How do you patent bullet designs?

Southern_guy

I recently thought up an idea for a new bullet load.I haven't been able to find a place to patent it yet, however. Do you have to get a certain type of patent for weapon related inventions? How much do most patents cost to file?

FirstFreedom

Short answer: Hire an IP lawyer. IP Lawyers handle patents, copyrights, & trademarks.

Long answer. Hire an IP lawyer, pay them, fill out lots of paperwork; have them guide you through the process of creating your application and submitting it to the patent office in Wash, D.C., wait and wait for an answer; possibly more paperwork & more fees if it gets rejected initially, and needs to be re-worked; more waiting.

First step: Save up $5,000-$10,000 to pay the law firm. You can do it yourself, but it'd be not too far different from performing a successful appendectomy on yourself. Well, ok, first step would be to try to get a consultation with an IP lawyer, to gather more information.

Do you have to get a certain type of patent for weapon related inventions?
No, the normal patent office handles all types.

RevolverLover

Any way to get something patented with your total savings and income equalling $300?

Probably not but might try to find investors to see if they might be interested in your design or get a loan maybe.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Before you decide what to do, go to US Patent Office and spend some time looking at the various How To's and resource guides (almost all in PDF files) that they have to offer.

It may be worth the effort to hire an IP attorney, but you can do it yourself. The information is there, you just have to be willing to really research your idea. It will take a lot of time and effort.

If after you have spent a few days researching, then you will be armed with the necessary information as to whether or not you need an IP attorney.

There are also other avenues to consider: Such as forming a partnership with an existing manufacturer of the type of device you have envisioned. Remington, Winchester, Hornady, etc. will already have attorneys on call for the process... If they decide that your idea is marketable.

There are NDA's (Non-Disclosure Agreements - That is something you will need an attorney to draw up) to be made and signed between you and a prospective partner. You will not get 100% of any profits, regardless of which way you decide, but it will cut down on your costs and you will already have a manufacturer ready to put your idea into practice.

So then: You can do it yourself or pay an IP attorney to do it - then search for someone interested in making your idea a reality - for a share of the profits. Or, you can find an existing manufacturer and convince them that your idea is marketable and let them do the legal work - for a share of any profits.

Good luck.

crankshop1000

My son works for a patent firm he is a Mechanical Engineer and does the applications and research. If you are serious PM me and I'll put you in touch with him.

Jart

Perhaps even before contacting an IP lawyer is to see if you can dredge up an existing patent yourself. If somebody has already filed, you can save yourself a lot of bother.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/

Not finding an existing patent is no guarantee that there isn't one but it could save a lot of wheel-spinning.

As example, a search on "bullet frangible" produces 403 hits.

Waitone

Patent law is a specialty practice as is tax law. Patent lawyers are expensive because the cost of their failing is so high. First step will be a patent search which will examine current literature and patents to ensure you've not reinvented the wheel. Pay the lawyer. Write the patent and pay the lawyers. File the patent and pay the lawyer and USG. With luck you'll be granted a patent which will do nothing to protect your patent. Some one infringes and screaming "infringement" get you a sore throat. Now you are to the most expensive part of owning a patent. Defending it! A patent is merely a ticket to the courtroom. That's it and nothing more. Defense of the patent is your responsibility and your only defense is to either sell it to deep pockets or pay for the litigation to stop infringement.

First step is the patent search. Then you can scope out the costs.

Southern_guy

I don't know if this is a problem or not, but the design uses no original components. I just combined existing bullet technology into a more lethal form which to my knowledge has ever been done.

brickeyee

"I think I'm going to go with local lawyers."

If they are not a patent lawyer they will have NO idea what to do.
The patent bar is sop specialized they have a separate bar exam.

"doubles stopping/killing power of bullets"
Sounds more like fantasy then real...

Jim Watson

I am not a patent attorney but as I understand it:
"Ideas" aren't patentable. Can you produce drawings and descriptions by which somebody "versed in the art" can make your bullet? If using existing technology, is it unobvious to somebody "versed in the art?"

You don't have to have a physical prototype like the cartoons show, but if you had done so it can't hurt.

Jart

I believe most new designs don't involve new components - I had an entertaining time reading a patent for combining RDX with standard propellant. I believe it's used in tank rounds currently.

Trademark copyrights can be creative - think combining a round hole with a folding knife blade - at least I think that was a copyright and not a patent but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, if you find an existing patent for your invention, you've saved yourself expense and time at the cost of a little bad news. If you don't come up with anything then it's time to start shelling out money. This may or may not be preceeded by prototyping to be sure the thing works before you part with the funds. It's not required that something works to patent it as a search for "perpetual motion" will demonstrate, but it might be prudent to make sure something does perform as expected before investing further in the patent process.

Southern_guy

"Can you produce drawings and descriptions by which somebody "versed in the art" can make your bullet? If using existing technology, is it unobvious to somebody "versed in the art?"

You don't have to have a physical prototype like the cartoons show, but if you had done so it can't hurt."

I can make a prototype in 5 minutes.

"Sounds more like fantasy then real..."
Well, it doubles the lethal power in a handful of calibers, but they are extremely common calibers used by the military and police. It won't require modifying the guns either.