How easy is it to make your own reactive targets?

g.willikers

Before splurging for steel reactive targets, I used wood hung so they would swing back and forth when hit.
No need to reset.
No ricochets either and, depending on the wood chosen, they can last a long time.
Cheap, too.

Boogershooter

I've made my own for several years thar work pretty good but they truly arent saving me much money. I start by cutting the bottom out of a metal pan. There are many sizes and u go to wally world and pick the size u want for around $5. You will use this piece twice in the process and is reusable hundreds of times. Trace it out on a sheet of plywood for as many targets as you need. Cut them out with a jigsaw. But cut well outside the line. Then put a layer of red paint or whatever color you prefer and let dry. Then place your stencil or pan back on your cut outs. The trick here is to pour the paint in the stencil without it leaking underneath. U have to pour enough paint as to let it puddle up about 1/16 of a inch. Then let dry. When the bullet hits the dried puddles of paint they will chip off and you should see the first coat of paint. Types of paint is important but this seriously is a time consuming project and probably more expensive than any paper target you can purchase. Metal gongs and a cheap can of spray paint is always gona be the cheapest in the long run but they are illegal on many ranges. In most cases if you have a place to hunt then you have a place to shoot.