How has hunting season been for you hunters??

hooligan1

Me and my oldest son shot does, mine weighed 90 lbs his 100.
But the biggest thing for me was hunting with this rifle I had rebarreled: Remington 1903a3, .270 win, using 150 gen ABLR. Made short work of her, through the lungs at 80 yds.
Sure handled nice, makes for a great hunting rifle...

treg

Deer hunting was boring as usual.....

Squirrel hunting has been fantastic this year, as was last year.

Looking forward to some rabbit hunting in a while.

Wow, KraigWY, you've got some awesome hunting out there!

lockedcj7

Son killed his first deer this year. It was a cull buck, but he was over the moon about it. I've still got a few days left to hunt and I'm still trying to fill the freezer. I saw two this morning but they were at 400+ and that's 100 yds past my limit. I'll try again in the morning.

Saltydog235

As far as putting meat in the freezer, pretty bad. Though having my 8yo hunting partner with me learning and spending a ton of time with his dad, the best season ever. I get frustrated with his wiggling and whispered talking but he's come a long way so far. His shooting on the range has improved and he's about ready to take a shot himself. We just need a deaf and very nearsighted deer to step out.

Jack O'Conner

This hunt took place on public land in south-eastern Pennsylvania. I shot this young antler-less buck thinking it was a doe. But it's a "dinner plate trophy" for us.

30-30 is a keeper!

Jack

jersurf101

It has been an up and down year here in eastern NC. Hurricane Mathew messed up BP season with some historic flooding. Our traditional rut was very warm as well. I white tail hunt and we have two black bear seasons.

My son got his first deer this year, a nice fat doe at about 150 yards with the Winchester 88. My three have all been fairly long pokes at 270 to 300 yards with my 300wsm. I have ended up with 2 does and a cull buck 7 point. This is all stand hunting, we do not run dogs. Over all I have seen a ton of deer and a few small bears. Big buck sightings were down but I have seen a ton of small bucks. I feel like that can be mostly attributed to the weather.

upstate81

The hunting on our road was great this year. My cousin shot the 10 pointer i posted here. I shot a nice 11 pointer a few weeks ago and a doe 2 weeks prior. My brother in law shot a monster 8 point with his bow and a doe during gun season. Soon our deer management permits will be in the mail from the DEC. Then its easy freezer fillin from the pick up. :)

lockedcj7

I did kill a doe yesterday so that will end my season. We only need two for meat. Salty dog, my son can't sit still to save his life. I don't know if this is an option where you hunt, but we built a 4'x4' box blind and it makes all the difference. I built it on skids so we can move it around easily and it keeps the weather off since it has a roof.

BrthrB

2016 muzzle loader from western WI!

Hunting was tough during the early archery and regular gun season...got this buck on the 2nd to last day of the black powder season!

2016 black powder.JPG

Nodak1858

I got a doe with my CMP Garand, shooting 150 grain Core-lokts over 46 grains of IMR4895. It was a small doe but after 3 days of walking many miles I was thankful to get anything. Son got a few shots at pheasants but missed, got himself a nice cotton tail though so some meat for the pot. Over all it's been a decent year.

Mr. Hill

I was blessed with my first elk this year. And I managed to find a great new job last month, so this year is ending much better than the beginning/middle part of the year.

Merry Christmas!

Picher

Had a great time hunting this year! Shot several grouse in the North Maine Woods and saw over 40 deer, but didn't have an antlerless tag and passed up two spikehorns early, and missed a quick shot on a 400 yard buck.

Really enjoyed hunting with my new Beretta 20 gauge O/U and new Rem 700 CDL, .270, with Leupold 3-9, Timney trigger and after-market stock.

Loaned out two rifles to three relatives who managed to shoot 2 bucks with them. Family is what it's all about!

Today (Christmas), my 15-year old grandson will be receiving a near-pristine Rem 721, 30-06 that was his other deceased grandfather's deer rifle. My son bought a new Rem ADL synthetic stock and scope and mounts for it. I fitted the stock (not easy) and pillar-bedded it to the metal; mounted the new 3-9x SIG scope and sighted it in. She's a fine, sub-moa shooter!

I hope he appreciates the history and gift from both grandfathers and his dad.

Attachments

• Matt's Rifle.jpg
    Matt's Rifle.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

MarkCO

We only filled one of three elk tags. I passed up several shots that were easier and eventually took my elk at 410 yards. My 12 year old and 15 year old each had 2 misses.

The elk were extremely skittish with a lot more pressure this year. Of course hunting a few resident herds is harder than it used to be hunting migratory herds of 100s out in the open valleys.

Full freezer, overall a success in my book.

reynolds357

My six year old son just started hunting this year. He killed a five point buck, a 10 point buck, and killed a large doe at 198 yards(whitetails). He has a Savage Axis .223. The Fusion MSR are some mean little bullets. It has changed my way of thinking about hunting with a .223.

MrBorland

I managed to get to my stand a few times and was happy to land this verynice-for-NC buck. I hope to get out for some bunnies soon.

8pointerNovember2016_zpsrbdujsom.jpg

jfruser

My indian name must be "Noisy Vegetarian," because I saw bupkis. Or, rather, I saw lots of tracks and scat, but none of the critters that make them.

Wanted to see something so my daughter could get a shot off, but no luck.

Deja vu

probably about 25-30 years I have been hunting. I did miss about 7-10 years recently... I lost interest because I was going alone. When my boys got old enough and expressed an interest in it I took the hobby back up. I am worried what will happen when my youngest moves out and is all busy.

shootbrownelk

My season went kaput this year, I had knee replacement surgery in the middle of September so I didn't bother to apply for or buy any tags over the counter. Still healing, not climbing mountains.