How does NFA work when it's a DIY conversion?

Deja vu

I have a question then. I have gone to a place in Oregon that lets you shoot fully automatic firearms. I even shot an AA12. I am fairly sure that no AA12s where made before 1984. How is that a legal business? Im sure its legal cause Its very large and advertises letting people shoot fully automatics.

I just did a google search and with in 10 seconds found a place that will let you shoot a fully auto FN P90. Those a pretty new too right?

Can they make them but just not sell them?

Gunfixr

Any machine gun made after may of 1986 is non transferable, therefore, not available for purchase by the general population.
The only groups who can possess them are: the federal government, law enforcement agencies, firearms manufacturers who also have a special occupational tax (sot) paid, and firearms dealers who have an sot paid and a demonstration letter from a law enforcement agency.
Manufacturers can make as many as they want, but they can only be sold to, and possessed by, these groups.
Renting a machine gun is an entirely different matter, as the business never relinquishes "possession".

Gunfixr

For instance, we have, at the shop, a full auto 10/22 that I converted 2 yrs ago. That makes it a "post sample" the common term in the industry for machine guns made after '86.
The business owns it, as a manufacturer (07) with sot.
I cannot sell it to you.
I cannot buy it myself.
I can let you shoot it, or rent it to you here on the property. I can bring it to your property and let you shoot it. I cannot leave it from my immediate presence.
If the business is dissolved, it must either be: sold to one of the groups mentioned above, given to batfe, or destroyed and proof given of its destruction to batfe.

Gunfixr

About 4-5 yrs ago, iirc, I did a select fire Saiga 12 for an ffl with sot. I made a demo video for him once it was up and running, about 5 minutes.

YouTube, Gunfixr Select Fire Saiga

Enjoy.

44 AMP

Staff
ATF is only enforcing the onerous requirements of the National Firearms Act of 1934.......passed by Congress. It's a tax, no different than the taxes collected on tobacco and alcohol.....just more paperwork and waiting

No, it is a little different than the tax on booze or tobacco, since the 86 ban, the machine gun part is more like the fed tax on pot. It exists, you can even pay it, but they won't let you buy the item.

Sadly, unlike pot (right or wrong) there is no local "grassroots":rolleyes: push to de-restrict machineguns. There is some for "silencers" and even some for SBRs and shotguns, but not machine guns. That's just too much for the generations of conditioned thought in the USA today.

dogtown tom

44 AMP No, it is a little different than the tax on booze or tobacco, since the 86 ban, the machine gun part is more like the fed tax on pot. It exists, you can even pay it, but they won't let you buy the item.
The Federal Marihuana Tax was ruled unconstitutional in 1969......you could not pay it if you wanted to.;)

Gunfixr

That gun was a lot of fun. Had it about 2-3 months before sending it to the customer, waiting on the form 3 (dealer to dealer).
Was shooting it pretty regular. Even at the cheap $5 a box stuff, it was adding up, so while we hated to see it go, my wallet sure didn't mind it going.
Even took it to a 3 gun shoot.

barnbwt

"The Federal Marihuana Tax was ruled unconstitutional in 1969......you could not pay it if you wanted to."
Odd, since it's plain that's exactly how the Registry works, isn't it? Or is the fact they "accept" your payment prior to disapproving the form & refunding you the 'legal' difference that covers them? In any case, there's an awful lot of people pleading with the Bureau to take their money for taxes that go unsatisfied...

TCB

dogtown tom

barnbwt "The Federal Marihuana Tax was ruled unconstitutional in 1969......you could not pay it if you wanted to."
Odd, since it's plain that's exactly how the Registry works, isn't it?
No, the machine gun registry closed due to the Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986.

In the first, the tax was ruled unconstitutional, the closing of the registry was legislation that prohibited new firearms from being added. It has not been ruled unconstitutional.

President Reagan signed the 1986 Act right? Can't figure that out
The FOPA did a great deal of good for a great many people. President Reagan was encouraged and inclined to support it in its unamended form.

Senator Hughes introduced his amendment at the last minute. He also poured on tons of rhetoric about saving school children from the scourge of drug dealers with machine guns and whatnot. He was able to get enough votes to keep it attached.

Supporters of the bill didn't want to wait until the next legislative session, in which the balance of congress might have changed. The idea was that the amendment would have been overturned later. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

Machineguntony

The time to overturn Hughes has long passed. In a few more generations, machine guns will become antiques. With enough passage of time, there will be no more civilian machine guns, even if it takes a few hundred of years.

At least we're lucky that we don't have the situation in Canada. The situation in Canada is that only current machine gun owners can buy machine guns, and the machine guns must come from current owners. Thus, the situation in Canada is that there are: 1. no new machine guns; and 2. there are no new machine gun owners.

In Cananda, they have a Highlander situation, where one day, the last surviving machine gun owner will own all the machine guns in Canada. After the Canadian Highlander gets all the Canadian machine guns, he will live forever and rule the Canadian Earth. The end.

deblaw223

I agree. The machine gun ban should go away. I just can't see it happening without a major shift in this country. Heck, most republican gun owners are OK with gun bans of some sort of another

Skans

Machineguntony

The more I think about the machine gun ban, the more I get upset. I mean, if I showed you my 30 year old pistol, most young kids would think, "that thing is ugly". Show them a brand new H&K pistol, and it's the coolest thing ever.

But everyone who sees a legal machine gun thinks it's so cool. It's another ugly 30 year old gun!

And the more I look at an MP7, the madder I get.

My apologies to the older shooters. lol.