How important are rings and bases on a hunting gun

Palmetto-Pride

What kind of Weaver rings do you have? If you have these
49144_00470.gif
I could easily see where you would have a problem, in fact I don't care for any rings that adjust for windage its just doesn't make for a solid setup. I dont mind Weaver bases, but don't really care for there rings.

A nice solid ring for Weaver bases (or a picatinny rail) is the Warne Maxima rings....
706_0660.png

Poodleshooter

Only a couple of ways rings/mounts can screw things up on a Weaver/Picatinny setup. A good mounting job is critical.

1. Rings are loose. This is easy to see,easy to fix. Use pencil marks on the scope to see if it slides back and forth.

2. Rings are too tight. If you're crimping the scope tube at all (and cheap rings can certainly do this), back it off. One of the bad things about some cheap rings is that they can be overtightened so as to actually squeeze a wasp waist into the scope. This wrecks the adjustments.

3. The mounts are off center. This can be a gun problem or a mount problem, and is usually due to misdrilled holes for the sight base or receiver. My dad had this problem on a rifle with one base's holes slightly off center. It caused his scopes to point to one side. What happens is that the scope has to be adjusted so far away from it's natural optical center that the adjustment springs get stressed, and an inferior portion of the glass (the edge) is used, ruining image quality and causing adjustments to "stick".
A "standard" type mount that is windage adjustable is usually the fix for this.

#3 can often cause trouble without you even knowing it. A scope that requires a ton of adjustment to one side is usually the only clue. It will make even a good scope (which the Buckmaster is) seem like a crappy scope. Adjustments won't be consistent,etc

Doyle

+1 on trying different ammo. I see you were using 150grn. I had a .270 once that would shoot decent groups with any 130grn ammo (even the super-cheap federal bluebox) but wouldn't shoot 150grn worth a crap.

pabuckslayer08

Im going to take the scope off and check it all out and try some more ammo in 130. Right now its somewhat zeroed but shoots a 3" group at 100 just all around the bull, no consistancy at all