How I ended up with a G19

Lohman446

Let me start out by saying I am not the normal Glock "fan-boy". I find the firearm to be ultimately soulless, have very little aesthetically redeeming properties, and am less than enamored with the idea of not having an external safety or hammer. To me whatever Glock does, with the exception of the 10MM G20 and G29, is available from a myriad of other manufacturers. With that out of the way I had also decided that if I bought a striker fired pistol it would be a Glock.

I had set out to replace my P938 as my primary carry gun and the benchmark I had chosen to base my other thoughts on was the G19. Surely with this is a benchmark I could find something I liked. Now in fairness to a good number of companies out there I had determined that if I was going to go with a striker fired pistol it was going to be a Glock.

My first and closest choice based on reading on the internet was the CZP07. effectively a hammer fired G19. Very similar dimensions though slightly heavier. My intent on Saturday morning was to go to the gun show, sell off a couple pistols I don't ever shoot, try and buy the CZP07. I found, of course, a G19 Gen 5 and held it before finding anyone with a CZP07.

I'm not big into the whole "feels right" concept in handguns. Barring some nightmare scenario a thousand rounds or so of shooting and drilling should make any handgun "feel right". Now I did make an exception - no safeties that went in the opposite direction of a 1911. The thing is, and I hated it as I held it, the G19 "felt right." Still I did not want a G19 so I continued to look around.

The CZP07: I wanted to absolutely love this gun when I held it. This is really the gun I intended to buy when I went. In fact the dealer made a cash offer on the pistols I had taken for trade and I took it with the caveat that he gives me $50 off if I come back and buy a pistol from him - regrettably he did not have a generation 5 and I had already decided if I went with the Glock I was going with the current production. No particular reason other than I did not find the cost difference to be meaningful and the differences were minimal to me - really did not care either way on the finger grooves and I'm right handed. The CP07 came across as top heavy and was not as stable in my hand as the Glock which seemed to sit lower. Again not something that practice would not have overcome but, comparing in my mind side by side, I went with the Glock in the end.

I then went around to the major dealers and asked for effectively a G19 with a hammer or the closest thing they could come up. One told me I could find it in HK but I would have to double the price. I told him that was not the concern and he tried but every HK was noticeably wider than the Glock. Numerous Sigs were tried, some off the wall things, a Beretta Cougar (safety went in the wrong direction), a couple striker fired pistols the dealers insisted I would fall in love with... a lot of different firearms that were "close" and some that were not.

It was a three hour exercise in futility. I hung my head in shame and bought the gun that made sense and not one that I really wanted to buy solely because it is a tool and not a toy

In the end it occurred to me that while the Glock was likely not the top on everyone's "top 5" list for compact concealed carry it was likely on nearly everyone's list somewhere. Its the benchmark in the category for a reason (again I did not give a fair chance to other striker fired pistols in my search and I know that).

It shoots fine
It will carry fine (holster is on the way)
It will conceal fine
Its fine...

Oddly I've never been less thrilled with the purchase of a new firearm. Even my G26 when I bought it many years ago I bought after shooting one on the range and being overly impressed with how quickly I was able to make good hits with it. In the end i sold it because by the time you had a grip extension on it you might as well have had a G19.

I'm not sure I've ever bought one that fills its role so well either. I can't figure out if I am happy with my purchase or disappointed. It does what I expected through a couple hundred rounds in putting shots on target (though I did not have pay conscience attention to my grip at first).

jmhyer

Though it may not seem like it right now, I think congratulations are in order. The G19 is (I'm fairly certain) the most widely carried handgun in the world...and that's not for nothing. It's a reliable workhorse. Holster and aftermarket options for it abound. And you'll find no shortage of spare/replacement parts if any are ever needed. It won't win any beauty contests but, as you've said, ultimately, that's never been it's claim to fame and that's not why it really has no equal.

CalmerThanYou

Congratulations on doing the work to find what you feel suits you best. I have always liked the aesthetics of Glock. It looks like a gun.

Spats McGee

Administrator
I agree that congratulations are in order, even if it doesn't seem like it. Your search sounds very much like mine:
Lohmann446 said:
. . . . no safeties that went in the opposite direction of a 1911.
Spats McGee said:
. . . . I am already familiar with the 1911 and its controls. . . . if this pistol is going to have a manual thumb safety, it must flip down to fire, not up. A pistol with a thumb safety which must be flipped up into the fire position is not acceptable. A pistol without any thumb safety is acceptable. . . . .
I see threads of yours such as:
G19 or P07 or ??
Glock 19 with a hammer?
My search for a 9mm polymer included the following contenders:
Spats McGee said:
SR9/SR9c . . . .
Glock 19 . . . .
Smith and Wesson Sigma (SW9VE) . . . .
Smith and Wesson M&P9c . . . .
Springfield Armory XD/XDM/ETC . . . .
CZ P-07 Duty . . . .
The residents here at TFL also suggested a variety of other pistols, but I wound up with the G19. Honestly, I never did like the way they felt in my hand until I borrowed a buddy's Gen 3 to carry for a few weeks while my 1911 was getting new sights. Part of my reasoning at the time I bought my G19 was: (a) I got Blue Label pricing, so (b) if I just well-and-truly hated it; (c) I wasn't likely to lose money if I sold it. About 6 months after purchase, I even wrote a review of it, which included the following:
Spats McGee said:
. . . . If you’ve read many of my posts, you probably realize that I am not a Glock fan. I don’t want to like them, and I’ve spent 25-30 years not wanting to like them. . . . .
Four years and ~2k rounds down the road, I still haven't sold her. You're absolutely right that while the G19 may not be at the top of everyone's list for a cc or jack-of-all-trades pistol, it is on just about everyone's list for that somewhere. And it's there for a reason.

For whatever reservations you may have, I'd suggest that you take her out and put her through her paces. Get a few hundred rounds down, clean her a couple of times, and then let us know what you think.

sigarms228

Congrats on your new Glock 19. It will server you well. :)

In the end it occurred to me that while the Glock was likely not the top on everyone's "top 5" list for compact concealed carry
it was likely on nearly everyone's list somewhere. Its the benchmark in the category for a reason (again I did not give a fair chance to other striker fired pistols in my search and I know that
)

I bet the Glock 19 is in the top five list a lot more than you might believe. As far as a 9MM double stack full grip pistol I bet it is in almost anyone's top 5 list to consider. There is very good reason why it is so popular still.

GarandTd

Interesting journey. Like jmhyer stated, there is probably no gun on the planet easier to find accessories for than a Glock. I have no interest in Glock, but I've come to the conclusion that I may end up with one at some point during my handgun journey. Who knows, maybe I'll like it.

rodfac

It won't win any beauty contests but, as you've said, ultimately, that's never been it's claim to fame and that's not why it really has no equal.
Agree with the first 5 words...and disagree with the last 7. For both I would offer up the Browning Hi Power...beauty but still a beast when it needs to be....Rod

Viper225

I believe you did well. I like the new Gen 5. I would love it if it also came in a G23 configuration. The Gen 5 G19 a buddy at the gun shop has feels the best in my hand of any Glock I have ever handled.

As for the Hi Power. I bought a Commercial Hi Power when I first got into Law Enforcement back in 1974. If would not feed an HP ammunition unless it looked like Ball, and it did not shoot for beans either. I have owned one semi auto over the years that shot worse. It was a totally worn out Remington Rand 1911. I traded the Hi Power for a new Smith & Wesson Model 28 with 4" barrel. I was never happier. The Model 28 was on the other end of the scale. It was one of the most accurate handguns I have ever owned. I have never had the urge to own another Hi Power after the first one.

Bob

OhioGuy

Nothing wrong with the G19! I was on exactly the same journey you were, but we switched places. I went to the range set on getting a Glock 19 and came home with the CZ P07! It fit my hand perfectly and I can make faster follow up shots than with any other. I'm pretty used to the DA shot now too, although I certainly wouldn't mind lightening that first pull by a couple pounds.

stephen426

Glock's are not something to get excited about unless you need it to defend yourself and you recognize it for the reliable tool that it is. The Tenifer finish is excellent and the light weight, high capacity, and simplicity of the gun is what has made it such an incredible success. I carry a Glock 43, but I can see myself getting a 19 eventually.

As for other great striker fired pistols, I got my sister a Walther PPQ and it is a great gun. The trigger is one of the best for a striker fired gun (other than HK P7M8 of course).

OhioGuy

Glock's are not something to get excited about unless you need it to defend yourself and you recognize it for the reliable tool that it is. The Tenifer finish is excellent and the light weight, high capacity, and simplicity of the gun is what has made it such an incredible success. I carry a Glock 43, but I can see myself getting a 19 eventually.

As for other great striker fired pistols, I got my sister a Walther PPQ and it is a great gun. The trigger is one of the best for a striker fired gun (other than HK P7M8 of course).
I have to say, I've not really found a polymer striker gun to get excited about...they're kinda all reliable tools that aren't very interesting.

I have two PPQs! (.22 and the almighty Q5 Match). The Match is a little exciting, mainly because it has a blue trigger and looks menacing with the slide cuts :) And all PPQ triggers are great! But exciting? Meh. I shot about 8 of the latest striker 9mm's in my hunt for "the one" and just didn't find one that called to me...I left with the P07...which is an unexciting G19 with a hammer!

I guess the ones that excite me are the quirky ones with character, like a Ruger Blackhawk. Practical? No. Reliable? Probably, but its best feature is that it makes me feel like Clint Eastwood for 50 rounds! THAT's exciting!

My dad has a Beretta 92fs in an all-stainless finish, with rosewood grip panels. It's a thing of beauty. Love that thing. It doesn't fit my hand well, but it's just so cool! I got to try their new APX...seemed well executed...easy to shoot...fits my hand wonderfully...struck me as "Oh, another Glock-off that will never sell as well a Glock..." Which would display in a collection? The 92? Take to the range when I want to bond with the gun? The 92. Which would I carry if I had to defend my life? The APX, because it fits my hand and the slide is so easy to rack, with no chance of accidentally engaging the awkwardly-placed 92 safety levers.

So boring definitely has its place! G19 and P07 are about as boring as it gets, and will still be boring 20K rounds from now, when they're still running uneventfully. For a defense weapon, that's the kind of boring I want.

Last edited:
Lohman, that about sums up my 2017.

I sold over 90% of my handguns this year in favor of being a self defense practitioner.

I explain it as having two sides to the brain. Gun enthusiast (emotion) versus self defense student (logical). I sold my 1911s, DA / SA pistols (minus one), and whatever I just had laying around. Granted, there were other reasons as to why I also sold them, but clearing this up in my own head helped a bunch.

I'm down to 3 semi-automatic handguns and 2 revolvers. Yes, the revolvers have a place.. See Clint Smith on "overspray". That's all I'll say about that.

Well, good on you! You went with the tool for the end goal. The end goal being defending your life and not what's pretty or different.

It'll take care of you. That's for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

TunnelRat

One thing I would say is it doesn't have to be either or. You can own the Glock plus the pistol that interests you more. It isn't gun enthusiast or self defense practitioner and no overlap. Recently I've started picking up more enthusiast type firearms because while I carry and use Glocks primarily, I do get bored. Having the other pistols in the safe that I can take to the range on occasion is something I enjoy.

Definitely what TunnelRat said if the funds legitimately permit.

If you're in a position where every time you're in a pinch, you have to sell one or two off, that's a no-go. lol.

But yes, it *does* get boring in the gun enthusiast realm. Easier to ignore the temptations when you can't take them up anyways.

I'm spending my money mainly on classes, ammo, and magazines. :D

It is very interesting to me, in my years on internet gun forums, that people love to hate certain guns. In some cases (many cases) because they are the standard by which all others are judged: there is always someone who wants to knock the standard down a peg or two. In this case, you wanted to hate the Glock (why, I have no idea). But my hat is off to you for using good judgement and reason in what you eventually bought.

I am not a Glock fan boy either. In fact, I totally agree with you that I don't think Glocks look good. I never sit and admire a Glock. They don't inspire me in any way other than the fact that they work and work well. They are, as you say, a tool. In the winter, I shoot handguns every Friday night, and I try to rotate through my handguns; shoot them all at least once that year, give them a good cleaning and lubrication.......... I have to talk myself into shooting the Glocks because they just don't do anything for me.

I bought my first Glock 17 back when a polymer pistol was a brand new thing. And Glock was basically the only thing out there. I saw one used in a gun store and I wanted to see what all the talk was about: I bought the gun, it worked great. I have used it, or some other Glock as my carry gun ever since. I don't fondle them or sit it on the table to admire. But, if I ever need to defend my life, that is what I am using because I think it is the best tool for the job.

Something that I learned a long time ago: when I hear someone say something like; this product is just as good as XXXX. I buy XXXX. That is what everything else is being compared to. And there is a reason for that. Rather than going out of my way to buy something that is supposed to be just as good as XXXX, why not just buy XXXX ???

Lohman446

I think I have been moving away from the collecting realm in regards to guns and justifying what I own in general in my life. My gun "collection" has not fared well but I have come out ahead for the most part, picked up a couple guns I had a legitimate use for, and been happier. Frankly my house had been cluttered with stuff (still is) and I have been working to simplify on several aspects. I found guns in the safe I forgot I owned.

I think this is what made this decision a little harder. I was looking for one gun that would both be very specific in regards to its task AND still give me the "oh this is awesome" feeling. I'm satisfied that the gun will fill its role very well. I'm confident that if I can continue to simplify things I will also be more competent with the guns I keep. I'm still left looking at the gun and going "this is fine".

I'll hold up the Crossbreed holsters as an example of what I mean. I like the design of the Crossbreed holsters and find them aesthetically pleasing. They are also, for me, very functional. So I get both in a single item. While I have not tried every other option I have tried several others. Some were as functional (and cheaper) but none struck me as more functional. So I pay the extra to get both. I tried to pay the extra in regards to the G19 and get both (or actually pay less with the CZ). It bothered me that I was not able to do so especially considering that my wife is of the "no budget when it comes to something that will defend the children" philosophy and I was prepared to spend a good amount of money to get something that was both functional and filled that emotional need.

I suppose I should be more worried that I try to fill emotional need through material possession.

The Glock will be fine... I ordered a thousand rounds of 9MM to put through it over the next couple weekends and get comfortable.

The other good news: if my wife carries through with her CCW class (she has discussed it) her learning curve between her G17C and a G19 for carry will be very minor. The G17C is the only gun she owns, to the point of registering it to her name rather than mine, and she loves the thing.

5whiskey

Glock's are not something to get excited about unless you need it to defend yourself and you recognize it for the reliable tool that it is. The Tenifer finish is excellent and the light weight, high capacity, and simplicity of the gun is what has made it such an incredible success.

That is my thought on Glock pistols. Not a fan-boy, but I respect them for what they are.