How do you select a rifle?

publius

The first rifle I bought was a 700 in 30-06 b/c I wanted a good deer rifle. There really is no rhyme or reason to most of my other choices. .338WM for deer, etc, etc, some have made sense though, AR-15. My next rifle makes sense too, it will be a CZ in 6.5x55. Why, because god himself created this cartridge and my current 6.5 leaves a little to be desired. After that will be a competition bench gun. Oh, if somebody comes to me with a great deal on a rifle I normally would never consider, it's mine. Yes, I have a problem.:D

texfar

It is habit forming

First off, I have been fortunate to be able to do what I have done with firearms. I do have many firearms and Most have a purpose. Preface: After the military, I lived overseas until 2001....long time where you could not have firearms. I grew up with them. I was and am making decent money and decided to make up for all I had forgone for all those years. I will attempt to answer your questions.

How did you select the rifles that you now have?

First rifle in 60's was a plain jane Rem 700 ADL .270 , 84 bucks from Nagels Gun Shop in San Antonio,and needed something to hunt dear with. It was one of the most accurate rifles boxed or custom I have ever owned. Since I have been back to good ol USA, I have purchased more guns than god allows. Only about 4 were for a purpose, the rest just fantastic deals, auctions..estate sales etc. Guns are one of the things I live for.

How do you choose witch of your rifles to take hunting?

Choose for what and where I am hunting. On my lease near Del Rio, I usually took several. Each for a specific task. One of which was my 1947 Ithaca 37 12 ga. full choke feather weight for Turkey and Sand Hill Crane. Never without the .17 Marlin or Golden Mounty .22 for, usually, the task of clearing squirrls and Grackles around the owners ranch house at his request. Brush rifle was a Savage 99 .284 for close in hogs in the brush. AK also served that purpose when taken...don't discount them for quick aquisition shots. .243 Sako L-579 for varmit work...Long range deadly. Rem 700 Classic, 7mm Rem Mag for stand work clear areas. Was my favorite most reliable rifle. Now is custom rifle 7mm STW. .300 Ultra Mag, Sako 75 SS Syn. was for the really big hogs at some really long ranges, 400-700+ yards across the fields, flat shooting and great for incliment weather. Then either my Glock 23 or 36 whatever caught my fancy that day for bad things really close...Hogs busting out of brush. Primitave conditions and stayed usually 2 wks at a time.

Who & why selects the rifle based on the game intended to be hunted?

Me. See above plus I will add that accuracy and reliability a must.

Who & why selects the rifle based on the area they intend to hunt?

See above.

Tell me the story behind your rifle selection.

Old Rem 700 Classic, serial number check showed one of the first run of this caliber, 7mm Rem Mag was bought in Live Oak gun show right after I came back from overseas. Great looking rifle, great price, fit the bill. Shot it next day and could only get 4 inch groups....Blah. Took a week to get the copper out and daily could watch the groups shrink. With hand loads and proper cleaning, .75" was standard group.

Had the 10/22 bug and fell into one of them now replace by my old Golden Mounty from an estate sale, 99 %. Savage 99 same. These maybe easy questions for a fellow with only a couple of firearms, but they get tougher when you have to think about a bunch of them. Bottom line, some for purpose, some for investment and some Mausers, cheep, for later custom builds, which I have accomplished. That is another story. Some where on the forum are pics of my collection as of a couple years ago. Got no idea of where. Bottom line, I buy when I see a good deal then decide what to do with it these days.
Ken

j.chappell

Old Rem 700 Classic, serial number check showed one of the first run of this caliber, 7mm Rem Mag was bought in Live Oak gun show right after I came back from overseas.

I dont think Remington ever made the Classic in a 7mm Remington Magnum.

I belive this is the list of all Classics

7x57 Mauser 1981 Classic
257 Roberts 1982 Classic
300 H&H Mag 1983 Classic
250 Savage 1984 Classic
350 Rem Mag 1985 Classic
264 Win Mag 1986 Classic
338 Win Mag 1987 Classic
35 Whelen 1988 Classic
300 Wby Mag 1989 Classic
25-06 1990 Classic
7mm Wby Mag 1991 Classic
220 Swift 1992 Classic
222 Rem Mag 1993 Classic
6.5x55 Swedish 1994 Classic
300 Win Mag 1995 Classic
375 H&H Mag 1996 Classic
280 Rem 1997 Classic
8mm Rem Mag 1998 Classic
17 Rem 1999 Classic
223 Rem 2000 Classic
7mm-08 Rem 2001 Classic
221 Fireball 2002 Classic
300 Savage 2003 Classic
8mm Mauser 2004 Classic
308 Win 2005 Classic

223 shooter

Lets assume that you only have a rimfire. What method would you use to select a new rifle?

I always liked the lever action so when I decided I wanted something more powerful than a 22lr I picked up a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. Not a true rifle cartridge but a lot of fun. Then I decided that a .444 Marlin must be even more fun to own! I shot the 44 mag far more , was set up to reload it. No longer own either.

How did you select the rifles that you now have?

These days I like precision shooting and it was my reasoning that a bolt would be the best way to go. My first ever bolt about a dozen years ago was a 700VS in .308. I passed on the .223 because at the time I did not think of it as a serious rifle cartridge. Buying a TC Super 14 barrel changed that as the accuracy was even better than the .308 bolt many times!

So now I have a small collection of heavy barrel bolt guns , a few 700s and a Savage 12BVSS. Would surely like to have lever action again , one of these days!

Have to mention as well that the Weatherby pictured by j.chappell is one gorgeous rifle! As I am very pleased with the accuracy performance of the centerfire bolt actions I own none have the beauty such as pictured above. "Need" to have one such rifle too!

texfar

Yes they did, I have one. Am across the pond but will fwd serial when home. I ain't perfect though.
Ken

Horseman

j.chappell

They did produce the "classic 700" in more standard calibers too. I've seen them in everyday calibers like 270 win. and alike. I believe these earlier classics were produced before Remington decided to produce them in only 1 caliber per year. Meaning production years of 1980 or earlier. I'm not certain on the years of production but I know they were produced in other calibers than the master list you posted.