or 6. Twist counter clockwise your right thumb allowing the rounds to fall in the cylinder. Get into the habit of allowing the speed loader to fall to the ground as you will need two hands to lock up the cylinder, and fire the gun.

The second exercise is a little more difficult, and also should be practiced without looking at the ammo or the gun. Load individual rounds into the cylinder without looking. Right pointer on the round, and left thumb on the chamber, rotating the chamber with the left thumb after every load... six or five times. ALWAYS MAINTAINING EYE'S ON THE THREAT!

This works for me... I hope it helps you too

Glenn