How do you like your Bodyguard

Sam06

I am looking at a S&W M38 "Bodyguard" and was wondering how they shoot, feel and carry. I have only one other snub gun a 2" M10 S&W but it is a really nice gun(4 screw, Round butt, Diamond grips) and I don't want to beat it up too bad(Plus my wife likes it and she keeps it loaded next to the bed). I normally carry a small Auto loader but I want a snub for a walking around the neighborhood gun. A pistol I can put in my coat pocket. I have shot a M36 and some LW 5 shot smiths so recoil will not be a big deal to me. I wanted to know more about portability. Also ammo recomendations for a snub gun. I am leaning toward 158gr LSWC for Penetration. Your thoughts would be appriciated and I bow to your knowledge.

Slopemeno

That's a pretty practical setup. I have a lightweight Model 38, and I really like it. Surprisingly accurate too.

p99guy

One of the few loads made specifically for 2 inch revolvers is the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain .38 Special +P The round was developed for the NYPD for all the 2 inch back up/ off duty guns they use. It has a good record in shootings so far, and its what I carry in my model 638 Airweight Bodyguard.(they are rated for +p)
One thing that helps alot is having grips that are comfortable...I don't like the tiny "boot" grips for actual shooting. I got the 638 that comes from the factory with the crimson trace laser grips that allow a full 3 finger hold, and have a rubber cushioned backstrap- they make the gun quite pleasent to shoot. The Crimson Trace grips are very helpful once you sight them in.
You cant beat thier accuracy under street light conditions/ dusk /dawn/inside buildings (anywhere except bright direct sunlight) they dont replace iron sights but complements them. I normally carry
in a Galco horsehide pocket holster, and at least one reload (HKS speedloader)
imgp3723wm5.jpg

Last edited:

boxerrider

I have a model 49 I carry a lot in a round Mika pocket holster. It's great for slipping in my jacket or front pants pocket for things like quick trips to the store. The 38 should be even nicer to carry because of the lighter weight.

Enjoy!

psyfly

Sam06:

I have more than one carry option :).

But my always carry is my M38 Bodyguard. Fits in pretty much any pocket, with or without a pocket holster and, mostly, you can forgt it's there until you need it.

It shoots POA with 110gr. Silvertips (standard pressure, I don't shoot +P in it).

And, contrary to most opinions, I think it's gorgeous!

I love that S&W deep blue finish and, even though it's nearly 40 years old, it doesn't even have a cylinder ring on it yet.

Love it.

Best,

Will

KyJim

I carry an Airweight Model 38 in warm weather, mostly in a pocket holster. If you buy an older one which is not rated for +P ammo, take a look at some standard pressure loads for short barreled revolvers worked up by BuffaloBore -- http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#standard38.

I consider mine to be strictly a short range pistol but it is light to carry and I wouldn't want to be without it.

vox rationis

I absolutely love my 638! For me it is a must have!

I love having the ability to manipulate the hammer. Especially with that darn lock, as I can quickly function check to make sure that the action isn't locked. Not to mention that I can also look into the hammer channel and even see that the little tab isn't up. The ability for a nice crisp SA shot if needed is also appreciated.

Sam06

I got a little tear in my eye from the Bodyguard poster:) What was the song that went with it? That was a nice touch though. I am not much of a revolver carry man but I am starting to lean that way now that I have carried a SemiAuto for 30 years. I love revolvers and as I said most of mine are big bore big barrel. Thanks so much for the info and when I get a M38 I will post a photo. I am thinking along the lines of a nice used gun. One with some wear but still tight. I like the older Smiths with no hole. Like Vlad I don't want to be dropping the hammer and hear click. click, click.. That would **** me off if I was a BG. I am thinking of a pocket holster. I am sold on a holster. I carry a G26 now and there is no way would carry a Glock w/o a holster of some kind. I will use the gun as a jacket pocket gun when walking with a speed strip or a SKS stripper clip for an ammo resupply. The cool thing about a SKS stripper clip is they will hold 8-9 38/357 shells and they are cheap. For ammo I am still leaning toward heavy and slow. I am not sold on HP ammo but I may change my mind with some research.

Again thanks for the response all, even the Bodyguard poster:eek:(I thought Kevin had a BHP in that movie)...........Sam

Last edited:

Casimer

The one thing about the Model 38's is that the anodizing on the frame isn't especially durable - it's OK, but chips pretty easily and can bubble at the seams where the frame plates join. I'm considering having mine coated w/ a more durable finish.

Another option for loading is to have the cylinder cut for moon clips. I use the TK Custom moonclips w/ mine and am very pleased - you can either load using the MC or per the standard method.

ISP2605

I've been carrying a humpback S&W everyday since 1975. Prior to retirement as a LEO I carried them as my backup, second, covert, and off duty guns. Since retirement it is my usual summer carry since they conceal so well. I've carried them on every part of the body you can imagine They've been drug thru all kinds of weather conditions since when in uniform I wore them in an ankle rig. I carried the blued 49 from 1975 until 1995 when I came across the 649.
For a short time I had a nickle 38 but one of the guys talked me out of it. He wanted it bad. He offerred me a lot more money than I had in it and it was close to what a new one cost if you could get one. It was an offer I couldn't refuse and I always figured to pick up another one. I really don't notice the few extra ounces on the all steel models and they are a lot more comfortable to shoot.
The only duty ammo I've shot out of them have been either W-W or Fed 158 gr LSWCHP+P. It's not something you feel like shooting a few hundred rds out of at a time but recoil is very controllable.
They're as accurate as the shooter. I use to be able to keep 5 rd on a silhouette at 100 yds. Just took some practice.

49-649L.jpg

deputy tom

I like them fine.Have been carrying a bodygard in one form or another for close to forty years.Great pocket gun and you can thumb cock them if you need to.YMMV.tom.:D

Sulaco2

Have one of the Airweight hump backs and put laser grips on it. Man what difference in rapid close shooting! Its now my carry along when I travel far from home and want to pack light.

WESHOOT2

wife's M38

IMO the finest snub-gun.

We load hers with a custom-made :rolleyes: 140g XTP-HP load that offers very modest recoil but superb accuracy.
Hers wears Pachmayr stocks.

A 'perfect' choice. Suggest controllable ammo choices; the middle-weight bullets offer balance; the 158g choices offer more performance.